Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma, rebirth and what makes a Buddhist

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hey all.

I've been reading about Buddhism for a while now, and I'm happy with what I've read, and It's a way I would like to live my life, but I've got a couple questions.

While I agree with most of the fundamental beliefs, I still do not believe in Karma (at least not in a divine, supernatural sense), rebirth or anything supernatural. Could I consider myself a Buddhist, or someone that lived with Buddhist-like qualities? Is there a school of Buddhism that would reflect these beliefs?

Sin.Osiris.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Hello Osiris

Not all Buddhists believe in or emphasise rebirth.

Teachers you can refer to include Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Amaro, Christopher Titmus, ...there are many. Even Thich Nhat Hanh teaches little about rebirth.

If one examines the earliest recorded teachings, one will find the Buddha generally did not teach rebirth to his monk disciples. For example, in his first three teachings, the Buddha did not mention rebirth. However the listeners gained enlightenment & liberation of mind.

The Buddha generally taught rebirth to those who already believed in rebirth and who came to him to ask questions about it. These people were usually Brahmins (Hindus) & ordinary folk. When the Buddha answered them, he did not teach meta-physics. He taught them rebirth in a way which would improve their ethical life and therefore minimise the harm they caused to themselves & others.

Each day, whilst all not comprehending, millions of Buddhists chant the following words about the essense of the Buddhist teachings:
    (LEADER):
    Now let us give high praise to the Dhamma:

(ALL):
    The Dhamma well-expounded by the Blessed One,

to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting all to come & see,

leading inward, to be seen by the wise for themselves:

I honor most highly that Dhamma,

To that Dhamma I bow my head down.
    These words come from the Buddha himself, who described his core & essential teachings in such a way.

I hope you take a strong interest in Buddhism because it is something so beneficial & liberating.

However, you do not have to believe in rebirth. If fact, in my opinion, to believe in rebirth is an obstacle to realising the higher teachings in Buddhism.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Who cares whether you're a Buddhist or not? If the practices and precepts make sense, why not adopt them regardless of the movement associated with them?