Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Oneness? twoness? threeness? :D

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
So I'm looking at objects around me and figure that these objects don't exist by themselves.... we know that right, every single thing is just a concept, you know...
how one thing depends on another, and on another, etc etc

Does this mean that, anything we look at is EVERYTHING?
and that there is nothing- that isn't everything.

In the same way i'm thinking that there is NOTHING that IS 'something'....

So if I can't look at things in this way , how the hell am I supposed to look at things...is the only something, Everything?

wtf

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    A baseball bat is a baseball bat, and if I were to hit you over the head with it, you'd be pretty darned sure it was a baseball hat, and solid and very, very real.

But it is also a phenomenon, and break it down into it's finest mollecular components and it's not a baseball bat at all.

The question is, so what?
    Just accept it.
    Things are as they are, because they are as they are.
    It's called 'dual thinking', or 'dual existence', and everything is subject to duality, impermanence, change, decay and ending.

That's it really.
    Accept it, and live.

While you can.
  • edited August 2009
    no.
  • edited August 2009
    I don't want to "accept", knowing the "relative" truth of things.
    .... such a weak position
    I want total understanding!!!, If there are two sides to the coin I want to know what it looks like in the middle- I want to know it's mother and its mothers mother etc..
    I want to know the TRUTH of what it is I'm touching, what's around me, what I'm sensing...what I am, where I came from , where I'm going....
    wait a minute...

emptiness? is that the key to all this?, that is what it is...isn't that the truth of this chair I'm sitting on....

is everything in reality like a blank page, until we temporarily draw something on it?

reminds me of scientists saying that we directly influence the results of the observation by observing...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Well then you have a choice.

Study and practice.
    nobody can make you realise and understand these things, but you.

or just relax and live in the moment because it too, is the only thing that exists, but is not real.

If you can combine the two for yourself, so much the better.

Read "The Quantum and the Lotus" - a study of how science and Buddhism can co-exist and combine.
  • edited August 2009
    The Quantum and the Lotus.. Hmm great thanks for the recommendation Fede.

Also, dual existence. How is it actually defined? I never came across this term before.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    I want total understanding!!!

"It's nice to want things."

You won't find this kind of understanding through Buddhist practice. You're barking up the wrong tree.
    edited August 2009
    sara wrote: »
    The Quantum and the Lotus.. Hmm great thanks for the recommendation Fede.

Also, dual existence. How is it actually defined? I never came across this term before.

Dual existence, is understanding the lesson on Self, and Not-Self, and learning that all phenomena are Mind-wrought because of their impermanence and composition.... but it's also understanding that inspite of this not-self existence, Self also exists because if we're cut, we bleed, and if we bump into a door, it's solid enough...

Enlightenment is REALISING it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    You do seem to be becoming very dualistic, Fede LOL
    edited August 2009
    Well, yes I am.
    But no, I'm not.

Take your pick!

:lol:

hello Simon!

((((Hugs!))))
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    So if I can't look at things in this way , how the hell am I supposed to look at things...is the only something, Everything?

It's not so much cultivating a new way of looking at things, but understanding how you are looking at things now. Usually our attitude is that if we like something we think it's good and if we dislike something, we think it's bad. We're projecting our feelings out on the world, as if our likes and dislikes were out there instead of inside us. When we see this (not just understand this) our likes and dislikes become easier to handle. That's just one example, there's more to it, but I hope it gives you a better understanding.