Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Evolution..

edited September 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Anyone know where we messed up?

I realize what I am today is the result of, little single celled organisms, who decide to become multiple celled organisms.....then screwing up and deciding they want to survive...wtf? how you just go from matter, to matter that matters.......lol or- matter that wants to survive?

where did that 'will' come from..now we are up shits creek because, we are these HUGE organisms that have like 1 billion survival functions...

including the virtual 'self' program which is ridiculously hard to get off the operating system...... it's ridiculous...:eek:

we got the whole delusions of separation problem, useful for survival but wtfs the point in the first place....

we look at our selves in the mirror and don't GET IT cause it's so normal, that we are these RIDICULOUSLY IMPOSSIBLE creatures...CREATURES..:rolleyesc:rolleyesc

like i don't get it, how you go from a bit of subatomic matter, to evolving eye balls, wtf are eyeballs anyway?! how the feck do you just evolve EYES, we decided maybe oh lets get another sense organ WTF what other senses are we missing if you can just add senses like that...

... I don't think it's been long enough to develop these things...maybe christians are right and GOD the super LORD and JESUS the ultra CHRIST just created us with magic... a few thousand years ago...i'll drink to that AMEN

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I won't disagree with you, we are all entitled to chose what to believe or not.
    I don't think Buddhism is concerned so much where we came from; after all, that is in the past and we are living now. To focus so much on the past is a great injustice to the moment we live in, lets spare this moment the injustice of an unmindful mind. ;)

Furthermore about our "virtual self"
    We are still just pieces of; the earth, the solar system, the universe. We are made of the same atoms and subsequently the same sub-atomic particles of all things in the universe (we're all-stars.) Does the Earth have "self' any more or less than you and I have "self"?
  • edited September 2009
    (I know that's all in the past, but sometimes; it helps to examine mistakes from the past, so we don't make them again) :eek: :eek: original quote !! the found-2009 :p
  • edited September 2009
    "I don't think it's been long enough to develop these things..."

Really?
    My advice would be to have another think. Just sit for 5 and try and contemplate how long 3 billion years is.
    Three BILLION!
    Take a year, mulitply it by a thousand.
    Multiply that by a thousand.
    Then by another thousand.
    Times by three!

As for the eyes - there is a lot of very well presented evidence out there. In simplest terms it began with cells that were just able to percieve changes in light and shadow. Later clusters of these cells that were able to distinguish more clearly. Then the cells developed a slight convex shape so they could also percieve the direction that light was coming from etc etc and so on and so on.
    There a number of creatures today with very rudimentary light-sensing organs that are not sophisticated eyes - there just hasn't been the evolutionary pressure on those species to develop sight.

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    First of all, realise we are still evolving.
    Secondly, don't worry about such matters.

Why precisely do they matter?
    How does knowing such things really affect your practice?
    Does it enhance it?
    Do you think your practice would in any way be improved by knowing any of this?
    If the answer is, "I dunno".... then the answer is 'No'.

If it were to improve your practice, you'd know it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    It all starts with the basic delusion of "self" and "other", Found. Everything stems from that - evolution, multicellular organisms, brains, sense organs... It's all from that basic delusion. So how did it happen? You did it. We all did it. We created this being we call "I", we created the planet, we created the universe. It didn't just happen, and god didn't just snap his fingers and create it.

Palzang
  • edited September 2009
    Indeed...you make the world each time you open your eyes.

As for evolution, I think Darwin was dead wrong. Obviously we are still apes.:banghead:
  • edited September 2009
    so now on the brink of extinction.... is our best chance at enlightenment?
  • edited September 2009
    TheFound wrote: »

I'm not sure I understand your meaning here, Found.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2009

Actually our conservation status is listed at "least concern", so we're quite far from the brink of extinction.
  • edited September 2009
    Are you sure?
    I believe differently I guess.
    I meant that we have the best resources to learn Dharma nowadays,
    But also the world is the most messed up EVER. It's a miracle we haven't been nuclear attacked yet. IMO. or Pandemics will get us, if not, the economy... which north america really
    messed up (lies, printing fake money, debt, etc)

and if not the terrorists that will get us with a critical hit somewhere, the anti-terrorists will get us..

you know like 3/4 of the world SUCKS and probably wants to commit suicide but aids or malaria or frigging the black plague will get them so they don't bother...lol
    you got african death squads going around butchering towns ..real life boogie men..they will rape you

you got like north korea that doesn't even know how they feel, middle east is fucked too...the states has more guns then every action movie combined...

and the list goes on and on....i forgot global destruction of the ecosystem too...

time for buddhism!!!! , the world needs a path to be revealed, to escape out of this dangerous jungle, it will eventually fall on us to be the shepherd of this generations earth populace..
    hmm that feels right , right?!
  • edited September 2009
    Are you sure?
    time for buddhism!!!! , the world needs a path to be revealed, to escape out of this dangerous jungle, it will eventually fall on us to be the shepherd of this generations earth populace..
    hmm that feels right , right?!

The wisdom and compassion of countless Buddhas & Bodhisattvas in the ten directions is limitless. But if we do not seek out their wisdom, if we do not harness compassion...then it is as if they didn't exist.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    These are the dark times of Kaliyuga, Found. There will arise more and more wars and rumors of war, armies and violence everywhere, false teachers and lack of belief in any religion or spiritual practice will abound. That's the way it is RIGHT NOW, and it's not going to get any better any time soon. But there is a reason that things aren't worse, and that is because of the actions of those few beings on our planet who practice and accomplish bodhicitta (wisdom + compassion). They are working hard to stave off the darkness and keep it from overwhelming all of us. Yes, even you can be of benefit to this creaky old world and its misguided inhabitants. All you've got to do is practice the teachings of Lord Buddha.

Palzang