Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist dress and hair

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello World,
I would like to know why buddhist's monks all wear simmilar garb (clothes etc) the world over, by this I am talking about the maroon robe and shaved head etc. Is this not to show their rank and authority on the subject? If we acknowledge the oneness with all then why stand apart ? also does this not feed the need to aspire to this level? to get recognition from family and friends to show that they have "made it" to this level?
Could I not argue that to truly liberate oneself from the greed and desire, the attachment to ego, pride and self then one must refuse this dress? and on that, what would happen if you joined a monastery and chose not to wear the correct dress:confused:

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    The basic rules for how monks and nuns dress are laid down in the monastic code. But they do vary somewhat from country to country. The reason for the dress is both to indicate detachment from worldly things (hairstyle, fashion, etc.) and so that they stand out and any deviation from monastic conduct (which differs from lay conduct) is noticable.
  • edited July 2009
    I think you're too attached to the problem. :D
  • edited July 2009
    But what is the problem ?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Hi, Datum.

I don't think there is a problem. You're simply asking questions.

if you'd like to know more about monastic dress and so forth you can read about it in the Vinaya Pitaka, the Buddha's very detailed monastic code.

There are various colours for robes depending on what tradition/school the monastic follows. In the Thai Forest Tradition, for example, the monks wear ocher coloured robes. That's a pale brownish yellow colour.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Questions are all very well, and I personally welcome dialogue. It is after all, what forums like this are for - it keeps them going.
    But sometimes, it might help to ask what relevance or importance certain things might have.
    I often find myself pondering certain enigmatic things, to then ask myself,
    "How does this help my practice?"

If it really adds nothing, then I leave it aside.

There are more pressing things for me to address....like why I think a fly is any less a sentient being than a cat, for example.......:D ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Datum wrote: »
    Hello World,
    I would like to know why buddhist's monks all wear simmilar garb (clothes etc) the world over, by this I am talking about the maroon robe and shaved head etc. Is this not to show their rank and authority on the subject?

No, it's to show that they have left the home life... there are many reasons for this, for instance it allows them to be recognized on alms round, stops women from chasing after them, lets them recognize one another, etc. Given that this is merely a formality, you should not look for any special meaning in the fact that monks wear robes; it has not much to do really with dhamma practice, except that it is clearly a form of contentment and renunciation, both of which are useful in meditation practice.
    If we acknowledge the oneness with all then why stand apart ?

You may be surprised to learn that not all Buddhists "acknowledge the oneness with all". Particularly the Theravada tradition (the one most stressing the monastic tradition, I think...), which acknowledges the existence of body and mind in every experience, as well as the individuality of mind streams (beings).
    also does this not feed the need to aspire to this level? to get recognition from family and friends to show that they have "made it" to this level?

These seem like silly questions... one wears robes as a matter of course, just like soldiers or Maytag repairmen.
    Could I not argue that to truly liberate oneself from the greed and desire, the attachment to ego, pride and self then one must refuse this dress?

As has been implied, attachment to this matter might instead do much to prolong the rounds of rebirth.
    and on that, what would happen if you joined a monastery and chose not to wear the correct dress:confused:

You don't just "join" a monastery as a monk... you have to be ordained :) You can, of course, join as a lay person, but you will not be treated as a member of the monastic order, since you have not been accepted into the order.

Yuttadhammo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to the site, Phra Noah. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Barbara O'Brien recently discussed this topic in her posts, and included a small gallery, etc.

The Buddha's robe comes in many forms and colors, from the traditional saffron robes of southeast Asia; to the formal sleeved robes of China, Japan and Korea; to the maroon and yellow ensembles of Tibet. This issue looks at the diversity of Buddhist monks' robes and shows how they evolved, and also what they have in common. And yes, I hope to do a nun's fashion issue some time in the future.
    Article: http://buddhism.about.com/od/thefirstbuddhists/a/robes.htm

Gallery: http://buddhism.about.com/od/thefirstbuddhists/ig/The-Buddha-s-Robe/
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Datum,

Monastic dress, like monastic vows, satirise what the worldly value.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    The robes simply indicate a level of vows. The vows of the ordained person are more stringent than those of lay people, so they don't enjoy the liberties of lay people in choosing their clothing, their hair styles, and so forth. The robes, even though they differ from tradition to tradition, still represent the robes of the Buddha, and even to see them is said to carry a blessing. It has nothing to do with monks and nuns being somehow "special".

Palzang
  • edited July 2009
    The original stated reasons for the robes were so that the monks could nourish detachment from possessions and self-adornment, thus diminishing the sense of selfhood and the subsequent delusions, eventually helping them to realize anatta, dukkha and anicca.

These days, though, in my experience monks wear the robes simply because it's required by the particular tradition they ordain into. To do otherwise would make them 'bad' (unskilled) monks. In my experience, most of them are happy about it. Some of them are even proud of it, and that's just the 'fetter' that's on their menu for the time being. It is a considerable relief to not have to ponder or fret about what you're going to wear today. ^^^
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    It is a considerable relief to not have to ponder or fret about what you're going to wear today. ^^^
    I couldn't agree more. I wore a school uniform for 7 years (from grade 5 to 11) and loved it not because it made me stand out or for what it represented but because it freed me from having to join in the fashion frenzy/insanity that affects so many Western teenaged girls. I like to look at high fashion as an art form but other than that I think fashion is a scourge. :lol: It also bores me to tears. Going to an all girls school and having to dress fashionably every day would have ruined my otherwise happy and productive school experience. And the shopping it would have involved! I shudder to think! Ugh!
  • edited August 2009
    I had two sets of robes. I remember waking up one morning and saying to myself, 'Well, which one should I wear today? The brown one or the other brown one?' :thumbsup:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    A similar thing happened to me when I and another monk were in Mongolia. There were lots of Mormon missionaries all over the place like flies, and they always wore exactly the same thing - white shirt, ties, dark slacks. One day I and the other monk were walking down the street when a couple of them passed by. I remarked to him that you'd think they would get tired of wearing the same thing every day. Then we looked at each other in our robes, which we also wore every day, and had a good laugh!

Palzang
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Datum, remember that at the start of buddhism, EVERYONE wore robes. The Buddha dressed as a beggar, in patched robes. The opposite of being conspicuous.

While the yellow-gold color is referred to as "saffron" or "ochre" can be achieved through dying with expensive saffron or with ochre earth pigments, you can also use cheap, available onion skins to dye cotton that same color ... the poor man's color.

As for shaving the head, I don't know. The concentration camps and boot camps strip individuality by shaving heads. Maybe the tradition it started as a way to eschew individuality?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    The shaved head is a symbol of renunciation actually.

Palzang
  • edited August 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    The reason for the dress is both to indicate detachment from worldly things (hairstyle, fashion, etc.)

So for lay-buddhists to indulge in worldly things and yet manage to see them for what they are, not depend on them and can understand who they are without them - that's quite a noble achievement.

Didn't the Dalai Lama say we could do all this, just realise it is what it is and not get attached to things.

I will get shot down for this, but the world would be a better place if everyone was lay and worked for the good of everyone. All of these dedicated, amazing good practicing buddhists are going to waste when they could be introducing others to the Path.

Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound derrogatory and rude. I admire people who get up at 4 and spend their life in medidative practice. I'm just a bit of an old commy withan all-hands-on-deck ethic.

Anyways, Back to Topic!
  • edited August 2009
    PS - Those who do want to shoot me down for the above post, please remember my intention is Right.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Sara, I think you misunderstand the role of monastics. I, for example, don't get up at 4 am (yikes!) and I don't spend the day in contemplation. I work at an 8-5 job, participate as much as I can in temple activities, including our 24 hour prayer vigil (now in its 25th year), maintain my own practice as best I can, and engage in compassionate activity when and where I can. There are Buddhist contemplatives who spend their lives in retreat, but certainly not all of us.

As for those who do, you have to keep in mind that the only way that we can be of ultimate benefit to others is to gain enlightenment ourselves. Otherwise we're just operating within the confines of samsara to bring temporary relief (at best) to those who suffer. The quickest way to achieve enlightenment, as the Buddha himself taught, is to practice as a monk or nun, completely renouncing samsara. In the West such a lifestyle has never been understood or even tolerated because we have such a materialistic, work until you drop ethos, that the only valid way to live is to be a "productive member of society", whatever that means. So it is very, very difficult to live as a monastic in the West. Unfortunately.

And if you believe that enlightenment either doesn't exist or has no value, then you're right.

Palzang
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Pally - if I may call you that my friend :)
    Palzang wrote: »
    Sara, I think you misunderstand the role of monastics. I, for example, don't get up at 4 am (yikes!) and I don't spend the day in contemplation. I work at an 8-5 job, participate as much as I can in temple activities, including our 24 hour prayer vigil (now in its 25th year), maintain my own practice as best I can, and engage in compassionate activity when and where I can. There are Buddhist contemplatives who spend their lives in retreat, but certainly not all of us.

I have to confess that when I typed this I was extremely stressed-out and anxious about other stuff entirely so excuse me for the rant.

I think the way you live your life is admirable.

I do stick by the belief that not enough monastics live as you do and while one must reach enlightenment to teach enlightenment (as much as you can of course) I think it would be more beneficial for all monks (AND all lay people - don't get me wrong here) to do some charity work.

It should be made compulsory - but I guess that would meddle with intention.

Anyways...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yes, so do I, friend Sara. It is something that my teacher really emphasizes, getting off your cushion and doing something for the benefit of sentient beings, whether it's feeding birds or helping the homeless. Just do something!

The contemplative life has, for the most part, never struck much of a chord with Americans in particular I think. Just goes against our work ethic and deep-rooted materialism which we drink with our mother's milk, so to speak. We can't imagine the usefulness of sitting around doing "nothing". It's a symptom of the time we live in, I guess. I have doubts whether monasticism in any form can long survive in the West. There are many, many obstacles. It would be sad to lose the tradition though. As the Tibetan master who ordained me once said, only when the ordained community comes to a country can it be said that the Dharma has taken root. But the Buddha did also prophesy that in these degenerate times there would come a time when the negativity was so thick that bodhisattvas could no longer be born and the Dharma would fade away. I'd say that's happening already, even though on the surface it would appear that Buddhism is thriving like never before. But the seeds of its own destruction are already there.

Just my opinion.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    That gives me chills, Palzang. You may be right. But I hope not.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited August 2009
    The wisdom that comes from inaction is deep and profound. Though to many it has no utility and is without value.

grackle
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I agree, but most people don't see it that way.

And I also hope it doesn't happen, Boo. My teacher says we have it in our power to overcome predictions like that, but it will be an uphill struggle to say the least. Overcoming our own poisons is the only way to do it.

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited August 2009
    So losing my hair has no special significance? It's going gray/white and thinner. HMM, I wonder that says? The reality is that all of us are significant here at NB.com!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    It's called "old age, sickness and death!" :hair:

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    The meditative (Christian: contemplative) life has always been a puzzle to the mundane, although Europe has had a long tradition of such a life for a minority. Through the Ages of Faith, it was quite common for both men and women, after a life of action and parenting, to retire to a monastery or convent in old age.

It will remain mysterious as a notion so long as we fail to understand our interconnectedness. It is an old belief that the tiny number of those who devote themselves to work and pray contemplatively help to 'make up for' the vast majority who do so little of each.

It is also worth noting that Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh, a monk in the Vietnamese Zen tradition, is one of the fathers of Engaged Buddhism, active in service to others.