Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Requiem for the food

edited September 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I want to take this space to apologize to the tuna I am eating..
and to all the animals I have eaten....or had killed to feed my peoples...

this might be a long post, if everyone wants to pay their respects please do so..

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    If you feel that badly, why eat it?

You will find, (TheFound) that the subject of eating meat and vegetarianism is probably the most contentious issue amongst Buddhists, possibly more than any other.....

The bottom line - as I see it - is to make up your mind about whether you wish to eat meat, or not, and be happy with whatever decision you make.

If you give up meat, then do so, and don't be too militant or critical of those who choose not to.
    If you continue eating meat, do so without need to apologise, justify, explain, clarify or feel guilty.

Whatever you do, I wish you well, but do it, have your own reasons for doing it, and live with it, for yourself.
  • edited September 2009
    lol i expected everyone to give me an AMEN on this...
    lol nevermind please delete thread
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Better than apologizing to these sentient beings, now that you have a connection with them, why not make a vow to attain enlightenment for their benefit?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    TheFound, we don't just go deleting threads willy-nilly.

Why, firstly, would you 'expect an AMEN to this?'

Has vegetarianism never crossed your mind, if you feel sad about the death of a creature simply to fill your stomach?

Many non-Buddhists actually assume all Buddhists ARE vegertarian, and are quite surprised that they're not....

And what do you think about Pally's suggestion....?;)
  • edited September 2009
    It's too tough to attain that sort of thing...
    I'd like to benefit all sentient beings, but it's well....nevermind fudge it!
    I'm going for it..
    I will do it
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Each meal can be an occasion to exercise a grateful mind. Try it: say "thank you" (or 'grace' as we used to call it)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    It's too tough to attain that sort of thing...
    I'd like to benefit all sentient beings, but it's well....nevermind fudge it!
    I'm going for it..
    I will do it

Well, no one can do it right off the bat. Or even after many years of practice. It takes time and patience and confidence in the teachings to accomplish them. Please don't think it happens overnight or that it's easy. It's not easy at all. In fact, it's probably the most difficult thing in the world to do. But the payoff is equally grand.

That's why we start with simple steps, like Simon suggested. Learn to be mindful of what you're doing. If you're eating, be there with the eating, not off somewhere in your mind fantasizing about whatever or watching TV or reading or... Mindfulness is a big part of the practice. Anything we can do to develop mindfulness, or as Ram Das put it, Be here now!

BTW, you should avoid fudge. Rots your teeth... :D

Palzang