Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kindness with Wisdom

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Dear All,

I'd like to ask for your opinion about the concept of kindness with wisdom in Buddhism. Is it right if we say that the act of kindness must be targeted to people who are really in need? How should we know if we are allowed help others or not? For example, let's say after a bowling session, there are around 50 bowling balls that need to be kept from the bowling track area to the shelf. There was an aged lady who was on duty to keep all of them in place. Looking at her moving the balls one by one to the shelf, should we help her or just let her be, since it was her duty?

I know this is simple little thing, but i've heard many people telling me not to do something (as simple as throwing used eating utensils to the dustbin in a dining hall) because "it's their job to do that". Am I only meddlesome? Hope to hear your opinion on this.

Cheers

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    fedora,

I don't think it's all that complicated, really. Kindness isn't something we should ration; we should try to be kind to everyone and help whomever we're inclined to help.

The main thing to remember is that we're responsible for our own actions (AN 5.57), and in my opinion, we should worry more about what we think is the right thing to do than what other people tell us is the right thing because they don't have to live with the consequences.

Jason
  • edited July 2009
    I get the feeling that kindness is a spontaneous thing, and not something to be forced. Listen to your heart is the best advice I can give.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Kindness without wisdom is pretty useless.
    In order to be kind, with wisdom, you need to separate the "I am doing a kind thing for someone" and the "I hope they appreciate I am being kind" from the action itself.
    You do something out of kindness, but you simply focus on the beneficial action, without any agenda.
    No "I hope they don't mind me doing this"
    No "I don't care if I get told off, I'm still doing it!"

Just do it, because Wisdom and Kindness - or occasionally, Compassion - go together (as it's often said) like the two wings on a bird, without one of which, the bird cannot fly.

Don't do a kindness.
    BE a kindness.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    fedora wrote: »
    Is it right if we say that the act of kindness must be targeted to people who are really in need?
    Kindness benefits us personally. For example, Buddha taught from generosity comes beauty, strength, long-life, happiness & self-respect.

Kindness is good human relations plus it makes us open-hearted and open-handed, free from what the Buddha called "the stain of stingyness".
    There was an aged lady who was on duty to keep all of them in place. Looking at her moving the balls one by one to the shelf, should we help her or just let her be, since it was her duty?
    Your example is a good example. The lady may feel offended if you ask her does she need help in the wrong way. So getting to know the lady via friendship may be the way to proceed if you really think she does need help.
    I know this is simple little thing, but i've heard many people telling me not to do something (as simple as throwing used eating utensils to the dustbin in a dining hall) because "it's their job to do that".
    I do this often myself. I think you are being helpful.
    Am I only meddlesome? Hope to hear your opinion on this.
    My opinion is you have kindness of heart and kindness of intentions. The Buddha instructed one should often contemplate (as a meditation) one's own good qualities.

Kind regards

:)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    There are acts of kindness, and then there is the mental state of loving-kindness. Whether a given act is kind or wise is something about which Buddhism has very little to say. But by opening to all circumstances with loving-kindness, there is more space afforded for the possibility of kind and wise acts.
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you very much for all your opinions! I'm very happy to understand from all of you that Kindness with Wisdom simply means sincere spontaneous feeling&action of wanting others happiness, it's not that one should first consider carefully whether an act of kindness at the end would really benefit the recipient, so as to be a form of wise action.

I'm a new in this forum, and i find it very useful already! I hope to learn more from all of you! Thanks again! =)