Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the wrathful and benevolent deities?

yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
can anyone link me to the images of the wrathful and benevolent deities that appear to you after death? And also the one that's supposed to pierce you with the golden spear thingy

also- how do I not confuse them with hell beings and demons?? Are there any characteristics that differ them?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    They are all creations of your own mind and need to be recognized as such, I've heard!

Sorry, don't have any pics. Are you planning to meet these guys in a lucid dream?
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited August 2009
    srivijaya wrote: »
    They are all creations of your own mind and need to be recognized as such, I've heard!

Sorry, don't have any pics. Are you planning to meet these guys in a lucid dream?

ok I've found some images here

Yeah I think it will be good to practice seeing them (their images) in advance in a lucid dream before actually dying- with some luck I'll then gain lucidity during death and be able to recognize them again (lucidity is tricky but not as tricky as portrayed in the Buddhist teachings) ]

Still my original question remains- how do I differentiate between wrathful deities and hell beings? Both look like scary monsters n stuff- from what I've read thus far is that they have very interesting skin- like crystals/clouds/gold/etc so that might be a telltale sign, also that they have all sorts of numbers of heads n arms n stuff- hell beings just look like regular demons right just scary and not "magnificent" in any way perhaps that can help...
  • edited August 2009
    It's a tad off what you're asking but this series of YouTube vids are worth watching as they cover much of what you ask:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThpbErYU7U&feature=related
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yuriy,

If I may offer a little advice, I think it would be more productive to practice how to live rather than fixating on your so-called lucid dreams and beings you may meet in the bardo. All that can easily turn into some sort of ego trip. Just my feeling on it.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I'm afraid I'm inclined to concur with palzang.
    You're in a minority of one, when it comes to giving such prominence to flights of mental fancy, that you're 'falling asleep at the wheel' - or so it seems....

This is why sleep is no time to cultivate wisdom and compassion, and work towards the cessation of suffering....
    hence the Buddha being Awake.... I would also repectfully suggest you focus less on what happens in 'z' time, and apply yourself more to daytime practice.
    edited August 2009
    I'm sorry you guys, but to me both "z" and wakefulness are closely linked. The practices I perform while awake help me both in wakefulness- as in being detached, ridding myself of mental clutter, etc and my dreams sort of indicate how successful I am in that- like a test after time spent studying. In any case, it's impossible to become "addicted" to dreaming since the amount is finite- you can't sleep more than a certain amount and nor do I attempt to do that. It's about efficiency of time usage-the practices I perform help me in both real life and dreams, and show me that in essence they are not that different.

You're in a minority of one, when it comes to giving such prominence to flights of mental fancy, that you're 'falling asleep at the wheel' - or so it seems....
    I do not understand the 'falling asleep at the wheel' analogy. Regarding being in the minority- in this thread and forum that is so, but on the lucid dreaming forums like www.dreamviews.com and in other such communities I am in the vast majority- lucid dreams can give you insights of yourself and allow you to feel emotions you have never experienced and see reality in totally new ways, humbling in a way
    If I may offer a little advice, I think it would be more productive to practice how to live rather than fixating on your so-called lucid dreams and beings you may meet in the bardo. All that can easily turn into some sort of ego trip. Just my feeling on it.
    yeah I think I understand what you are saying- but my goal is to practice both, I don't see how awareness and compassion can be mutually exclusive. Regarding ego-trips- I do not by any means claim to be some great guru or whatever, in fact I don't even practice dream yoga to any large extent, I mainly just practice lucid dreaming, since I find dream yoga is best taught with an actual master and plain text from books just isn't sufficient.
    your so-called lucid dreams
    lucid dreams are defined as any dream in which you know that everything around you isn't real and is in fact a dream, and you in a sense "wake up" in the dream- those are the dreams that I consider lucid dreams.

I am beginning to think your opposition to lucid dreaming is not legitimate, and in fact stems from ignorance and perhaps even jealousy.. if not then please correct me.
  • edited August 2009
    I don't see how awareness and compassion can be mutually exclusive.

Hi Yuri,
    This is correct, also I agree with you on the importance of dream work. Why waste the 'z' time? If it had not been so important to Tibetan practitioners then Naropa would not have included it in his 6 yogas. Nor would master after master have mentioned it.

It's a mirror to our mind. We may have control of our minds during the day but have dreams in which we are less than perfect and what does this reveal about our fate when it comes to the clear light of death?

How much awareness of our state do we have during absorption? A key issue for anyone interested in the dissolution of mind and the role it can play in our release from samsara.

I have gained deep experiences during the dream state that have completely and irrevocably altered my life (and understanding of certain aspects of Buddha Dharma) since. I personally would never belittle what you are doing and wish you all the best with it. As part of an integrated approach, it is very useful, as we spend a third of our life asleep.

Namaste
    Kris
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2009
    24uyd6g.jpg
    edited August 2009
    srivijaya wrote: »
    It's a tad off what you're asking but this series of YouTube vids are worth watching as they cover much of what you ask:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThpbErYU7U&feature=related

cool thank you so much! I'v watched both 40 min segments and it was most edifying!

Dhamma Dhatu - thanks
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    According to Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, if you practice lucid dreaming, you should create some dangerous situation and see if you are frightened and some passionate situation and see if you are attached. If not, that is good. The point of dream yoga is not to control your dreams, but to show there's no essential difference between dreaming and waking life. Really seeing this requires considerable practice in sitting meditation, it's not sufficient to do lucid dreaming alone.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    According to Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, if you practice lucid dreaming, you should create some dangerous situation and see if you are frightened and some passionate situation and see if you are attached. If not, that is good. The point of dream yoga is not to control your dreams, but to show there's no essential difference between dreaming and waking life. Really seeing this requires considerable practice in sitting meditation, it's not sufficient to do lucid dreaming alone.
    Wow, Jinzang! I can't tell you how much your post clarified things for me. I used to lucid dream spontaneously and very clearly when I was younger. After reading your post, I feel like trying it again to practice as you described. I think I'll just start with making myself super aware of the possibility of using my dreams in that way right before I fall asleep and see what happens. I usually sit for 30 to 40 minutes before bed so I'll see if that helps too. Very interesting. Thanks.
  • edited August 2009
    Not Buddhist but ........... dreaming can reveal what your inner-most self is thinking or needing.

It is always useful to make note of what your dreams are telling you - no matter what your meditation is saying ... your body might be telling you different things. It is also useful to note that your dreams might show you a different perspective of something that is happening to you now in the physical world.

Ok - I dream often of going to a castle - this could be the metaphysical castle or it could be a different country or a different set of people.

I dream of living on a boat - you want to travel, or you are restricted in your travelling?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I agree that dreams can be a rich source of information about our subconscious mind and what's really going on inside us. That wasn't really what I was addressing. I was talking about practicing something and making it part of ego's territory, something to brag about (like the running total of your dreams, Yuriy). That is counterproductive to say the least. If you're doing it with the right motivation, then no problem!

Here are the deities you asked for. The picture DD gave you is a (rather poorly drawn) hell realm from the wheel of life. Here are the 42 peaceful and 58 wrathful deities of the bardo.

Palzang
  • edited August 2009
    Nice images Palzang. Places where becoming can take root, reflections of our own mind.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Great thread!

The various viewpoints all have validity, don't they? And they compliment each other, too. Interesting. Good thread.
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Yuri,

Personally I very rarely ever dream at all, and when I do, I don't take any notice of insubstantial dream events.

However, if you are fascinated by these things, you might find this book 'Living Dreaming Dying' by Rob Nairn an interesting read.

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=15547

_/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I don't remember my dreams usually either. When I was going through a lot of emotional turmoil back in the '70s and '80s I did tend to have a lot of vivid dreams that I did remember and they did help me to understand what the heck was going on with me. I guess I'm more stable now! Or more senile... :eek:

Palzang
    edited August 2009
    Palzang - thanks for the additional images!
    Personally I very rarely ever dream at all, and when I do,
    as for having/remembering dreams, it's not luck - there are techniques to improve dream recall
    http://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=66343
    I don't take any notice of insubstantial dream events.
    Perhaps you are confusing dream interpretation and lucid dreaming. I don't examine all the random stuff in my dreams- my aim is to realize that everything around me is a dream while still dreaming and gain consciousness, "wake up" while still in a dream state.
    Yes- lucid dreams are awesome for letting go. To give an example, while lucid one time I flew into a building and my mother was there. I told her that I loved her but that she would some day die, and that I would some day die. This would have been unthinkable in real life but lucid dreaming helps you do stuff ordinarily impossible. The more stuff you experience, the less can actually shock you or frighten you in real life, but probably out of everything experienced in lucid dreaming the moment lucidity is gained is the most prolific, after all, one moment you are heavily involved in some deluded dream activity and the next you realize everything here is an illusion and you can do anything you want!
    he point of dream yoga is not to control your dreams, but to show there's no essential difference between dreaming and waking life.
    yeah, in todays lucid (had one just 20 mins ago), I was walking around calmly in a dream (that took some practice), and examining everything, looking at how incredibly detailed everything is, I ripped off a leaf from a tree and it was so stunningly real. Dreams are different in the sense that nothing exists beyond your field of vision and the laws of physics and logic are easily overcome, but when it comes to visual realism they sometimes can be even more real than real life.

I was talking about practicing something and making it part of ego's territory, something to brag about (like the running total of your dreams, Yuriy). That is counterproductive to say the least. If you're doing it with the right motivation, then no problem!
    The lucid dream amount in my signature is not my invention and is common practice in most lucid dreaming forums. I agree that perhaps it's ego boosting- I plan to stop counting dreams after I surpass 1000