Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Introducing Myself

edited August 2009 in General Banter
I originally intended to make this introductory post in the introducing new members thread, until I saw that it contained over 114 pages of introductions. Yikes. I prefer to guage other's reactions to my introduction, so I hope the moderators won't mind.

Hello. My username is Thought Of Thought, which I feel expresses succinctly my buddhist inclinations. Living as I am in South Texas, there are not very many buddhist sects here, but I prefer to carry on without any direct teacher any way, though I admit a teacher would be helpful.

I am 19 years old, and will turn 20 this year on September 1st, and am starting my junior year in college this fall. The picture looks bleak, however... I'm not sure what I want to do with my life. In fact, there is only one goal I am currently setting my sights on, and it's not guaranteed to make me much in living wages.

I am currently designing an artificially constructed language; I have phonological rules and a basic grammar, and now just need to flesh out the grammar in depth, build up a lexicon, and work on semantics. It is my dream to write a complete encyclopedia of the con-people who will speak this con-language, detailing their con-culture, cities, history, and ideas to a T. And it will all be written in the language!

Eventually, I will self-publish the book. I don't have any high hopes for sales. But it is a life-long dream of mine. Something I can contribute to the world for when I am gone.

As to my buddhist inclincations, I want to achieve full enlightenment, in the decidedly non-zen sense. I have... been sidetracked as of late. But I feel I am now stepping onto the right path. It will not be an easy journey. I am wracked with uncertainty and doubt as to whether I will succeed. But it is an aspiration I am willing to undertake, to my ultimate demise, if that is where it leads me.

Technically, I am a brown muchacho. But in reality, I am incredibly anglicised and don't identify with Mexican culture at all. Well, maybe slightly. I enjoy new year's menudo with prickly pear. I'm capable of being moved to tears by the balladio de la gaucho. I can dance. But I play D&D, love british literature, and want to learn german instead of Spanish. Like I said, I'm a weird one.

So. That's my introduction. I feel like I'll get along with you guys just fine. And I'm sure I'll get answers to my questions. Thanks for having me here,
--Thought Of Thought

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to the forum, Thought Of Thought. :)

P.S. I like your avatar.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to the forum, TforT.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Oooops.

T of T. :)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Welcome T of T, what a noble pursuit, to create a language and a culture to fit it. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but you are following in the footsteps of the great J. R. R. Tolkien who created stories with creatures and cultures and languages, complete with grammar and the works, to suit. I applaud your effort. Good luck with that.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I am 19 years old, and will turn 20 this year on September 1st, and am starting my junior year in college this fall. The picture looks bleak, however... I'm not sure what I want to do with my life.

Good lord, what 19 year old halfway through college does? :tonguec:

I think you're doing just fine.

Palzang