Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New here

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Heys guys just abit about myself , im new here and my name is louis and im hoping to learn alot on this site, this site looks really good to be honest .

My whole family believes in buddhist and so as i . But lately ive started to really get into learning the teachings of buddha especially karma which i really like to read .

Anyways i was wondering on where i should start reading or what i could start doing first .

Thanks .

Comments

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I would start out reading a few good books. Some excellent ones are listed in The Recommended Reading Thread in this board. Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions you like, we have some excellent talent on this forum.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    <BIG><BIG>Good, Evil and Beyond </BIG></BIG>

<B><BIG><BIG>Kamma in the Buddha's Teaching</BIG></BIG></B>

<BIG><BIG>P. A. Payutto</BIG></BIG>
  • edited August 2009
    thanks guys for the help
    i am really enjoying reading Good, Evil and Beyond
  • edited August 2009
    Hey everyone, just like XKarmaX here I am new here, and this place does look very honest and welcoming.

A little background on myself, I just graduated high school, and am looking into Buddhism seriously for the first time since i began to be disillusioned ( I don't know if that is the right word, but you get my point) with my previous Christian faith (and generally any real organized religion) that I was raised in, which happened near the beginning of high school.

I went to the local used bookstore and picked up a copy of "The Beginners Guide to Tibetan Buddhism" by Bruce Newman, which is pretty good, although I don't really find myself interested in one specific kind of Buddhism yet. I plan on reading the "the heart of buddha's teaching" by Thich Nhat Hanh because it seems to get good reviews on here!

I have a ton of questions that I'll be looking forward to discussing with everyone!
  • edited August 2009
    Hi XkarmaX and Sparticis - and a warm welcome to you both!

Dazzle _/\_
    edited August 2009
    Sparticis, Also have a look at "Awaken The Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das. Very easy reading.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I might also add "What Makes You Not a Buddhist" by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche and "The Myth of Freedom" by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

Palzang
  • edited August 2009
    Hello everybody,

Like XKarmaX and Sparticis, I am new to this board. I only very recently discovered buddhism, and I love the open-minded, accepting ways of its practitioners. I have been reading through several threads and am very impressed with the kind, mature atmosphere that is so rare to see on the internet.

My name is Matt, and I look forward to future discussions with you all.
    edited August 2009
    Welcome XKarmaX, good to have you onboard.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Glad to have all 3 of you here. Cheers!
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited August 2009
    welcome y'all! Stick around and you'll be Buddhisming in no time!
  • edited August 2009
    Thank you both Lincoln and yuriythebest :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Hi, X, Spart, and Matt! Welcome to the board. It's love to meet you.
    (Ooops. That should be 'lovely to meet you'. :))
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks Brigid! It's a pleasure to meet you :)