Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited April 2010 in Arts & Writings
Has anyone else here watched Avatar: The Last Airbender? It's a cartoon that ran for 3 seasons on Nickelodeon here in the US (Wikipedia, IMDB) and they're currently working on a live-action movie version.

I told Brian tonight that after getting most of the way through the first season, I feel like it is what's given me the final nudge to find a temple and is reinvigorating my interest Buddhism. His reply? "Well yeah, it's kinda like a kids' primer for Buddhism."

After having a good laugh about me fitting the target demographic, I decided it's absolutely true. The series is really brilliant and only gets better and better for adults as it progresses (Brian says he cried profusely at the series finale). While being silly and indulging in the magical, it really brings home lessons of martial arts and Buddhism. If you ever feel inclined to check it out, I highly recommend it. :)

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Never seen it, but I like your new avatar.
  • edited September 2009
    I second that recommendation! Avatar is the show that actually got me interested in Buddhism. It's extremely well-written and is so much fun to watch.

It's a perfect mix of magic, comedy, action, great animation, great characters, compelling cohesive story and Buddhist morals/philosophy.

In a nutshell, the show is a hoot and a half if not two whole hoots. Check it out!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Is this the same Avatar that was in the news recently? Didn't the movie producers give the public a taste of what the film was going to be like by showing a preview? If it's the same Avatar then it caused a huge ruckus, a good ruckus. Fans were freaking.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Yes, I've seen the first two seasons. I think it's a great show. I can't wait to see how it ends.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Is this the same Avatar that was in the news recently? Didn't the movie producers give the public a taste of what the film was going to be like by showing a preview? If it's the same Avatar then it caused a huge ruckus, a good ruckus. Fans were freaking.
    No, that's the new James Cameron fantasy/scifi movie. This movie will be called simply "The Last Airbender" to avoid a conflict with Cameron's in-utero blockbuster.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited September 2009
    It feels great to hear others talking about this show. I feel the same exact way. I think it's amazing, while still reinforcing my Buddhist ideals.

My wife isn't a fan of cartoons, and she gets so annoyed when I watch the Avatar . . . sometimes for like two or three hours straight.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    I love the show and I hope the movie turns out alright but, it really could go either way. M. Night Shyamalan will be directing it and he has had some really good ones and some extremely bad ones but not really any in the middle. The good news is that the actual cartoon writers are working with him on getting the story to fit properly in a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1dhqc-JBs
    edited September 2009
    What concern's me is M. Night's obsession with twists. While it's very entertaining in some movies, in this particular movie it could destroy it.

Hopefully it works out well.
    edited September 2009
    Just finished season 1. Glad to see more fans :)
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    What concern's me is M. Night's obsession with twists. While it's very entertaining in some movies, in this particular movie it could destroy it.

Hopefully it works out well.

I watched an interview between him and the writers for the cartoon series. He became a fan of it watching it with his daughter and said he wanted to follow the story completely. So I wouldn’t expect any twist, but because of time limitations I also won’t expect the story to be dead-on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiGRraX3Fs
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    No, that's the new James Cameron fantasy/scifi movie. This movie will be called simply "The Last Airbender" to avoid a conflict with Cameron's in-utero blockbuster.
    Thanks Lincoln!
    I'll keep an eye out for the show. Sounds like something I'd love.
    edited September 2009
    kenny wrote: »
    I watched an interview between him and the writers for the cartoon series. He became a fan of it watching it with his daughter and said he wanted to follow the story completely. So I wouldn’t expect any twist, but because of time limitations I also won’t expect the story to be dead-on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiGRraX3Fs

Thanks for the link. Good information there.

I didn't know they were planning on having a 6 year production, three movie trilogy.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I've never seen it, but my nephew was a big fan.
  • edited September 2009
    ehhh I've seen it a bit, it's low on my list tho...of ultra sick anime/cartoons..but yeah there is a bit of buddhismishness
    edited September 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    it's low on my list tho...of ultra sick anime/cartoons
    :wtf:
  • edited September 2009
    I could tell you some to watch if you are into that sort of stuff..
    I'm a story whore...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    My friend's son, who is 9, loves this show. He watches and re-watches the episodes (they don't have a TV, so he watches them on DVD). He's also very much a natural Buddhist. Obviously been there, done that before!

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Just wondering if anyone saw the new trailer during the super bowl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sh82kWaEM

looks fantastic
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Actually I saw it before the Super Bowl (which I didn't watch, not having a TV). It was on iMDB. It looks good!

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't seen it!
  • edited February 2010
    I've watched this. In fact I went through a very unhealthy episode where I watched all the seasons in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks. Hehe.
    It is very good, but more magic, than Buddhist imho.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Not Buddhist at all. Just fantasy.

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    I don't think it IS Buddhist at all, it just has Buddhist undertones.
  • edited February 2010
    After reading this thread and being a minor fan of the show, I had to do some googling on the subject. If you're willing to trust wikis, apparently Buddhism influences the show as far as character design (via Aang's wiki):
    Aang's character has a well developed cultural ideology. According to the show's creators, "Buddhism and Taoism have been huge inspirations behind the idea for Avatar."[13] A notable aspect of the character is his vegetarian diet, consistent with Buddhism or Taoism.[13] In the Brahmajala Sutra, a Buddhist code of ethics, vegetarianism is encouraged.[17] In "The King of Omashu", Aang demonstrates his vegetarian beliefs by refusing to eat meat.[12] Aang consistently shows a reluctance to fight and an aversion against killing. In "The Spirit World (Winter Solstice, Part 1)", Aang gets into a fight with an angry spirit who is destroying a village; instead of fighting the spirit, Aang negotiates.[18] In Buddhism, this principle is known by its Sanskrit name, ahimsa, or non violence.

Actual in-show references (via Avatar fan-wiki):
    The chanting that can be heard when The Island/Lion Turtle calls to Aang, in Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King, causing him to sleepwalk/swim to him is a Buddhist chant, "Na Mo A Mi Tuo Fo Shin Di" (spellings vary). This chanting was first heard in "Winter Solstice Part 2: Avatar Roku" when the Firebenders were assuming their stances in front of the Door to the Fire Temple Sanctuary. It was heard again in "The Siege of the North, Part 2" right before Aang stepped into the Spirit Oasis to fuse with La. Na Mo A Mi Tuo Fo" (南無阿彌陀佛) is from Da Bei Chan Fa (大悲懺法), and translates as "Blessed be Amitabha Buddha".

And various naming/cultural conventions (via an Avatar fansite):
    Tibetan Buddhist monks have a specific influence on Avatar: The Last Airbender. These monks used the same tests to find their Dalai Lama (spiritual leader) as the Airbender Monks used to identify an airbender Avatar - having an infant locate four ancestral toys. The Tibetan monks used visions as well. In addition, Monk Gyatso is named after a 14th Tibetan Buddhist Dalai Lama.

A lot of it is pretty basic stuff, that one would expect in a show based on Eastern culture. But hey, it's still a kid's show primarily. At any rate, it's neat to see all these little things I hadn't even noticed before.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey, i'm not even sure if this is the right forum to post this in, so if it's not feel free to move.

I am taking a Buddhism class at Cal State Northridge, I have used Aang in many examples and discussions and emphasized how much this show and Aang meant to me. Today we had to turn in an image related to our topic and connect it to Buddhism.

I'm wondering if there is any official statement from Mike or Brian about Aang and his religion. Is there anything officially put out discussing Buddhism and avatar that is cannon? My instructor really liked my idea but he said it would help if i had some authoritative sources from the show or creators that it could refer to. I know i won't find anything scholarly about Avatar and Buddhism (I have looked) so i have to site all the Buddhist stuff from official Peer Reviewed sources, but anything from or about avatar will be considered a secondary source unless states by the creators or Nick.

Do you guys know of any interviews (youtube?) or anything where Mike and Brian officially speak of Aangs religion and it's effect on the show?

I posted my proposal below in case anyone wants to read.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
      http://dharmafolk.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aang-in-robe.png

This is Aang, *a Buddhist Monk portrayed in popular cartoon called Avatar: The Last Air Bender. This is a still from the cartoon that aired on Nickelodeon. This is the first time i have
      seen a Buddhist as a main charter in a television show.

Without going into many details Aang lives in a world divided by the four Great Elements
      (earth, water, fire, air). Each division has special people who have the ability to
      manipulate his or her respective element. There is one person born every generation who
      has the ability to manipulate all four elements, he is the "Avatar".

Aang's current world is in ruins and warfare and we have to follow his journey mastering
      the elements. Aang belongs to the Air Nation, all of whom were Buddhist monks (he is the
      last of his kind due to a genocide). Throughout the series Aang if faced with challenge
      being a Buddhist. Aang will not kill anyone and respects all life therefore he has to find
      creative ways to solve problems rather than just executing his opponents.

Although not directly stated in the show, as Aang's journey mirrors a bodhisattva's journey to understand and release the Five Aggregates. Once Aang masters all four elements (aka matter, or Rupa) he has the ability to call upon all the knowledge, experience and power of every Avatar that came before him at will. Aang detaches himself from his earthly existence and in return receives great power.

I chose this image because Aang and this cartoon mean a great deal to me. The cartoon talks about balance and finding peace within turmoil. In My mid twenty's, *Avatar: The
      Last Airbender was the first interest i had that did not involve drugs or Alcohol. Becoming interested and excited about this show allowed me to occupy time with more constructive
      things to do. So as i watched Aang bring balance to his world, he also brought balance to mine. *
      [/li]
    • PalzangPalzang Veteran
      edited April 2010
      Hi Joshuah,

Did you read the post right above yours by mrdude? He's got a quote from the show's creators. You might also check the avatar fan wiki he mentions.

I've never really watched the show, but my friend's son (10) loves it. He was born a Buddhist, and I mean that in more than just a label.

Oh, btw, it is not the first TV show to star a Buddhist. There was also Kung Fu with David Carradine back in the '70s (before your time). He was a Shao Lin Buddhist monk who went around the countryside righting wrongs and helping people.

I would point out that your description of a bodhisattva isn't quite accurate. What you describe I think would be better called an Arhat (or Arahant), one who trains to master the aggregates to attain enlightenment. A bodhisattva is one who dedicates this and every future life to the liberation of all sentient beings. So an arhat is like a stage I one bodhisattva.

Palzang
    • edited April 2010
      Palzang wrote: »
      Hi Joshuah,

Did you read the post right above yours by mrdude? He's got a quote from the show's creators. You might also check the avatar fan wiki he mentions.

I've never really watched the show, but my friend's son (10) loves it. He was born a Buddhist, and I mean that in more than just a label.

Oh, btw, it is not the first TV show to star a Buddhist. There was also Kung Fu with David Carradine back in the '70s (before your time). He was a Shao Lin Buddhist monk who went around the countryside righting wrongs and helping people.

I would point out that your description of a bodhisattva isn't quite accurate. What you describe I think would be better called an Arhat (or Arahant), one who trains to master the aggregates to attain enlightenment. A bodhisattva is one who dedicates this and every future life to the liberation of all sentient beings. So an arhat is like a stage I one bodhisattva.

Palzang

Thank you for your help! I will further explain Aangs path in my paper/outline, i was really just brain storming, but i thank you for taking the time to read my post. I was born in 83, so the 70's was now that far away.

I think i have how i'm going to relate the two and make it all work.

Avatar: The Last Air Bender Thesis *- Buddhism In Western Pop Culture.
      An American View On Buddhism

This is the first American children television show to feature a Buddhist monk as an protagonist. The show was extremely successful and was popular with it's target age group 6-11 and beyond. The show was able to reach out to Western minds using fundamental Buddhist principals. So while this not may be an accurate description of how all American's see Buddhism this is an illustration to pick apart why so many 6 and 7 year olds were willing to turn in and be exposed to the Dharma each week.

[li]How must Buddhism be presented so it will appeal to a western thinking audience? (use avatar as an example to illustrate points.)[/li] [li]How does the American view of Buddhism differ from that of someone from sri lanka? (Aang had Monk Gyatso, and at one point literally saw a Guru)[/li] [li]The four great elements (mahabhuta) and how it relates to the avatar's story.[/li] [li]How Aang's path mirrors the western view of a bodhivistas path. The show illustrates enlightenment through Aang's journey.[/li]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also i found this post accidental on google and boy am i glad i did. first off, this is a beautiful site. Most sites that have to do with Buddhism clearly choose function over form (repeatedly) and remind me of websites that were designed in the 1990's. This site is soft on the eyes and easy to navigate! It's a simple functional design that doesn't have a white background and blue links, so i'm impressed LOL (i'm a graphic design student and I also do web design)