Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New buddhists in the suburbs.....

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I wanted to raise the topic of "How do YOU manage finding buddhism and living in the urban jungle?"

if anyone has tips or practices to share with the rest of us on how they find enlightenment in todays sprawling lifestyle... do share :)

Also my first topic post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Welcome, Gearhead.

Firts post and a new topic - such chutzpah!

I think we have no trouble finding the Dharma in the city or the Buddha in suburbia. After all, the First Noble Truth is writ large everywhere in the built environment.

As for "finding enlightenment", on that I can cast no light (LOL) except to say that I have found the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path engaging enough without worrying about it.
  • edited August 2009
    gearhead wrote: »
    I wanted to raise the topic of "How do YOU manage finding buddhism and living in the urban jungle?"

if anyone has tips or practices to share with the rest of us on how they find enlightenment in todays sprawling lifestyle... do share :)

Also my first topic post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Gearhead and welcome!

I've lived in a capital city for most of my life and its probably a lot easier finding Buddhism and fellow buddhists offline in a big city than it is in a rural environment.
    Practising the teachings of Lord Buddha is all about dealing with our own minds - and so we can apply the teachings to ourselves whatever the exterior environment happens to be.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    My advice is to first dispell the notion that if it's not easy or convenient it's not worth doing or seeking out. I realize you didn't say that, but it's often the case that we Westerners expect everything to be at our fingertips, and if it's not, then we think it's not worth the effort. If it can get you out of samsara, how much effort wouldn't be worth it?

Anyway, enough ranting. The "urban jungle" can be an excellent place to practice. My first experience with the Dharma was with a little Zen group run by a kindly Japanese Buddhist priest (Gyomay Kubose) on the north side of Chicago. His place wasn't fancy or anything, and we could clearly hear the buses and sirens of city traffic while we sat. After a while it became like music, something that just was, and it wasn't a distraction or an annoyance. The same was true later at the Chicago Dharmadhatu, which at that time was located above a Mexican bar on North State Street. We would be upstairs meditating on red/yellow cushions on a beautiful sky blue carpet while below us loud salsa music shook the entire building. Again, after a time it became part of the whole and wasn't a distraction or an annoyance. I actually began to rather appreciate it as it was a constant teaching. As it says in the books, "All sounds are the mantra's sound". The same goes for all the other seeming difficulties of living in the city, or suburbia, which can be worse. It's all part of the practice, and when you can actually see that, it's quite amazing.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Find a book by Arthur Jeon, Titled 'City Dharma'.

Read all about it!

welcome to the forum!
  • edited August 2009
    Welcome, Gearhead.

Firts post and a new topic - such chutzpah!

thanks for your reply, but i must ask about your choice of words.
    the deffinition gave a negative conotation and i just wanted to know where your coming from brother
  • edited August 2009
    Although I'm very new to Buddhism, I've started trying to make a habit of watching the traffic to remind me of how things are always changing; sitting and watching people go by--young, middle-aged, old--helps to keep things in perspective by reminding me that we really have no control over that constant state of change. Maybe its because I'm new to this, but I'm always amazed to see how the Buddha's truths are still true, even in today's ultra-modern cities.
  • edited August 2009
    i like your idea friend. and you philosophy. thanks :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    the deffinition gave a negative conotation and i just wanted to know where your coming from brother

SithePi's been here longer than most.
    I've never seen him make a negative post.

(That rhymes, but it wasn't intentional.)

He's coming from a place of warmth, heartfelt welcome and generosity.

trust me.
    If he uses words, it's with affection.
    Relax. ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Hi, Gearhead and welcome to the board!

Just wanted to say that I've never known the word 'chutzpah' to have a negative connotation. I hung around a lot of Jews growing up and whenever I heard the word used by my friends' parents or grandparents it was always used in a joyful way. "You've got a lot of guts!" I mostly heard it when it was being used to refer to someone who had a lot of courage or took initiative.

Anyway, aside from my take on the word itself you can rest assured that what Fede said about Simon is right on. Warm, gentle, respectful, joyful, humorous, and so on. That's Simon. You'll see. :)

So again, welcome! It's lovely to meet you.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Gearhead, dear new friend,

My dear friends Fede and Boo are quite right that I meant no negative, only admiration that you come straight in with a valid (and valuable) question.

Contextualising what was expressed in a dead language 2500 years ago to a modern urban setting is a real challenge and particularly where the culture appears to value only material success and possession.We are rarely going to be popular when we point out that mundane values have no 'self' and are transitory at best. Applying it to our own lives can be a hard task but, ultimately, worthwhile.

I am sorry if my use of a word upset your calm mind. Please accept my apology.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I've always associated the word "chutzpah" with the Spanish word "cojones" (or is it "cajones"? I can never remember). It just means you're not shy and speak right up, which I think is a great quality to have. I'm also glad you brought up the issue because it is an important one, how to fit 2500 year old teachings into "modern" life. Not always so obvious, but as Urizen says, it is amazing to see just how well the Dharma does still fit. Perfectly, in fact.

Palzang
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to follow up :)

just to be clear i was never accusing or calling anyone out. I was ignorant to the words meanng and when i looked for the deffinition (poorly provided to me i'v come to find out) it was one that seemed to me negative...

but no need to dwell!!! Im thrilled to get all these great minds on my first post to share their wisdom. As of late I am trying to take a "comfort in the chaos" approach wandering through the city, using the hustle and bustle to put myself in a mental bubble. This will really come into play in school hours. (4000 kids :p)

Please continue to post and i'll do the same :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Wow, you have 4000 kids? You've been busy! ;)

Anyway, that should give you plenty of material with which to practice patience if nothing else. As Trungpa Rinpoche said, the more shit you have to put in your garden, the better it will grow!

Palzang