Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Essential Buddhist texts

edited September 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Greetings!

I am pretty certain I am about to ask a loaded (and potentially absurd) question. However, I am going to ask anyway because I am interested to see what comes out of it.

I've seen and heard many questions asking for a definition of a buddhist "bible". I realize there really isn't such a singular, monolithic thing as that in buddhism. There is the Tipitaka, with many different versions, which could apparently fill a book case by itself. There is the multitude of Mahayanan texts. But there is nothing even remotely like a single book that all buddhists look to as the comprehensive collection of "sacred" or "canonical" texts.

Be that as it may, I am posing the question of what a singular text might contain if we were to attempt to compile it. If you had 1000 pages to fill with the most potent, essential nuggets of wisdom contained within the vast array of canonical or semi-canonical buddhist texts, what books or sections would you include?

Yes, it is admittedly kind of silly, but I pose the question in earnest. I am interested to know what texts would contain the core of buddhist knowledge to the greatest degree that has been obtained through writing. Some people might include the Dhammapada, some the Heart Sutra or the Diamond Sutra. Some might point to Buddhism in its finest essence in books I've never heard of.

Also, I've read discussion and examination of the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but I've never seen a place where they are laid out explicitly in writing, rather than as a reference. Does this exist anywhere?

In sincere curiosity,
Rhesus

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I'd go for the Dhammapada and the foundation of mindfulness, (Satipathana Sutta). The latter one is included in the appendices of TNH's Miracle of Mindfulness. Not come across it anywhere else but it's a good step-by-step, how to practice sort of guide.
  • edited September 2009
    The Majjhima Nikaya.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I would just have 1000 blank pages. But that's probably a bit too Zen for most people...

Palzang
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Are you looking for things to read, or just curious about people's attitudes?
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I personally believe the absolute core of the teachings is the teachings that all the traditions agree upon which is the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path. With these two things (essentially one since the path is the fourth noble truth) you can find your way to the end of suffering. All the other teachings are essentially just elaborations of the core teachings to help increase our understanding.
  • edited September 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Are you looking for things to read, or just curious about people's attitudes?

I suppose a little of both. I am using other people's reflections upon, or impressions of, Buddhist scriptures as guideposts to illuminate the way towards specific ones that I might read.

Rhesus
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    RhesusMonk wrote: »
    Also, I've read discussion and examination of the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but I've never seen a place where they are laid out explicitly in writing, rather than as a reference. Does this exist anywhere?
    Dear Rhesus

For the basic explanation, the Saccavibhanga Sutta.

For an advanced explanation, the Maha-Cattarisaka Sutta.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
    edited September 2009
    If you had 1000 pages to fill with the most potent, essential nuggets of wisdom contained within the vast array of canonical or semi-canonical buddhist texts, what books or sections would you include?

Yes, it is admittedly kind of silly, but I pose the question in earnest.
    Dear Rhesus

Your proposition is not silly at all.

My list would include:

· The Three Cardinal Discourses of the Buddha

· Anana Sutta<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    · Samajivina Sutta

· Sigalovada Sutta

· Veludvareyya Sutta

· Instructions to Rahula at Mango Stone

· Two Sorts of Thinking

· The Parable of the Saw

· Angulimala Sutta

· An Analysis of the Truths

· The Great Forty

· The Greater Exhortation to Rahula

· Mindfulness with Breathing

· Bhaddekaratta Sutta

· The Six Sextets

· Culatanhasankhaya Sutta

· Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta

· Bahudhatuka Sutta

· An Analysis of the Properties

· Kaccayanagotta Sutta

· Khajjaniya Sutta

· Upanisa Sutta

· Cula-suññata Sutta

· The Snake Simile

· Nakulapita Sutta

· Instructions to Anathapindika

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I've long had possession of a book by Dwight Goddard, by the name A BUDDHIST BIBLE. It's quite good. My edition (1970) has an introduction by Huston Smith. The book is still widely available in print.

Its general contents are impressive, broken down into six sections:

Selections from:
    1) Pali Sources (80 pages)
    2) Sanskrit sources (300 pages)
    3) Chinese sources (150 pages)
    4) Tibetan sources (65 pages)
    5) Modern sources (20 pages)

and finally, a Summary of Lord Buddha's Dharma (12 pages)
    edited September 2009
    stuka wrote: »
    Filling in the blanks:
    Thank you Stuka.

2ldxbhv.gif
  • edited September 2009
    Greetings!

Be that as it may, I am posing the question of what a singular text might contain if we were to attempt to compile it. If you had 1000 pages to fill with the most potent, essential nuggets of wisdom contained within the vast array of canonical or semi-canonical buddhist texts, what books or sections would you include?Also, I've read discussion and examination of the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but I've never seen a place where they are laid out explicitly in writing, rather than as a reference. Does this exist anywhere?

In sincere curiosity,
    Rhesus

1,000 pages?

What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
    The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nhat Hahn
    Dhammapada translated by Thomas Cleary
    The Diamond Sutra translated by Red Pine
    The Heart Sutra translated by Red Pine
    The Shobogenzo by Dogen Zenji

That's really all you'll ever need right there if you're stuck on an island or in samsara.

-Gassho.:)
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Someone here has to wave the flag for Tibetan Buddhism, I guess it's me.

Looking at my bookshelf I see:

Dharma Paths
    The Way of the Bodhisattva
    Lamp of Mahamudra
    Chenrezig Lord of Love
    The Life of Milarepa
  • edited September 2009
    Buddhadhamma: Natural Laws and Values for Life by Phra Prayudh (P.A.) Payutto would be a good single text, as well.