Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's kind of been on my mind lately

edited September 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Can anyone say that they are buddhist?
I mean, ever since i've been introduced to buddhism i've fallen in love with it, I find it as a very peaceful life and when someone asks me "What religion are you?" i'm not quite sure what to answer.

Comments

• edited September 2009
    u must understand the question and questioner*

I mean, what do they want to know. ask them their definition of religion...what they want to know.....etc, ....you know..what's your definition of religion..
    you could answer that question a million different ways depending on the situation...maybe you're a buddhist, but are you sure? never. maybe that question is invalid

I am a buddhist, but i'm not a buddhist....maybe you should say, you're religion is..
    human-beingism...,

or they want to know which set of commonly accepted lies you follow..
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Cameran wrote: »

Anyone can say anything they want to. :)

There are no canonical criteria for who is and isn't a Buddhist. People have often suggested that I'm not really a Buddhist. It doesn't bother me. I follow the Buddha's teachings in order to end suffering, not in order to look like a Buddhist.
  • edited September 2009
    Right on thank you Five Bells. Heh you're wonderful
  • edited September 2009
    Cameran wrote: »
    I mean, ever since i've been introduced to buddhism i've fallen in love with it, I find it as a very peaceful life and when someone asks me "What religion are you?" i'm not quite sure what to answer.

Greetings Cameran, I noticed you recently and in the "newbies" thread and guess we arrived here at about the same time.

I think your question is bound up somewhat with what we mean exactly when we use the word "religion", which as of late has become a profoundly negative word, at least here in America. What most people don't seem to understand is that the word "religion" is derived from the Latin word religio which means "to re-link" or "to re-connect". As I see it this means to reconnect to what is most important. That means that in the truest sense, to call your mother on Mothers Day or spend time with your children is a "religious" activity. Again, most people have this strange idea that "religion" is something tha happens in a spacific building with a spacific group of people on a spacific day of the week using a spacific book...and this is incorrect in my view.

When someone asks me what is my "religion" I generally just say that I'm a Buddhist for the sake of simplicity. I will sometimes describe myself as "one who follows the Dharma". I like that one because it often gets people to ask me what that means, which always results in an interesting conversation.:)

Namu Amida Butsu
    Namu Amida Butsu
    Namu Amida Butsu
  • edited September 2009
    Hi Cameran :)
    How are you doing?
    Well, I only recently started calling myself buddhist. I thought it was too pure and wonderful a title for me to deserve it but I am a mortal and I'm as good as I can be in that I really try to be good, compassionate, non egotistical etc.
    It's whatever you feel comfortable with!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I wasn't comfortable calling myself a Buddhist until I really dedicated myself to studying and practicing it. It took me about 4 months of investigation to finally make the commitment to Buddhism and from then on I thought of myself through and through as a Buddhist.

I was born and raised a Christian but I never thought it would be my religion for life. Buddhism, on the other hand, is definitely going to be my last.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I have had to confront this question again recently on admission to hospital. I realised then that my answer will always depend on context: why is it being asked? It has a different meaning at a dinner party, a job interview or on a hospital admission form. And my answer is also context-dependent: what do I want from my answer? Do I want a discussion? Do I want a visit from a chaplain? Do I want to 'show off'?

There just isn't a single answer because it isn't a single question for those of us who are not part of a recognised 'congregation'.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I was asked what my religion is as a father on my daughter's secondary school enrolment form-she goes to a catholic school, so I had the exact same thought-as simonthepilgrim is this a way to be seen as a smarta$$? could this damage my daughter's life at the school? would my wife and I be seen as "hypocritical"? (we don't attend a "church".

turned out to be no problem, muslims/christians/catholics anyone can attend this school.

but it does make you think, when asked, am I coming of as religious loser- like when Ned Flanders calls himself a Christian-there are some "nerdy" and "weirdo" connotations-however nowadays I no longer care.

cheers
  • edited September 2009
    One of the reasons this is always problematic, is because there are some very specific cultural memes associated with religious identity labels that can actually run counter to what we discover about the mind while practicing meditation and following the teachings of the Buddha dhamma. As Simon mentioned, it is all about context as to how comfortable I am about answering this question when asked.

Since I have taken the precepts and accept the triple gem as a guiding principle for my practice, does that make me a "Buddhist?" Not necessarily so, for I do not belong to any recognized lineage or formalized sangha. Our local sangha is eclectic and leader-free. There is no guru, no roshi, no priest, and thus no cult of personality! Exactly the way I prefer it to be. If one finds a sangha from an established tradition which fits, that's wonderful, but it doesn't make such a person a Buddhist anymore than it turns me into a non-Buddhist.
  • edited September 2009
    Dhamma Download has some excellent lectures by SayaDaw U Jotika where he talks about how he came to calling himself a Buddhist. For many years when he was asked to fill out any kind of document that asked for his religion, he would write “No Religion Yet” despite his intense study of the Dhamma.

I call myself a Buddhist because that is what I am. :) The label is unimportant because it is ultimately my study of the Dhamma and my application of its principles into my own life that really matter.

~nomad

sage.gif
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Coincidentally, I had this discussion with a priest and nun at lunch last week: they asked me what I had put on my hospital form. We had a good giggle because I had put "Roaming Catholic" - at least it avopided the abominable chaplain
  • edited September 2009
    I'm the questioning everything type, so right now I'd still call myself agnostic, but looking into Buddhism. I wouldn't call myself Buddhist until I find proof of reincarnation and karma etc, and believe in that stuff fully, if I ever get there.
  • edited September 2009
    Hello Spartickis,

Belief in such things is not a requirement of Buddhism. The Buddha certainly didn't require it, and he pointed out that although such views may cause one to act morally, they are based in mere speculation and do not lead one to the quenching of suffering, which is what He taught.

One example of the Buddha pointing this out can be found in the Maha Cattarisaka Sutta, MN 117, which can be found at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html .
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Spartickis wrote: »
    I wouldn't call myself Buddhist until I find proof of reincarnation and karma etc, and believe in that stuff fully, if I ever get there.
    Spartickis

When you find proof in your heart & mind about what is suffering, its cause, freedom from suffering and its cause, you will be Buddhist or awake.

:)
    edited September 2009
    Validus wrote: »
    What most people don't seem to understand is that the word "religion" is derived from the Latin word religio which means "to re-link" or "to re-connect". As I see it this means to reconnect to what is most important. That means that in the truest sense, to call your mother on Mothers Day or spend time with your children is a "religious" activity.
    The word religion means to bind, to reconnect as stated. It is generally taken to mean 'to bind or connect with God'. However, in general, the word is ambiguous & unsuitable for non-superstitious forms of Buddhism.

In Buddhism, the practical substitute is the word dharma. This is derived from the meaning "to support, to maintain, to uphold". So dharma is that which supports or maintains life.

For example, our work, our relationships, our knowledge & skills, our spiritual practice, the environment, the Nirvana element, the Buddhist teachings, our eyes, ears, nose, body, mind, intenstines, etc, etc, etc, are things that support and maintain our life and mind. Without them, our life would die or be troubled.

So the word dhamma is much more accurate, meaningful & practical than the word religion.

If we read the Buddhist scriptures, we will learn the Buddha called his religion 'this Dhamma-Vinaya'.
    We will learn when various sectarians met eachother, they would ask eachother the question: "To whose dhamma do you profess?".

After they had exchanged the usual courteous greetings. Upatissa said: "Serene are your features, friend. Pure and bright is your complexion. Under whom, friend, have you gone forth as an ascetic? Who is your teacher and whose dhamma do you profess?"

Assaji replied: "There is, O friend, the Great Recluse, the scion of the Sakyas, who has gone forth from the Sakya clan. Under that Blessed One I have gone forth. That Blessed One is my teacher and it is his Dhamma that I profess."

The Life of Sariputta
    I have heard that on one occasion, when the Blessed One was newly Self-awakened, he was staying at Uruvela on the bank of the Nerañjara River, at the foot of the Goatherd's Banyan Tree. Then, while he was alone and in seclusion, this line of thinking arose in his mind: "One suffers if dwelling without reverence or deference. Now on what priest or contemplative can I dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him?"

However, in this world with its devas, Maras & Brahmas, in this generation with its priests and contemplatives, its royalty and common-folk, I do not see another priest or contemplative more consummate in virtue than I, on whom I could dwell in dependence, honoring and respecting him.

"What if I were to dwell in dependence on this very Dhamma to which I have fully awakened, honoring and respecting it?"

Then, having known with his own mind the line of thinking in the Blessed One's mind— just as a strong man might extend his flexed arm or flex his extended arm — Brahma Sahampati disappeared from the Brahma-world and reappeared in front of the Blessed One, and said:

Past Buddhas, future Buddhas
    & he who is the Buddha today,
    Removing the sorrow of many —
    All have dwelt, will dwell, he dwells,
    Revering the true Dhamma.
    This, for Buddhas, is a natural law.

Therefore one who desires his own good,
    Aspiring for greatness,
    Should respect the true Dhamma,
    Recollecting the Buddhas' Teaching.

Garava Sutta
  • edited September 2009
    Spartickis wrote: »
    I'm the questioning everything type, so right now I'd still call myself agnostic, but looking into Buddhism. I wouldn't call myself Buddhist until I find proof of reincarnation and karma etc, and believe in that stuff fully, if I ever get there.

I would point out that the Buddha denied the existance of an immortal/immaterial "soul" (atman) and therefore reincarnation is not a part of Buddhist belief, teaching or doctrine unless you happen to be from Tibet.
    edited September 2009
    Validus wrote: »
    I would point out that the Buddha denied the existance of an immortal/immaterial "soul" (atman) and therefore reincarnation is not a part of Buddhist belief, teaching or doctrine unless you happen to be from Tibet.
    All major schools of Buddhism hold to reincarnation/rebirth beliefs. The original Buddhist scriptures show the Buddha often taught about rebirth/reincarnation to those who held it as a pre-existing belief.

However, Buddha separated his teachings into two kinds: mundane truth and supramundane truth.

Buddha taught belief in rebirth sides with merit (but is connected to becoming and defilement). It promotes morality in those who believe it plus its doctrine accords with the laws of kamma. That is, unenlightened action today will bear a result in 'the future'. Siding with morality means it protects adherents from self-harm.

"And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the other worlds. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously born beings.

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta

• edited September 2009
    I think the answer I give really depends on the situation and the person you are talking to.

For instance ... If a random person on the street or someone at work asked me what religion i am - id tell them '' hindu'' ... its a simple word that for most people will conjure up basic images of gods and temples and women in saris... .it by no means comes close to explaining my beliefs but then the complexities of it for most people in a simple conversation would either be way over their heads or just too much information...

it gets the idea over that - despite my western looks - i dont subscribe to western thinking or ideals and sometimes thats enough for me...

Other times Ill say im a follower of Sanatana Dharma - '' universal truth or path or teaching'' ... its what some people believe is the ''correct '' name for Hindus... ( the word Hindu orginally described the inhabitants of the Indus area... and many Hindus dont like using it - but it does have the convenience of being short and simple :) )

To other Hindus im a Vaishnavah - a follower of Vishnu/ Krishna...

I guess id also describe myself as a Buddhist too...I read and follow the teachings of Buddha and believe he reached enlightenment and liberation from Samsara... I do believe in an eternal soul / atman as well as a creational life force that has many faces ( I dont like using the word God ) ... does that make me Tibetan Buddhist or not Buddhist at all ? I really have no idea...

I think if a person on the street really asked me Id say Buddhist Hindu... my faith is a mix of the two - kind of the way it is in Nepal...

Definitions like that though really are - i think more for the benefit of other people that the person being asked to define themselves in a religious context... faith and belief are so complex that when you think about it - trying to contain it all in a single word - seems quite silly....

you are whatever you believe yourself to be...
  • edited September 2009
    Channah108 wrote: »
    I think if a person on the street really asked me Id say Buddhist Hindu... my faith is a mix of the two - kind of the way it is in Nepal..

It is not really possible to "combine" Buddhism and Hinduism and remain in any meaningful way orthodox to either...like being a "Muslim Christian", it just doesn't work.
  • jhanajhana Explorer
    edited September 2009
    For about the first two weeks of investigating 'this Buddhist lark' I didn't call myself a Buddhist. Then I caught myself really really wanting to become enlightened and help others and stuff (even though I had no idea what I was letting myself into) and I started calling myself a Buddhist.

Personally I reckon we can be Buddhists even if we've hardly heard any of Buddha's teachings, so long as we've heard some and acted on what we heard.
    edited September 2009
    At one time in my life, I used to meditate alot. As such, I found it difficult to call myself a 'Buddhist' because the mind was so used to non-labelling.

However, the day 'I' realised 'I' was a Buddhist, it was a great shedding of ignorance.

To acknowledge one is a follower of the Buddha's teachings is cool.

• edited September 2009
    I find myself saying that I practice buddhism if the question comes up... But I hate the fashionable/ mystical/ slightly anal connotation of buddhism in popular culture, so then I feel the need to say "but I'm not heavy about it - I hardly talk about it unless with like-minded souls..." to justify myself.

Now I come to think of it, that's a real pity and it actually says lots about my values and insecurities I guess.
    edited September 2009
    sara wrote: »
    Now I come to think of it, that's a real pity and it actually says lots about my values and insecurities I guess.
    Maybe or maybe not.

For myself, I rarely tell anyone I am a Buddhist. Usually, it simply does not feel appropriate.

Two nights ago I met a Christian woman alone on our beach and we spent an hour or two talking about her life and matters very important to her.

Whilst she was impressed by my understanding of the Bible and extremely grateful for the practical knowledge I had to share, I mentioned often I was not a Christian and did not mention once I was a Buddhist.

• edited September 2009
    Why didn't she listen?
    edited September 2009
    sara wrote: »
    Why didn't she listen?
    She listened intently, with need to have someone support her views.

(We live in a small rather liberal community, with a strong drug culture).

There was no reason to say I was a Buddhist.