Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the major problem..

edited July 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Guys

I want some help on this, because my mind isn't sharp enough to do it myself.

I have studied buddhism for many years, I know what there is to know.

I have had breakthroughs and I have seen enlightenment.

I have a big problem, though. I am addicted to samsara.

It's as simple as a drug addiction , the barrier between me and nirvana.

My understanding is so complete, that it is unforgivable that i continue to indulge in samsara...i understand why buddha said something like " if i was a killer i'd be the most terrible killer"

so this is where i am on the path.....im no stranger to addiction, it grabbed me at a young age, alcohol, drugs, pleasure.....

Then i learned what HE was saying. I figured it out deeply..and for a long time..
but how do we deal with this...

its not fair, we are raised into samsara...everyone i ever knew ..and even now,... tell me basically, "you have to be a player in samsara.."

they are outside of buddhas teachings obviously, but its hard -the entire world telling u to be something thats wrong...

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2009
    TheFound,

You have taken the first step: you have recognised your addiction and that it makes your life unmanageable. Now you may want to consider the method of the Twelve Steps, alongside your regular daily practice. Don't expect miracles - you will then be pleasantly surprised when they happen.

Good luck.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    And guess what, TF - we're all addicted to samsara! Otherwise we wouldn't be here. It is the normal state of sentient beings.

Palzang
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    The classic response to addiction is mudita, or joy. Try the meditation described in these podcasts.
  • edited July 2009
    Basically,

What I'm deciding to do is take more time for zazen, I need to really soak in it. I think that's part of my problem is that I don't reinforce and apply the truths that are revealed to me. I'm really like a dull knife or a rippling pond right now...gotta sharpen up and still the waters..i've got to be serious now :eek:
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    That sounds like a good step. Remember to rest in your zazen.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes just doing what makes you happy and living your life is all a person needs. Look at a child. They are the best teachers.