Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can we control Karma?

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Can we control karma? Is it possible to heal bad karma within ourselves? For instance, in the Christian sense, sins we committed out of ignorance before we came to know Jesus, are simply washed away by asking for forgiveness. Is it really that simple tho?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Hi there.

Your question is can we control karma?

Yes, we can control karma to a certain extent.

Why I say certain extent is because, we aren't smart enough or equipped with the right data, to predict accurately what will come to pass by each of our actions.(past, present and future)
    You don't know how one thing might affect another down the road.

If however we did know every factor (and i mean even quantum randomness), we could control karma completely, but if we were that good we'd probably eliminate karma all together and become Buddhas.

Your question probably has some personal root, maybe I could help more if I knew the specifics.
  • edited July 2009
    Also just to follow up further,

What you have to realize perhaps,
    is that you are not the same person u were 5 minutes ago.
    you are a forever changing entity. A stream, you have no soul, you have no solid self.

Now, if u have done something bad in the past, the only way to heal it in a sense, is to not repeat the same mistake.

We have many lessons to learn.
    In my opinion the only way to fail or sin, is to ignore these lessons.
  • edited July 2009
    Suzanne52 wrote: »
    For instance, in the Christian sense, sins we committed out of ignorance before we came to know Jesus, are simply washed away by asking for forgiveness. Is it really that simple tho?

No, not even in Christianity. It is not as simple as asking for forgiveness. Forgiveness comes when you truly see your "sins" and choose to no longer commit them. I can ask forgiveness every night for stealing, but if I still choose a path as a thief, I am not ready for forgiveness. I don't think it's too far off in Buddhism, but I'm even more ignorant in that area than in Christianity. :confused:
  • edited July 2009
    "Your question probably has some personal root, maybe I could help more if I knew the specifics."

No, not really.......
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Suzanne

Yes. We can control kamma. This is the Buddhist path. The Buddha taught:
    "And what is the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma? Just this noble eightfold path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. This is called the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma.

Kamma Sutta

The Buddha also said:
    When one falls back on what was done in the past as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected.

Tittha Sutta

:)
    edited July 2009
    It is not as simple as asking for forgiveness. Forgiveness comes when you truly see your "sins" and choose to no longer commit them. I can ask forgiveness every night for stealing, but if I still choose a path as a thief, I am not ready for forgiveness. I don't think it's too far off in Buddhism, but I'm even more ignorant in that area than in Christianity. :confused:
    I agree fully here,

Regarding Buddhism, naturally it teaches forgiveness. :)
    Then the thought occurred to Ven. Pukkusati: "Surely, the Teacher has come to me! Surely, the One Well-gone has come to me! Surely, the Rightly Self-awakened One has come to me!" Getting up from his seat, arranging his upper robe over one shoulder and bowing down with his head at the Blessed One's feet, he said, "A transgression has overcome me, lord, in that I was so foolish, so muddle-headed, and so unskilled as to assume that it was proper to address the Blessed One as 'friend.' May the Blessed One please accept this confession of my transgression as such, so that I may achieve restraint in the future."

"Yes, monk, a transgression overcame you in that you were so foolish, so muddle-headed and so unskilled as to assume that it was proper to address me as 'friend.' But because you see your transgression as such and make amends in accordance with the Dhamma, we accept your confession. For it is a cause of growth in the Dhamma & Discipline of the noble ones when, seeing a transgression as such, one makes amends in accordance with the Dhamma and achieves restraint in the future."

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta

Every evening, good Theravada Buddhists recite the following verses:
    Whatever bad kamma I have done,
    in relation to the Dhamma,
    by body, by speech, or by mind,
    may the Dhamma accept my admission of it,
    so that in the future I may be more careful regarding the Dhamma.

Evening Chanting

And of course, nothing is more renowned than the story of Angulimala:
    Then the Blessed One, early in the morning,...carrying his robes & bowl, went along the road to where Angulimala was staying.

Cowherds, shepherds, & farmers saw him going along the road to where Angulimala was staying, and on seeing him said to him, "Don't go along that road, contemplative, for on that road is Angulimala: brutal, bloody-handed, devoted to killing & slaying, showing no mercy to living beings. He has turned villages into non-villages, towns into non-towns, settled countryside into unsettled countryside. Having repeatedly killed human beings, he wears a garland made of fingers. Groups of ten, twenty, thirty, & forty men have gone along that road, and even they have fallen into Angulimala's hands."

When this was said, the Blessed One kept going in silence.

Then Angulimala saw the Blessed One coming from afar and on seeing him, this thought occurred to him: "Isn't it amazing! Isn't it astounding! Groups of ten, twenty, thirty, & forty men have gone along this road, and even they have fallen into my hands, and yet now this contemplative comes attacking, as it were, alone and without a companion. Why don't I kill him?"

So Angulimala, taking up his sword & shield, buckling on his bow & quiver, followed right behind the Blessed One.

Then the Blessed One willed a feat of psychic power such that Angulimala, though running with all his might, could not catch up with the Blessed One walking at normal pace.

Then the thought occurred to Angulimala: "Isn't it amazing! Isn't it astounding! In the past I've chased & seized even a swift-running elephant, a swift-running horse, a swift-running chariot, a swift-running deer. But now, even though I'm running with all my might, I can't catch up with this contemplative walking at normal pace."

So he stopped and called out to the Blessed One, "Stop, contemplative! Stop!"

"I have stopped, Angulimala. You stop."

Then the thought occurred to Angulimala, "These Sakyan contemplatives are speakers of the truth, asserters of the truths, and yet this contemplative, even while walking, says, 'I have stopped, Angulimala. You stop.' Why don't I question him?"

So Angulimala the bandit addressed this verse to the Blessed One:

"While walking, contemplative, you say, 'I have stopped.' But when I have stopped you say I haven't. I ask you the meaning of this: How have you stopped? How haven't I?"

[The Buddha:]
    "I have stopped, Angulimala, once & for all, having cast off violence toward all living beings. You, though, are unrestrained toward beings. That's how I've stopped and you haven't."

[Angulimala:]
    "At long last a greatly revered great seer for my sake has come to the great forest. Having heard your verse in line with the Dhamma, I will go about having abandoned evil."

So saying, the bandit hurled his sword & weapons over a cliff into a chasm, a pit. Then the bandit paid homage to the feet of the One Well-gone, and right there requested the Going-forth. The Awakened One, the compassionate great seer, the teacher of the world, along with its devas, said to him then: "Come, bhikkhu." That in itself was monkhood for him.

Then the Blessed One set out wandering toward Savatthi with Ven. Angulimala as his attendant monk.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    One can control karma in a sense by learning how to not create "bad" karma and create "good" karma instead. As for karma you've already created, however, that's not so easy. Karma, as the Buddha taught, is exacting. Since both cause and effect arise simultaneously, you can't avoid the effect. It's already there. It's just that with our dualistic, linear thinking it seems to arise some time in the future.

There are techniques to purify karma, though you can never eliminate it totally. A tantric technique to purify karma is the practice of Vajrasattva. It is very powerful, but again, you can never fully eliminate karma.

Palzang
    edited July 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Karma, as the Buddha taught, is exacting. There are techniques to purify karma, though you can never eliminate it totally.
    Kamma, as the Theravada Buddha taught is a general principle rather than an exacting truth. Buddha taught the elimination of kamma (as quoted).

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Well, you're just flat wrong, DD.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2009
    DD, THe Buddha taught the cessation of kamma. That is, the prevention of the arising of future kamma by addressing one's behaviour through the Eightfold Path and 5 precepts. Cessation does not mean elimination.
    What is done is done, and cannot be undone. But it can be remedied by increasing the good until it outweighs the bad.
    Be careful regarding interpretation.
    Thus is Wrong View transmitted......

With Metta,

Fede _/l\_ ;)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    The Buddha taught that past actions can't be undone, but he also taught that their effects can be somewhat mitigated (AN 3.99).
    edited July 2009
    federica wrote: »
    DD, THe Buddha taught the cessation of kamma. That is, the prevention of the arising of future kamma by addressing one's behaviour through the Eightfold Path and 5 precepts. Cessation does not mean elimination.
    Dear Federica

Prevention is prevention. Cessation is cessation. Prevention is not cessation and cessation is not prevention.

The Buddha advised there are four right efforts. The first right effort is for prevention and the fourth right effort is for the bringing of the Noble Eightfold Path to fulfilment.
    "What is right effort? Herein a monk puts forth will, strives, stirs up energy, strengthens his mind, exerts himself to prevent the arising of evil, of unwholesome states that have not yet arisen; puts forth will... (as before) to banish the evil, unwholesome states that have already arisen; puts forth will... to develop wholesome states that have not yet arisen; and puts forth will, strives, stirs up energy, strengthens his mind, exerts himself to maintain, to preserve, increase, to bring them to maturity, development, and to complete the wholesome states that have arisen. This is called right effort.

MN 141

The word cessation comes from the Pali 'nirodha'. Nirodha actually means 'quenching' and 'freedom' rather than 'cessation'. However, even as 'cessation', it means the ending and complete elimination of any karmic fruits or results. Karmic fruits and results are things such as craving, addiction, habit, remorse, regret, fear, grief over loss and so forth.

The term nirodha in the Pali is permanent cessation and not a temporary cessation. The word for temporary cessation is atungama. For example, when the Buddha taught about dukkha nirodha in the 3rd Noble Truth, this is the permanent cessation of or freedom from suffering, namely, Nibbana.

Thus, as I advised, the Eightfold Noble Path is the path that ends all karmic result or fruit by the purification & liberation of mind. The Buddha taught as such:
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good and to purify one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.

Dhammapada
    273. Of all the paths the Eightfold Path is the best.

274. This is the only path; there is none other for the purification of insight.

275. Walking upon this path you will make an end of suffering.

277. "All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. "All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

Dhammapada
    What is done is done, and cannot be undone. But it can be remedied by increasing the good until it outweighs the bad.
    The teaching of karma is not about actions per se but rather about their results (vipaka). An action without a result is neutral rather than 'karmic'. For example, a factor of the Noble Eightfold Path is right action. The actions are 'right' here according to Nibbana, because they have no result. The actions of the Noble Eightfold Path are not 'good' actions. They are pure actions and void actions.
    And what is the right action that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? Abstaining from killing, from taking what is not given, & from illicit sex. This is the right action that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right action that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The abstaining, desisting, abstinence, avoidance of the three forms of bodily misconduct of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is without effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right action that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

MN 117
    The English translation of 'cessation' comes from the word 'nirodha'. Nirodha is synonomous to the word 'Nibbana'. Nibbana is the cessation of all greed, hatred & delusion and asava. The asava are the outflows. Outflows include all manner of defilements & hindrances, such as remorse. Remorse is easily understood as a result of kamma. The Buddha advised about the ending of the hindrances (nirvarana) and outflows (asava) in many places:
    Similarly, so long as these five hindrances are not abandoned in him, a monk considers himself as indebted, as ailing, as imprisoned, as enslaved, as traveling in a wilderness.

But when these five hindrances are abandoned, he considers himself as free from debt, rid of illness, emancipated from the prison's bondage, as a free man, and as one arrived at a place of safety.

And when he sees himself free of these five hindrances, joy arises; in him who is joyful, rapture arises; in him whose mind is enraptured, the body is stilled; the body being stilled, he feels happiness; and a happy mind finds concentration.

Samannaphala Sutta
    This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents (asava).

Samadhi Sutta

Of a mind completely purified of results of kamma, the Buddha advised:
    412. He who in this world has transcended the ties of both merit and demerit, who is sorrowless, stainless and pure — him do I call a holy man.

413. He, who, like the moon, is spotless and pure, serene and clear, who has destroyed the delight in existence — him do I call a holy man.

420. He whose track no gods, no angels, no humans can trace, the arahant who has destroyed all cankers [asava] — him do I call a holy man.

Dhammapada
    This is the cessation of fermentations I]asava[/I... This is the way leading to the cessation of fermentations.' With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.' There is nothing further for this world.'

Just as if there were a pool of water in a mountain glen — clear, limpid, and unsullied — where a man with good eyesight standing on the bank could see shells, gravel, and pebbles, and also shoals of fish swimming about and resting, and it would occur to him, 'This pool of water is clear, limpid, and unsullied'.

Consciousness without feature,
    without end, luminous all around:
    Here water, earth, fire, & wind have no footing.
    Here long & short
    coarse & fine
    fair & foul
    name & form are all brought to an end.

Kevatta Sutta

The Buddhist path is for the cessation of suffering & anything connected to suffering (such as remorse from past kamma). Buddha has advised us the Noble Eightfold Path is the kamma that ends kamma.

With metta

DDhatu

edited July 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    The Buddha taught that past actions can't be undone, but he also taught that their effects can be somewhat mitigated (AN 3.99).
    Hi Jason,

This sutta is very useful but it is mundane rather than supramundane. It ends by revealing an "opportunity" to end suffering. It makes known a way, method or path but not the end of that path.
    "Monks, for anyone who says, 'In whatever way a person makes kamma, that is how it is experienced,' there is no living of the holy life, there is no opportunity for the right ending of stress. But for anyone who says, 'When a person makes kamma to be felt in such & such a way, that is how its result is experienced,' there is the living of the holy life, there is the opportunity for the right ending of stress."
    This sutta appears to comment on the view "what is done is done and cannot be undone". In other words, this sutta states for one holding such views, there is no living of the spiritual life, there is no opportunity for the right ending of suffering.

If we are interesting in the Buddha-Dhamma, it is essential we have right understanding that any manner of suffering, including remorse and regret from our past kamma, can be ended through right wisdom and right practise of the Noble Eightfold Path.

With much metta

DDhatu

"Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is defiled by incoming defilements. The uninstructed run-of-the-mill person doesn't discern that as it actually is present, which is why I tell you that — for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person — there is no development of the mind."

"Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is freed from incoming defilements. The well-instructed disciple of the noble ones discerns that as it actually is present, which is why I tell you that — for the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones — there is development of the mind."

Pabhassara Sutta
    edited July 2009
    Dear friends,

For those beginners interested in developing understanding about bad karma, good karma and the cessation of karma, I recommend the following reading:

Good, Evil & Beyond: Kamma in the Buddha's Teaching by P A Payutto
    For most people, including Buddhists, any interest in kamma tends to be centered around the first three kinds of kamma, completely disregarding the fourth kind, even though this last kind of kamma is one of the pivotal teachings of Buddhism and leads to its ultimate goal.

The fourth kind of kamma...rather than causing the accumulation of more kamma...leads to the cessation of kamma.

Kamma in Buddhism by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa
    Nowadays, wrong teachings concerning kamma are publicized in books by various Indian and Western writers under titles such as "Kamma and Rebirth." Although they are presented in the name of Buddhism, they are actually about kamma and rebirth as understood in Hinduism. So the right teaching of Buddhism is misrepresented. This should be recognized and corrected so that the Buddhist kamma principle can be preserved in its undistorted essence. The Buddha accepted as correct — that is, as not a wrong understanding of kamma — the half-formed teaching concerning good and evil deeds and their results that was presented before his time and outside his teaching. However, he added to it a final aspect, namely, the end of kamma, which is the essential Buddhist principle, thus completing the teaching on kamma." <O:p</O:p

In conclusion, as Buddhists let’s try to do only the kamma that is the end of kamma. When we see that kamma has occupied and ruled our lives, we will strive to practice, improve ourselves and fight in every possible way to triumph over both good and evil kamma, so that none of them will oppress our minds. Let’s develop minds that are clean, clear and calm because no kamma and no results disturb it.<O:p</O:p

With metta,

DDhatu

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    No one really knows what "nirodha" means. There is an issue of translation uncertainty right at the core of the contemporary understanding of Buddhism. See David Brazier, for example.
    edited July 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    No one really knows what "nirodha" means. There is an issue of translation uncertainty right at the core of the contemporary understanding of Buddhism. See David Brazier, for example.
    Five Bells,

David Brazier may not know what 'nirodha' means but enlightened beings understand what it means. If no one really knew what "nirodha" means then no one has realised the Third Noble Truth.

How sad would that be? No one has realised freedom from suffering.

:(

"What is the Noble Truth of the nirodha of suffering? It is the complete cessation of that very craving, giving it up, relinquishing it, liberating oneself from it and detaching oneself from it. This is called the Noble Truth of the cessation of suffering.
    One way traces the etymology to "ni" (without) + "rodha" (prison, confine, obstacle, wall, impediment), thus rendering the meaning as "without impediment," "free of confinement." This is explained as "free of impediments, that is, the confinement of samsara." Another definition traces the origin to anuppada, meaning "not arising", and goes on to say "nirodha here does not mean bhanga, breaking up and dissolution."

A problem with the word "nirodha" by P A Payutto
    edited July 2009
    Can you cite a linguistic analysis of the Pali from which that quote is translated? Otherwise, you're just begging the question.

Edit: I see you added an etymological claim to the post above. Thanks. I will look into it if I have the time.
    edited July 2009
    Hi Five Bells,

The Buddha taught the 'fires' of greed, hatred & delusion or craving (literally 'thirst') are the origination of suffering. When these 'fires' are extinguished or this 'thirst' is quenched, this is nirodha. What remains is coolness (Nibbana) & freedom (vimutti).

The following quote sums up the matter well. It does so because if one holds, for example with dependent origination, 'consciousness ceases' rather than is 'quenched & liberated', one's understanding of Buddha-Dhamma and Dependent Origination will take on a different perspective.
    When that consciousness is unestablished, not coming to growth, nongenerative, it is liberated. By being liberated, it is steady; by being steady, it is content; by being content, he is not agitated. Being not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana.

SN 22.53

edited July 2009
    Can you cite a linguistic analysis of the Pali from which that quote is translated?
    The sutta quote is unrelated to the linguistic analysis. Their sources differ.

In the Third Noble Truth, the Buddha taught dukkha nirodha or the nirodha of suffering.

As the linguistics show, the meaning is 'freedom' from and the 'non-arising' of suffering & its causes.

edited July 2009
    Suzanne52 wrote: »
    Can we control karma? Is it possible to heal bad karma within ourselves? For instance, in the Christian sense, sins we committed out of ignorance before we came to know Jesus, are simply washed away by asking for forgiveness. Is it really that simple tho?
    What is done is done, and cannot be undone.
    Dear Federica

Christianity offers 'New Life with Jesus Christ'.
    In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

John 3
    I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.

John 15
    We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6
    How sad would it be if Buddhism did not offer such renewal but instead offerred to us to carry around our old stinking stale rotting baggage forever. What priestly tyranny!

On the highest level, Buddha taught the 'doer' of bad kamma is ignorance. Ignorance is a defilement or kilesa. Ignorance is not a person.

On a lower level, Buddha taught forgiveness & renewel.

Then Ven. Angulimala, early in the morning, having put on his robes and carrying his outer robe & bowl, went into Savatthi for alms. As he was going from house to house for alms, he saw a woman suffering a breech birth. On seeing her, the thought occurred to him: "How tormented are living beings! How tormented are living beings!"

Then, having wandered for alms in Savatthi and returning from his alms round after his meal, he went to the Blessed One. On arrival, having bowed down to him, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One, "Just now, lord, early in the morning, having put on my robes and carrying my outer robe & bowl, I went into Savatthi for alms. As I was going from house to house for alms, I saw a woman suffering a breech birth. On seeing her, the thought occurred to me: 'How tormented are living beings! How tormented are living beings!'"

"In that case, Angulimala, go to that woman and on arrival say to her, 'Sister, since I was born I do not recall intentionally killing a living being. Through this truth may there be wellbeing for you, wellbeing for your child.'"

"But, lord, wouldn't that be a lie for me? For I have intentionally killed many living beings."

"Then in that case, Angulimala, go to that woman and on arrival say to her, 'Sister, since I was born in the noble birth, I do not recall intentionally killing a living being. Through this truth may there be wellbeing for you, wellbeing for your child.'"

Responding, "As you say, lord," to the Blessed One, Angulimala went to that woman and on arrival said to her, "Sister, since I was born in the noble birth, I do not recall intentionally killing a living being. Through this may there be wellbeing for you, wellbeing for your child." And there was wellbeing for the woman, wellbeing for her child.

Angulimala Sutta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Karma is volitional action.

When my sister says something that angers me I have control over how I react to it. I can give in to the knee jerk reaction and say something angry back to her or I can summon the understanding and wisdom I've thus far gained and react in a calm, positive manner. The choice is mine and I have time to make it. Therefore, I have control over my karma, my volitional actions. They are subject to my free will.

So, to answer the original question, yes, we can certainly control our karma. How skillfully we do so depends on how far we've come in our psycho/spiritual development. When we know better, we do better.
    edited July 2009
    What are your volitional actions, when there is no you? There is something deeply amiss, here...
    edited July 2009
    Liberation can be something very profound, when one starts entering into the sphere of 'no-self', 'emptiness', etc.

However, for basic renewal & forgiveness it is not necessary to go so deep.

Buddha taught all bad karma and all suffering & harm are ultimately created by ignorance rather than by some kind of 'personal volition'.

For example, imagine two young teenage lovers who fall apart resulting in all manner of heartbreak, pain & confusion. There is no need to blame anyone here as is often the case.

All harm & sufffering are due to ignorance. The minds of both people did not know what they were doing & did not understand the consquences of their actions.

If their minds did understand, they would not have creating the mess in the first place.

Everything we do in life is merely a lesson for learning. The Buddha-Dhamma is overflowing with forgiveness.

edited July 2009
    This sutta appears to comment on the view "what is done is done and cannot be undone". In other words, this sutta states for one holding such views, there is no living of the spiritual life, there is no opportunity for the right ending of suffering.

And yet, if I kill someone, I can't go back and un-kill them.

As for this particular sutta, I still think one of the things it implies is: past unskillful actions can't be undone, but their effects can be somewhat mitigated via present skillful actions.
    edited July 2009
    Jason,

I previously suggested an action is not 'karmic' when there are no results. This whole business of 'karma' is about the results of actions. For example, right action on the supramandane level does not accumulate karmic fruit.

Angulimala killed many beings but ate his alms food "free of indebtedness".

I advised previously, the sutta you quoted is merely mundane and offers an "opportunity". This opportunity is to be fully purified and renewed.

For what benefit or reason do you and others appear to wish for old karma to remain, like a rotten stinking corpse?

Why this obsession with old karma?

Do you let your fridge at home accumulate with stinking rotten food & leftovers or do you clean it out so it is sparkling, clean & smelling fresh?

For most people, including Buddhists, any interest in kamma tends to be centered around the first three kinds of kamma, completely disregarding the fourth kind, even though this last kind of kamma is one of the pivotal teachings of Buddhism and leads to its ultimate goal.

The fourth kind of kamma...rather than causing the accumulation of more kamma...leads to the cessation of kamma.

P A Payutto
    edited July 2009
    Jason,

I previously suggested an action is not 'karmic' when there are no results. This whole business of 'karma' is about the results of actions. For example, right action on the supramandane level does not accumulate karmic fruit.

Angulimala killed many beings but ate his alms food "free of indebtedness".

I advised previously, the sutta you quoted is merely mundane and offers an "opportunity". This opportunity is to be fully purified and renewed.

For what benefit or reason do you and others appear to wish for old karma to remain, like a rotten stinking corpse?

Why this obsession with old karma?

Do you let your fridge at home accumulate with stinking rotten food & leftovers or do you clean it out so it is sparkling, clean & smelling fresh?

Well, unless everyone you're preaching to is an arahant, I'd submit to you that "mundane" teachings are just as relevant as "supramundane" teachings as all of the Buddha's teachings are said to have one taste—the "taste of liberation" (Ud 5.5).

This has nothing to do with wishing for "old karma to remain, like a rotten stinking corpse," but understanding how kamma is presented in the suttas. For example, even arahants are shown to experience the results of their past actions (e.g., Angulimala, Maha Moggallana, etc.). The difference is that, with their minds released, only an arahant's body is affected, i.e., they no longer experience feelings of mental anguish (SN 36.6).

Unenlightened worldlings like myself, on the other hand, must experience both until such time as we no longer "accumulate karmic fruit." And as you say, this is an opportunity to be "fully purified and renewed," but doing so involves the mundane as well as the supramundane.
  • edited July 2009
    Can I make a totally unenlightened point? (Of course I can!) I'm going to go at this from the Christian point of view, since that was also originally part of the thread and I can explain better that way.

If I kill someone and I go to prison as my social punishment for that action, I can suffer both mentally and physically in prison as I serve my sentence. OR I can find peace and forgiveness even while I'm in prison. My body will still be punished by society, but my spirit cannot be once I have found forgiveness or "let go" if you will. In this way, I think you both can be correct.
    edited July 2009
    I think that's more or less a good analogy, mouthfulofclay.

Personally, I think the teachings on kamma are designed to illustrate the importance of personal responsibility — that actions have their consequences — but that, ultimately, actions only cause us suffering when they're done out of ignorance [of the four noble truths].

We can't control what we've already done, but we can control what we do with what we're presented with right now.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    What are your volitional actions, when there is no you? There is something deeply amiss, here...
    Hi, fivebells.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean. In what sense do you mean 'there is no you'? I mean other than the facts that there is no 'me' separate from all other phenomena and no everlasting 'soul' or entity that is 'me'?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    (Gee, I wonder how many more times I can write the word 'mean' in one post?)
    edited July 2009
    In the post I was responding to, there was a lot of language about choice and control. As a contingent entity arising dependently from other phenomena, what's in control? As Trungpa said (actually, as I've heard Ken McLeod say Trungpa said; I can't seem to find the original quote), "The illusion of choice is an indication of the lack of freedom."

Practice can lead to more space and flexibility in situations like the one you described with your sister, but practicing for choice and control is setting up a new arena for conflict between the "you" that would control and the "you" that you would control.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, fivebells.

Although my understanding isn't advanced enough to fully gasp the meaning in your answer I think I got enough of it to mull over in my head. It gives me a lot to think about.
    edited July 2009
    It's not really something to understand, it's something to experience in daily life. When a choice arises, asking "What is making this choice?" can bring the matter into focus. Asking the question and looking, without reaching for an intellectual answer, the looking looks at nothing.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi suzzanne,

I am assuming that you want to nullify the bad karma. You are looking for a control mechanism to undo it.

Going by laws of Karma
    -1 It cannot be undone by us (in a direct way)
    -2 However the effect of bad karma done in the past , can be minimised to an exten t
    by doing some good karma
    eg: Let's say you had hit some one (slapped very hard on someone's face) in a previous birth. ; and you also protected some one from physical abuse say in this birth.

-3 Going by laws of Karma ; both would result into some force of action
    Most probably in future if someone hits you - you would be protected / saved by another person. The reason some one would try to hit you (slap you) is because you did a similar thing in the past . But you would be protected because you also saved some one from physical abuse (so you would get the good result of that action as well)

(This was an example of nullifying bad karma)

-4 I will give you another example of minimising the effect of bad karma ; which is quite similar to the Christian concept of seeking forgiveness from HOLY FATHER
    When we seek forgiveness from HOLY FATHER we are asking HIM to reduce our karmic debt account (say from $10000 to $1000; but it cannot be made zero)

In Hinduism there is a similar concept of seeking forgiveness/ performing rituals - which is again another way of connecting to GOD and minimising bad karma
    If a person did a heinous sin of injuring someone badly (call it 7.5/10 ) in some previous birth;
    but that person over a period of time became saintly ; because of his good actions/seeking forgiveness , when he is about to be injured the impact would be less severe
    (Quote : You may have heard of miraculous incidents - bullets passing as tanget though the shoulder of a soldier; So as you can see the soldier was subjected to the attcak of a deadly bullet but he was miraculously saved ; the bullet just passed through the shoulder - resulting in a less critical injury)
    edited July 2009
    suman wrote: »
    Going by laws of Karma
    -1 It cannot be undone by us (in a direct way)
    -2 However the effect of bad karma done in the past , can be minimised to an extent by doing some good karma
    eg: Let's say you had hit some one (slapped very hard on someone's face) in a previous birth. ; and you also protected some one from physical abuse say in this birth.
    Hi Suman

To me, the laws of karma are known in the heart.

One does not need to do good or the opposite action to undo bad kamma.

One merely needs to refrain & understand one's previous action.

For example, when I was young, I used to go fishing. This does not mean I have to start a fish sanctuary to undo my karma.

edited July 2009
    Hi Suman

To me, the laws of karma are known in the heart.

One does not need to do good or the opposite action to undo bad kamma.

One merely needs to refrain & understand one's previous action.

For example, when I was young, I used to go fishing. This does not mean I have to start a fish sanctuary to undo my karma.

I second what DD has already said (see SN 42.8).

Although, I don't think there'd be any harm if DD did start a fish sanctuary. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Although, I don't think there'd be any harm if DD did start a fish sanctuary

Sounds lovely! You can come and build a small one in my back garden if you change your mind, DD! ;)

_/\_
    edited July 2009
    We have fish sanctuaries where I live. The fish understand also because when one snorkels there, one sees huge fish that one rarely sees fisherman catch.