Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Illness - what's the point?

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Mum was recently diagnosed as having MS.

I attributed any damage to her nervous system to her drink habit. Some people have gone up in the air about this so if you don't like what I said then, I understand it wasn't charitable but I was hurting and I have this belief that everything happens for a reason. My logic was, well alcoholics shake when they haven't had a drink so if mum's nerves are up the swanny that must be a similar thing - drink messing them up.

But then, by that logic, why are people dying of cancers, in wars, by stepping off the kerb a second too early, freak weather, etc.? Taken to their conclusion my logic would be that cause and effect are always directly related...

I have certain ideas that I live my life by - that we can always choose our lot, we can all better ourselves if we try hard enough and we can all be great if we believe in ourselves. That we can make anything happen.

My sister on the other hand believes that, quite simply, s**t happens and you've just gotta make do.

To me that's like tossing a coin.

What do you think?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Dear Sara...

I believe this;
    Things don't happen for a reason.
    They happen for reasons.

I feel for your mom, I too suffer. I also drink and smoke way too much.

I'm drinking right now actually..

Anyway , I doubt it's your moms fault for developing this disease or illness.
    MS sounds to me like a genetic thing, The drinking maybe helped it develop, by lowering immune systems maybe, but she was probably predisposed to get it, I'm not a doctor right now. So I am unsure.

What I want you to remember, is life IS like flipping a coin. You don't know the outcome because you aren't intelligent enough (i mean everyone in general not just you!)
    But a coin flipping in the air, follows certain physics...an intelligence great enough can determine how its going to land given the factors involved. OR NOT!!!? =

There is a bird flying above you in the sky. If you know the math related to his flight, and you know how his mind works, can you predict where he is going to go...

NO! because another bigger bird, swoops down and eats him..

>>>>

I believe there are just too many factors involved, the question I guess comes down to this,

If there are a countable amount of factors involved we can determine.
    If there are an infinite amount of factors involved, then we can't.

so...free will might be an illusion of infinity.?

i'm gonna meditate on that
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2009
    TheFound... you don't follow a Zen tradition by any chance?? :confused:
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Sara,

I agree with TheFound, your Mum's condition can't be solely laid at the feet of alcohol. Doubtless it exacerbated her condition. May have brought it to the surface, but there were maybe not so obvious other factors at play.

The Karmic Law of Cause and Effect is not a one to one relationship. I heard it explained once much like silt and one cell organisms that sink to the ocean floor that eventually become rock. As you pass through this and every life you make those karmic deposits, and what they turn into depends on what you deposit... and it doesn't happen overnight, or in any given lifetime.

So who's to say, that you mum's drinking in this lifetime was to blame, it may be do to serious bad karma many lifetimes ago. I don't mean to be cruel, because I don't know your mum, but for all you know, this may just be the latest in a series of negative downturns in your mum's mindstream, maybe it's been going on for a while, and she hasn't yet seen the path to change that. Maybe in the next life she will find the way.
    You have found it in this lifetime, but who knows how many truly miserable lifetimes you just went through?

As for your sister... while it's true that shit happens... instead of just making do, your sister needs to change her shit.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Sara

Some things are attributable to karma (such as drinking). Others are merely attributable to the impermanence and unsatisfactoriness of conditioned phenomena (such as the body inevitably getting sick & decaying).

The body, the Buddha called 'rupa'. The word 'rupa' means 'that which will be broken; that which will be afflicted'.
    "And why do you call it 'form' (rupa)? Because it is afflicted, thus it is called 'form.' Afflicted with what? With cold & heat & hunger & thirst, with the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun & reptiles. Because it is afflicted, it is called form.

Khajjaniya Sutta
    ...the householder Nakulapita went to the Blessed One and on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One, "Lord, I am a feeble old man, aged, advanced in years, having come to the last stage of life. I am afflicted in body & ailing with every moment. And it is only rarely that I get to see the Blessed One & the monks who nourish the heart. May the Blessed One teach me, may the Blessed One instruct me, for my long-term benefit & happiness."

"So it is, householder. So it is. The body is afflicted, weak, & encumbered. For who, looking after this body, would claim even a moment of true health, except through sheer foolishness? So you should train yourself: 'Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.' That is how you should train yourself."

Nakulapita Sutta
    I myself know little about M.S. However, I do recall one of Australia's greatest athletes, namely, Betty Cuthbert, is afflicted by it.

Kind regards

DDhatu
    JANE CUNNINGHAM: The Melbourne Olympics, 1956. An 18-year-old sprinter by the name of Betty Cuthbert becomes the sweetheart of the nation as she runs her way to three gold medals and a place in history.

COMMENTATOR ON ARCHIVAL FOOTAGE: But Betty Cuthbert's going to the tape! And Betty Cuthbert's going to win! Betty Cuthbert first! Betty Cuthbert first in...

BETTY CUTHBERT: I know when I was eight...eight, nine and ten, eleven, twelve, in State championships, I did very well. And I just knew I had to do it. I knew it was a God-given gift, even at that age. The winning of the 400m in Tokyo [in 1964], it was the first time the 400m have ever been included in the games. And, uh...I had won the 100, 200 and was in the relay and had done well in that, as...as we know. So, the 400 - oho! - that's something to try. And it was after a comeback. And to win it, well, that was my greatest feeling to know I'd done something that I wanted to do because I was told to come back, God told me to come back. So I was annoyed at first. I didn't want to do it. Then I said, "OK, you win," and I did it.

JANE CUNNINGHAM: That fourth gold medal means that Betty has won more athletic gold medals than any other Australian. Betty retired, but her battles were far from over. In 1969, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

BETTY CUTHBERT: First, when I was told I had MS, I didn't believe them because I didn't feel it very much then. But as time went by, naturally I knew I had it because I couldn't do anything. I slowed up. I had to slow up and...well, every time, I sit like I am now, sitting all the time. But, uh...I've never had any pain with it. I can thank God for that. I'd love to be able to walk and run and all that. But I don't think about it. I don't concentrate on things I can't do. I do what I can do.
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited August 2009
    ilness itself is but a symptom of the impermanence of life. perhaps, as the saying goes "your enemy is yout best teacher", it helps to demonstrate the frailty and impermanence of life. If there was no disease and we lived for eons the whole point of being human would be lost and we would become gods/demigods, with much less chance of liberation.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks Guys.

I can understand the body decaying through age but I can't understand it decaying prematurely - what is the point. Surely we came into being to be functioning human beings with the capacity to contribute to the world postively.

And truly, in all my thinking about this, I never EVER thought it would come down to karma. Hmm food for thought there. Thanks for your ideas and wisdom.
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited August 2009
    sara wrote: »
    Thanks Guys.

I can understand the body decaying through age but I can't understand it decaying prematurely - what is the point. Surely we came into being to be functioning human beings with the capacity to contribute to the world postively.

And truly, in all my thinking about this, I never EVER thought it would come down to karma. Hmm food for thought there. Thanks for your ideas and wisdom.

human bodies are no different than fruit- they ripen and decay, sometimes prematurely
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Sara, dear friend,

One of the most difficult questions - perhaps the only one that those of us who have life-shortening conditions want to ask - is "Why do bad things happen to good people?" As you can see, above, there are those who will answer that "sh*t happens", whereas others will reply that "k*rma* happens". Neither is particularly satisfactory to us as we suffer shortening and alteration of life by illness.

The most difficulty answer but the only one that makes real sense to me is that there is no answer, only living from day to day.

Your mother and all your family are in my thoughts as you confront the uncertainty of a cruel condition. No matter what its "cause", you deserve and need our love and compassion.
  • edited August 2009
    That's lovely of you Simon.

Well I've gone past blaming my mother. I am glad none of you jumped own my throat telling me how cruel I was to think that way anyway. I was being honest.

I am someone who seeks a reason for things and I don't think the world is so chaotic that people get terrible illnesses randomly. It's a way of seeking security on my part I am aware of that.

I understand that cancer is increasingly linked to stress. That smoking and drinking are known to cause cancers and liver failure. Heart disease is linked to stress... So when mum had a problem with her nerves I just thought "right, an alcoholic shakes when they can't have a drink so this must be the nervous system reacting after 15 years of abuse".

I know that were I to be diagnosed with something, I would feel so angry. Having a family member diagnosed with something makes you think about how you'd cope if it was you.

I quite like the fruit analogy Yuri. If it was physical decay like a pear fallen on the ground and rotting I'd get it. But seeing people suffer and in constant pain (not mum's case it comes and goes) seems futile to me. Like a Catholic notion of penance or something.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm sorry to hear that. :( My mother has breast-cancer, so I know what you mean.. Until now, I still don't understand why we have the things we do. I sometime do believe the whole phrase 'things happen for a reason,' but then again I don't. Karma is something I'm starting to believe in to. I wish I could've helped. :/