Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Since this is a basic question, but one we can always return to!

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Since one can liken the search for wisdom as a "journey", is there any thing one should be searching for while meditating? Though, everything I've read says "no", the working class mindset that I've carried all of my life says "What is the reason? Why are we doing this? Should I expect results?" I bring this up as I was that kid who had a million questions about the world and life and wanted answers instead of "Because I said so". With meditating, one can say "We are practicing to attain enlightentment" and many other "reasons". Why should we meditate? As a healthcare provider, they are finding medical reasons for it, but then there is more to it seems. Any and all thoughts welcome.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Jerbear wrote: »
    the working class mindset that I've carried all of my life says "What is the reason?

Good question Jer. If you meditate, you will "find" but you need to be aware of what it is you are looking at and it's very simple.
    You won't be finding something you don't have, like acquiring some mystical state from Buddha, rather you will become aware of how you have "become" and what forces drive you and where their release lies (liberation).

It's more a journey of discovery.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I agree, Sri. The method, I'd say, is to let go of all preconceptions, searches, wish to find answers, etc. Only then can you get answers. At least that's been my experience. I used to have tons of questions too. When I was a kid I wished I could just sit down with god and have him explain everything. Strangely I don't have that desire anymore. All those questions have been answered, or at least made redundant.

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Sri and Pally,
    I know the text book answers, but wanting it to be more of an internal understanding. I'm just doing the meditation for today right now. I'm going to be having more time since I'm applying for disability to get some money coming in. Not that I'm going to quit looking for work, but I'm not going to make it some life and death struggle. I have a book I'm reading called "Buddhism: Tools for Living" which tries to use Buddhist teachings as tools one can use for their every day life. Since I tend to be much more hands on, I hope this is helpful. Just trying to take things one day at a time, since I get ahead of myself and end up falling and wondering what happened.
  • edited August 2009
    my stupid opinion, is this...

WE HAVE to meditate. We have to empty our cups, we have to still the waters.....

imagine that at birth u had a sound in ur ear....eventually you wouldn't hear it because it's always on....... under that sound are the real sounds u should (or want to) be listening to...but you have no idea any sound exists... hmmm, HMMM? you see where im going with it...?

-unless ur somekinda super genius INSTA-buddha-
  • edited August 2009
    Jerbear wrote: »
    I know the text book answers

Hi Jer,
    In my experience they didn't help. You do right to try to apply it to what you are actually experiencing, rather than what some book tells you that you should be experiencing.
    TheFound's right. It's about tuning in to what's actually there, not some imagined floating paradise.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    We suffer because of our afflictive emotions. We experience our afflictive emotions because we do not control our minds. And we do not control our minds because we do not understand them. With meditation, thoughts slow so that we can see them. With seeing, understanding will dawn. Looking for a conceptual answer and hoping for a result is only piling thoughts on top of thoughts until they become a jumbled mess. Meditation needs to be quieter and more passive than that. The answer is there, but it is not found through seeking it. It's a paradox, but that how it works.
  • edited August 2009
    Rather like one of those 3D puzzle pictures where you have to stop looking at it to see the picture?

Hmm - that makes perfect sense to me ......... but then I was rubbish at those pictures anyway!
  • edited August 2009
    I know that for me the reason for meditating is in the results. I feel so much more at peace with everything and I am much more calm when stressful things happen. I meditate just once and feel the results within me. That's whats so amazing about it! xxx
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited August 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    We suffer because of our afflictive emotions. We experience our afflictive emotions because we do not control our minds. And we do not control our minds because we do not understand them. With meditation, thoughts slow so that we can see them. With seeing, understanding will dawn. Looking for a conceptual answer and hoping for a result is only piling thoughts on top of thoughts until they become a jumbled mess. Meditation needs to be quieter and more passive than that. The answer is there, but it is not found through seeking it. It's a paradox, but that how it works.

As they say in 12 step groups, if you want a cake like your friend made, you must follow the directions. If you follow your own, and cut corners and leave things out, you may get a cake but it might taste really bad. As one who is good with abstract thinking, I know it is more of a mental playground exercise and acheives nothing. The way I learned to meditate was by counting each breath to start from 1-10 with the inhalation, then the exhalation and then letting the counting go always gently guiding oneself back to the breathing when necessary. I am seriously trying to leave out what any book says and following my own experience and talking to others and find out what has worked for them. My mind goes way to fast for many people to keep up in normal conversation. My domestic partner will say "I'm not with you there, what are you talking about?" Monkey mind way too much here. So thanks for the reminder that one's thinking can pile up like a garbage dump no matter what the original content meant.