Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Advice On Bullies/Cruel People

edited September 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone :),

I am new to this site but have felt affiliated with the Buddhist path for many years now.

I suppose I would like advice on how to deal with a soul who is a member of my family but continually verbally attacks me in public on a social networking site. If I were to delete this person from my contacts it would cause grave trouble within the family yet I am feeling inner anger towards this person and would love to delete her!

She has today been especially defamatory and has accused me of being a liar about something (which I am certainly not) She is not the sort of person one can reason with either - confronting her is not an option really.

What would be the Buddhist view of dealing with this? How can I regain my inner peace and not be affected by this person's hostility towards me? Granted I find I am learning how to have faith in myself and stand up for myself but when even the rest of my family attack me for standing up to her, saying I should know she is trying to provoke me, how must I proceed? I am alone with very little support.

Thank you xxxx

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Well I can relate...

I'm no stranger to bullies and problems with siblings (I'm assuming ;) at home. In my experience, bullies thrive on attention, and a reaction. Give them no attention or reaction, and they have nothing to "feed on" so to speak. They elevate themselves by exerting there dominance or by putting you down. So just ignore them, or tell them straight out (once) that your done with there behavior, and leave it at that.

But I have to add... be careful who your calling a bully!!! Because according to my former overly protective catholic middle school, I'm a bully! So I'm just saying be aware of the situation because it might be you that is being overly sensative. (I dont think thats your case but i think the topic must be raised)

As for the problems at home, its hard to make peace by creating separation. So if you truly want to resolve things, try to offer a "truce" and move on. If all elce fails, remove yourself from the situation and let them be a channel of negativity on there own.

Hope I helped a little :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2009
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Sophia79 wrote: »
    If I were to delete this person from my contacts it would cause grave trouble within the family yet I am feeling inner anger towards this person and would love to delete her!
    I find it slightly amusing (forgive me) that choosing not to associate on a particular website would cause grave troubles in a family. That in itself suggests that there is a lot of drama that needs defusing.

Responding well is your best (only?) way of dealing with situations like this. I can't tell you what that response is, but I can tell you that meditation is a great way of calming and focusing your mind which is a key component to responding well in all situations.

You must have the inner strength to not be hurt by their verbal or emotional attacks. Defusing an attack without inflicting hurt back upon the attacker is the acme of responding well.

Easy, right? ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Hi all!
    Thanks for your helpful replies! Thanks for the link fivebells!

I've responded to her attacks everytime without being hurtful back. I've also tried to ignore her this week gearhead but she is becoming more venomous.
    But you know, this cousin (and her mother who helps her fight her battles & has physically threatened me before now) are frankly psychotic Lincoln. They are not reasonable people - something as stupid as being deleted on a social website truly would set them off even though they are to blame for it! Over the years her mother has caused problems in the family at the drop of a hat and it seems her daughter is following suit now.

The only thing I can do really as far as I can see is refuse to respond to her, continue to gather my most supportive friends around me and meditate for inner peace & strength. xxxxxx
    edited August 2009
    Yes, it sounds like cutting them off from you may be your best or only option at that point then, even if it doesn't involve anything so overt as "unfriending" them. The quality of your life is very dependent on who you choose to surround yourself with. :)
  • edited August 2009
    Well it's good to hear your taking some kind of approach to resolving or removing yourself from this hairy situation. It's unfortunate family can't get along with eachother. I actully JUST got done fighting with my brother over something so trivial, but it pushed buttons the wrong way.

And now that i'v cooled down, I see that silence is the biggest comeback to brash actions. Just let them peeter out and then cut them out of your day. Do nothing nice for them, (or do if you can be that good a person... I can't at the moment) and they will get there's. And I think the site, including myself would be happy to continue to help you :)

Trust in the teachings of Buddha and meditation!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Sophia79 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :),
    If I were to delete this person from my contacts it would cause grave trouble within the family yet I am feeling inner anger towards this person and would love to delete her!

I think you may be making more of the grave trouble than it really would be. If I make be so bold, what form would this grave trouble take? And if it were so grave, would it not look ridiculous in the face of the action it is responding to?

And if it really isn't in all honesty, all that grave, then could you live with that outcome? These are some straightforward questions that need to be asked, because the answers might set you free from your torment.

Because at the end of the day if you can't even delete someone from your electronic social network... you do indeed have a problem.
    edited August 2009
    Good points, Les.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Hi, Sophia, and welcome to the site. It's lovely to meet you.

You've already received some great advice so I'll only add a small suggestion.

The situation you've described clearly leaves you with very few options. In my humble opinion the only thing you can do is ignore the bully as best you can while reminding yourself that her poison is hers and you have an obligation to yourself not to let her poison you too.

I don't know which social networking site you're on so I'll use the example of Facebook. On Facebook there are options to turn off the comments and notifications like status updates etc. of any 'friend' without having to actually delete them from you Friends list. Only you will know you can no longer see her contributions.

I hope you can get some peace soon.
  • edited August 2009
    Well. thank you to everybody it has been a very eventful and changeable day that's for sure!!
    After I posted on here last time, one of my friends stepped into defend me online and there ensued a debate where my cousin was being incredibly stubborn and nasty and not prepared to listen to anyone elses point of view but her own. Another cousin of ours also put in that she wasn't impressed with her behaviour.
    I just checked my contacts list now and guess what - my offending relation has removed herself, along with the other cousin who criticised her haha!!
    So it seems I have peace at last, far more quickly than I imagined!! :D
    Love and light to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> While I’m glad you believe you have found peace. I feel the need to point out that one should focus on ones own faults and not another. And that delighting in someone else’s suffering is considered an unskillful act and will only serve to bring you bad kamma. Just something to think about I suppose. Best of wishes to you.
  • edited August 2009
    Believe me Kenny I am not delighting in anybodys suffering at all. If you only knew just how wicked this person is and had been on the receiving end of her behaviour for so long and then to have her go away, just like that - it's amazing lol!
    I am delighting in the fact that this situation will teach her something about herself, that whatever suffering she experiences will somehow make her think twice before inflicting it on another next time because she was completely out of order.
    We can't really avoid focusing on the faults of another if they are directly affecting us unprovoked. I only see the faults in another & have to deal with them if they are used against me, otherwise I see every being as a potential friend, I bear no malice towards anybody. I still don't bear any malice towards her - I would forgive her immediately if she wished to return.
    Thank you for mentioning the concept though, it is certainly something to practice in our everyday interactions, but I don't feel we can avoid focusing when another forces their fault(s) upon us in attack. xxxx
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    Everyone has faults, this is clear but, we never gain any ground on our spiritual path by focusing on these faults of others. Let’s use an example. Let’s take my wife’s mother. We live with her parents because her mother is disabled and needs someone to help take care of her, yet despite everything that is done for her the shopping, the bills, the cleaning and bandaging of her legs, taking her to the doctors and etc she still seems fit to criticize and tear down Debbie (my wife, her daughter) about everything. She tells her that we are horrible parents, tells Debbie I am always out cheating on her, always telling us what and how to do things with our daughter and etc. there is tons more but, this is not about her faults this is only to prove an example of a similar if not more severe situation. I used to hold very strong and hateful feelings towards her and it even led to some nasty arguments. However, once I started to follow the path and realize where to source of our suffering truly comes from I realized that my anger comes from me, not her or her actions. Her words are just sounds that I chose to place meaning in nothing more. by looking at my own faults and not hers I was able to determine where my anger was coming from, from my false sense of self, from my ego. Once I came to this conclusion I decided to work on letting go. Through my practice I began to see the truth of suffering and then realized how much suffering Debbie’s mother is truly making for herself and now I feel much compassion towards her. Ever since I have not held any ill will towards her and have treated her kindly no matter what, and as a result over many months she seems to have calmed down quite a bit and is more at ease.
    <o></o>
    Sorry for the lengthy reply but, it seemed needed to express my intended message from my previous post. Absolutely nothing can be gained other than suffering by focusing on others faults. You need to be truthful with yourself and ask why feel you can’t help it. Could it be a sense of pride, ego, self? I do not know, this is only a question you can answer but, I do know it’s and answer you should seek none the less. Thank you for your time, and good luck on your journey.
  • edited August 2009
    I have a mother who is by all accounts a bully... when ever anything goes wrong in her life she takes it out on me. Im very differant - both in looks and lifestyle from the rest of my family and so i make for a very easy target... not only that but im forced - due to financial reasons - to live with her for the time being...

I always try to remember that people who lash out in any way - verbal or physical are in pain... as hard as it may be - i try to feel compassion for them and their suffering... and to remember how i feel when i am suffering...

I also try to remember my own endless faults... and daily look to Buddha and his teachings as a reminder of my true goal in this life and the many others that will come after it...

I see Karma in action constantly with my mother... she is always sick, or suffering physically and mentally in some way.. with a cupboard full of pills to take daily and almost constant physical pain...

It requires constant checking on my part not to look at my mothers suffering and feel smug... to say '' see thats karma for the way youve treated me''... but doing that would make me no better than her...

the best advice i can give with bullies who seek you out for attack no matter what is this

1 ) do NOTHING...unless you fear physically for your life.. do nothing... i read that once '' the attacker must vanquish - the defender merely survive'' - it means that it requires far more energy on the part of the person who attacks you - then it does from you who only has to survive the attack...

my mother can scream and shout and rant for hours... i used to shout back - enraged at the lies she was saying... now i realise that if i do nothing... if i dont look at her, talk to her or engage with her in any way eventually shell run out of steam and stop... no one can fight for ever... all need to rest.

and the next morning - it is my mother who is tired, and short of voice ... i may also feel bad for the things she has said to me - but at least i havent been drained or consumed by anger...and the conflict was diffused...

2 ) As people here have already wisely said... concentrate on your own practice and inner developement so that you can benefit all living beings... I read also that '' a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust to all ''...

find your own peace, meditate daily , chant , read, whatever helps...

try to dispel your sense of ego... remember also that it is YOU who allows others to cause you pain... words and bullying only hurt because you are attached to yourself, to your body, because you have a sense of ego or pride that certain things should not be said to you...

so what if this person calls you a liar ? think - what is the worst that can happen... perhaps you may loose some friends... and then you will know that those people were not true friends in the first place...

perhaps you may loose some standing in your community, or circle of friends... perhaps people will call you bad names... but these are really all just small things...

im not saying its ok to abuse people - but if you humble yourself, bend low and allow such words or actions to wash over you instead of trying to face them head on - their ability to hurt you will be less....

does that make sense... ???

im probably rambling - but this in my experience is the best tactic... try also to learn a lesson from everything... turn a bad thing into a good thing... use it to better yourself- pray that the people attacking you will feel the effects of karma so that they can become better people in the future... its not easy but it will be worth it in the end...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Kenny...
    Some of us have got it, some of us are getting it, some of us will get it, and some of us will get nothing at all.

Different stages on the learning curve, I guess...

And that's OK, isn't it? ;)
    edited August 2009
    Wise words, as usual Fede... :)
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Kenny...
    Some of us have got it, some of us are getting it, some of us will get it, and some of us will get nothing at all.

Different stages on the learning curve, I guess...

And that's OK, isn't it? ;)
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Of course,<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <u5:WordDocument> <u5:View>Normal</u5:View> <u5:Zoom>0</u5:Zoom> <u5:PunctuationKerning/> <u5:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <u5:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</u5:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <u5:IgnoreMixedContent>false</u5:IgnoreMixedContent> <u5:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</u5:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <u5:Compatibility> <u5:BreakWrappedTables/> <u5:SnapToGridInCell/> <u5:WrapTextWithPunct/> <u5:UseAsianBreakRules/> <u5:DontGrowAutofit/> </u5:Compatibility> <u5:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</u5:BrowserLevel> </u5:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <u6:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </u6:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--> I never said otherwise as far as I am aware but, one would debate that it would be wise to promote proper understanding as long as the recipient is willing to listen such as Sophia has shown she is. Examples and suggestions harm none. So why the question as if you might disapprove with the . . .? Just trying to help in any way i may, that's all.<o></o>
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    No, just commenting,
    Not disapproving.....

....But one never knows how 'new buddhist' a newbuddhist' member is, so it's as well to give the benefit of the doubt.
    I appreciate your lesson, and it's a valid one.....truly it is....but I know it took me a l-o-o-o-o-ng time to 'get it' and in the meantime, I benefitted from a lot of encouragement, which I think is more important and supportive than something that might, by some, be interpreted as 'censure'....

All comments are valuable and instructive, without exception, no matter what they say.
    It's all a help along the Path.
    ;)
  • edited August 2009
    You could try praying for them.
    edited August 2009
    Karma.... you talk too much.

:p

:lol:
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    No, just commenting,
    Not disapproving.....

....But one never knows how 'new buddhist' a newbuddhist' member is, so it's as well to give the benefit of the doubt.
    I appreciate your lesson, and it's a valid one.....truly it is....but I know it took me a l-o-o-o-o-ng time to 'get it' and in the meantime, I benefitted from a lot of encouragement, which I think is more important and supportive than something that might, by some, be interpreted as 'censure'....

All comments are valuable and instructive, without exception, no matter what they say.
    It's all a help along the Path.
    ;)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> My apologies, I completely took what you said out of context it seems. You make an extremely valid point, thank you.
  • edited August 2009
    Karma.... you talk too much.

:p

:lol:

Thank you for almost making me pee laughing.

What can I say - I had a long vacation from Buddha. Now I'm back.
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I like the analogy of anger being a ball that's constantly thrown back and forth in the form of arguments and shouting. If you stop throwing the ball back others won't be able to play with you.

Thank you for almost making me pee laughing.

What can I say - I had a long vacation from Buddha. Now I'm back.

too long- did not read
  • edited August 2009
    what's stopping you from hiring a hitman to murder this person..?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Dear Sophia,

I think you and I have something in common in that we've been targets for family members to bully and harass as well as to be lied about.

In my case it was my sister (I'll call her Sally) who died in Oct. 2007 but her actions are still having repercussions in my life. She was a very sick person, an alcoholic, who lied for years about me to anyone who would listen and was sometimes very convincing. She would tell people that I was doing any number of horrible things when in fact it was she herself who was doing those things. It was a bizarre game for her but it created an enormous amount of suffering for me for years. To this day my oldest sister, (I'll call her Julia) with whom I'm becoming close for the first time in my life, and I are having to unwind all sorts of vicious lies Sally told her about me which is painful because it means Julia, with whom I didn't have much contact over the years, believed the lies and thought of me in those horrible ways.

Sally told these lies to high school teachers of mine, neighbours, people in my own circle of friends, my parents and the rest of my family, her husband and sons (my nephews with whom I used to be very close and did most of the babysitting for), employers, co-workers. You name it. It was like a campaign. I still never know what anyone who knew her actually thinks of me. I never know if my false reputation precedes me.

One of the most difficult aspects of this whole thing was the willingness of some people to believe these things of me. I'm only learning lately that I must have been disliked quite a lot by some people but I never knew it.

Julia and I were talking about this just the other day and I learned of more lies Sally told that I never knew about. Julia also thinks there was someone in my circle of friends, people I've known and loved since I was 12, that betrayed me to Sally, someone who resented me and gave Sally information that she could twist around to use against me.

The thing that struck me the most however, was that during this conversation a few days ago with Julia I didn't freak out upon hearing these new lies. They didn't feel like punches to the gut. In fact, they didn't even sting. Some of them even struck me as funny. Pre-Buddhism this would not have been my reaction. A few years ago I would have had a major meltdown because my ego was so unhealthy, fragile and imbalanced.

While Julia was telling me these things I remembered a line from that email that was making the rounds a while back. It was good advice from an old woman and one of things she is supposed to have said is that what other people think of her is none of her business. So I just kept shrugging my shoulders and telling myself, "Oh well. I don't have any control over what people want to believe about me and besides, it's none of my business!" :D

And it really isn't. It's their business. My business is really only concerned with what I think and do. Then I remembered that great line in the St. Francis of Assisi poem (not written by him but inspired by him) in which he prays not to seek to be loved so much as to love. That line has always helped me.

I know what kind of person I am and even if that picture isn't always pretty I'm okay with that because I'm working on it. There may be repercussions from Sally's lies but only once in a while, not on a daily basis, and they don't hurt me like they once did. I can handle them.

But just because I'm making some headway doesn't mean I have the whole thing out my system. Developing a balanced and healthy ego is still a very early work in progress for me.

Which isn't even to mention how much work I still have to do forgiving Sally and finding a way to understand, respect, love and empathize with her especially since she's no longer here. I can certainly thank her for being the teacher or catalyst for a lot of learning and practice for me and I do feel such deep sorrow for her at times for the way she lived and the way she chose to die. She must have hated herself a great deal and she must have suffered in ways I can't even imagine. Thinking of the pain she must have carried with her through her terribly short life makes mine feel pretty insignificant.

So I just wanted you to know that you're not totally alone and that I do understand some of what you must be feeling. It's a difficult, painful position to be in but don't despair. There are ways through it and I know you'll find them.
  • edited August 2009
    too long- did not read
    Is everyone on this board Yogi Berra?

:)
    edited August 2009
    Brigid,

What an amazing story of growth and compassion. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Les
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited August 2009
    thanks Brigid ! hopefully someday you'll succeed!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited August 2009
    One of the strangest things I've found in practicing metta meditation is that, when you have that quality of kindness towards yourself, you become much more capable of dealing with offensive behavior from others. Much of our suffering is a sort of subconscious inner aggression. From the Dhammapada:
    He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred. He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.
    Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.
    There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.
    Try a week of metta meditation focusing on yourself. For a period of maybe thirty minutes each day, in addition to or as an alternative to your existing meditation practice, try using the following as "mantras" to rest you mind on:

- May I have unconditional friendship* towards myself.
    - May I be free from anger. May I be free from resentment. May I be free from hatred.**
    - May I be a truly loving being.
    - May I learn to think, speak and act in a way that leads to fundamental well-being.
    - May I be healthy and strong.
    - May I be safe from external danger. May I be safe from internal danger.***
    - May I be unafraid to be who I am.
    - May I trust myself to act constructively.

* "Unconditional friendship" is the translation of metta Pema Chodron uses, as well as Rupert Gethin. I've found it a very good way of expressing what metta really is. Alternatively, you might use "unconditional kindness." The "unconditional" is important, however. It teaches you that, no matter how difficult your circumstances, lovingkindness towards yourself is always a possibility.
    ** This is actually an adaptation of the classical aspiration for compassion ("May I be free from suffering and the cause of suffering.") In Buddhism, anger, resentment and hatred are considered suffering because they rage against what reality presents to us.
    *** "Internal danger" refers to destructive mind states that distract us from the peace that s available to us in every moment.

I have dealt with some very hurtful people, but after cultivating self-metta, I find their behavior doesn't really offend me anymore. Notice what happens internally when you're angry about what someone has done to you. Usually there is a subtle undercurrent of self-aggression: i.e., getting angry at your anger, or fearful of your fear. Once you've established some quality of friendship towards yourself, it's much easier to notice that, let go of the anger, and do what needs to be done. In most cases, simply removing yourself the presence of this person is enough. In other cases, you may need to assert yourself in a more direct way (look online for tips on assertiveness training).
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Glow wrote: »
    One of the strangest things I've found in practicing metta meditation is that, when you have that quality of kindness towards yourself, you become much more capable of dealing with offensive behavior from others. Much of our suffering is a sort of subconscious inner aggression. From the Dhammapada:

Try a week of metta meditation focusing on yourself. For a period of maybe thirty minutes each day, in addition to or as an alternative to your existing meditation practice, try using the following as "mantras" to rest you mind on:

- May I have unconditional friendship* towards myself.
    - May I be free from anger. May I be free from resentment. May I be free from hatred.**
    - May I be a truly loving being.
    - May I learn to think, speak and act in a way that leads to fundamental well-being.
    - May I be healthy and strong.
    - May I be safe from external danger. May I be safe from internal danger.***
    - May I be unafraid to be who I am.
    - May I trust myself to act constructively.

* "Unconditional friendship" is the translation of metta Pema Chodron uses, as well as Rupert Gethin. I've found it a very good way of expressing what metta really is. Alternatively, you might use "unconditional kindness." The "unconditional" is important, however. It teaches you that, no matter how difficult your circumstances, lovingkindness towards yourself is always a possibility.
    ** This is actually an adaptation of the classical aspiration for compassion ("May I be free from suffering and the cause of suffering.") In Buddhism, anger, resentment and hatred are considered suffering because they rage against what reality presents to us.
    *** "Internal danger" refers to destructive mind states that distract us from the peace that s available to us in every moment.

I have dealt with some very hurtful people, but after cultivating self-metta, I find their behavior doesn't really offend me anymore. Notice what happens internally when you're angry about what someone has done to you. Usually there is a subtle undercurrent of self-aggression: i.e., getting angry at your anger, or fearful of your fear. Once you've established some quality of friendship towards yourself, it's much easier to notice that, let go of the anger, and do what needs to be done. In most cases, simply removing yourself the presence of this person is enough. In other cases, you may need to assert yourself in a more direct way (look online for tips on assertiveness training).
    Great post, Glow. You hit the nail right on the head, at least for me. Part of the suffering for me was a deep anger and frustration with myself for not standing up to my sister and not teaching her and other people how to treat me properly, i.e. allowing it to happen. And after my sister died there was deep guilt for feeling so much anger towards her, etc. etc. The less loving I am to myself the less love I have to give.

Even though this is Sophia's thread and your advice was meant for her, I don't think she'll mind if I use it too. Thanks again.
  • edited August 2009
    Glow - I also think you put that really well.... I also find it relevant to remember the bit from the Dhammapada where it says to overcome anger with kindness...

Its really all about breaking the cycle - i think thats the overall message... if you retaliate in anger against lies or angry words and actions - you only continue the cycle...

If you return that anger and hurt with kindness - hard as it may be - you break the cycle ....

As i think i said before ... remember also that '' the agressor must vanquish- the defender merely survive '' = eventually the one doing the attacking will burn themselves out - because it takes so much more energy to attack than defend - does that make sense....

be quite and humble and peacefull as much as you can and the situation will resolve itself ....
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for your kind comments Brigid and Channah108. :) I'm really glad you got something out of that post.

Brigid, I had a very similar experience to you and your sister with my father. At the time I didn't love myself enough to have the strength of character to love him. I was subconsciously convinced that I was somehow flawed, which perpetuated the hurt and negative karma.

Channah, I love that quote ('' the agressor must vanquish- the defender merely survive ''); I've definitely learned to choose my battles wisely, and to fight them wisely. Another quote I like is by Aristotle: "Any diot can get angry. That is easy. But to get angry at the right person, in the right amount, at the right time, for the right reason... that is not easy."

Another way to think of such situations is when we're angry/jealous/resentful/etc. we are in "selfing" mode; our experience of ourselves contracts into a very limited definition. We become protective of ourselves - a self that does not need our protection - trying to defend a certain concept of ourselves in our own mind. Metta subverts this tendency for me; by essentially saying "Whoever or whatever you are in there, I love you just as you are", I can relax. There's no need to defend a self-concept anymore.
  • edited September 2009
    I would simply like to add that you don't have to subject yourself to harsh treatment. You don't have to stand there and take it. Don't punish yourself - walk away.