Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Trials Begin...

edited October 2009 in Meditation
I've decided I need to totally transform myself and quickly. In order to become the man I want to be. So it will call for desperate measures..

I've decided to do ridiculous challenges of endurance of the body and the mind.

Yesterday I did some, Physical training, (since I just recently quit smoking and drinking (lethal amounts) )
So I ran until I couldn't run anymore, until i was almost sick , and then I re-ran the entire length of what just made me sick. the 2nd time was easier for some reason...

Then the Mental training: from 5am to 6am today I sat still on my hard wood chair, and just looked at my digital clock. for one complete hour. it was pretty ridiculous, try it, you will see what i call "the animal in the cage" effect . It made me think I had spiders on my face, itches all over my body just to get me to move, , It's interesting to battle against your own will like that. If you try it, note how you feel at the 30 minutes point.

I figure after conquering that, Training my RESOLVE... I will easily be able to conquer drugs or alcohol. which only takes a split second of will to decline an offer.

Anyway I'm going to devise more challenges, and post them here, because they all have sort of an underlying meditation theme. My will is like a small muscle that I've just discovered but I need it to have amazing strength to achieve my goals...gotta work out

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I find your intention a worthwhile intention, but I wonder if maybe there isn't a better way to go about it.

I like to compare starting meditation to dipping chips in dip. If you get too much dip you lessen the overall experience, same if you don't get enough. In meditation I feel it is better to keep it at a comfortable lesser amount first because unlike chips, you're welcome to double dip.
    If you habitually sit and meditate for 15 minutes to the point that your day wouldn't be complete with out it, you can aim for 30.

There are many ways, and I am not saying yours is any less of a way than the others out there. So please keep us informed on how you're progressing.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    In order to become the man I want to be.

For what it's worth, Buddhist practice is concerned with the end of becoming. Good luck, though.
  • edited September 2009
    First step always is to gain knowledge on what you want to do and understand it precisely. A good teacher or a book is mandatory. Avoid Factory Bhavana, a waste of time which is good for learning basics. Meditation is an individual excercise and must be done in solitude. Try various methods and select the one or ones that work for you and which in your opinion give best results. This will take months or years, certainly not during a retreat. To verify what you achieve will be difficult as there probably few in a billion in the world, including instructors and monks, who have attained even the first level in concentration, (First Jhana) let alone higher noble states.

Here's my website which gives basics in dhamma and meditation. You may or may not have a peek, but it might help.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sunil_vijaya/
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    The problem with doing it as fast as you can is that you are very likely to burn out and drop the whole thing. Better to emulate the tortoise than the hare.

Palzang
  • edited September 2009
    No way Palzang!!
    I don't like it...

The tortoise if you remember, only won because the hare was silly, cocky and arrogant. Imagine if the hare was smart, sharp and humble. He would accomplish much more than the tortoise. And possibly reach enlightenment faster :D

(don't say "it's not a race" ahahahha)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    It's not a race (hahahaha)

But in fact the hare was not smart, sharp, and humble. That's the point.

Palzang
  • edited September 2009
    If you run the '"race" so quick you may fail to notice it is all a circle.
    While the hare is running lap after lap, the tortoise has simply stepped off the track.
  • edited September 2009
    "take the backwards step" someone once said.. hmm...

Anyway I do need to change however because I'm inadvertently causing other people to suffer.
    My goal when I say "becoming the man I want to be", is becoming at the very least a man who doesn't make ripples that hurt the other ducks in the pond...:cool:

and to accomplish this I need more strength of mind body and character..
    right now as I am.... I will just die in a huge debt to the world...

I can't be a "-person" i want to be a "+person", my parents didn't waste their lives on me so I could waste my life...you get it!:)
  • edited September 2009
    What a quick response! Yes, I understand where you are coming from and I find it to be a very noble intention. Having never been addicted to drugs or alcohol I can not offer much personal advice on the matter (I almost feel like I am missing out on a learning experience by not being addicted ;) )

If you do continue this method please keep us all informed!
  • edited September 2009
    Dogen used to say to his monks, "Practice as though your hair was on fire," referring to having a sense of urgency regarding the here and now. Of course, this does not mean one should wake up in the morning, douse their head with lighter fluid and strike a match.

Your sense of urgency is fantastic. You are most likely reacting to time lost. So now, slow down just a bit and know that this practice is that of a lifetime of new beginnings (as opposed to becomings, to concur with the earlier reply!)
    edited September 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    and to accomplish this I need more strength of mind body and character..

Try the meditation described in this series of podcasts. The classic remedy for addiction is joy, and that is a joy meditation. You can do it as much as you want, too. I was doing it eight hours a day, at one point. But, make sure you know why you'redoing it. The practices you're describing sound like a form of self-punishment. At any rate, they are clearly punishing, in the sense of causing you distress, and as such constitute an inherently unstable way of life. If you want to "totally transform" yourself, it's helpful to realize that in fact a total transformation occurs in every moment. Meditation practice will teach you how this works.

Also, get some support. A twelve-step program is going to help a whole lot more than a meditation practice. (But, there is no dichotomy, there. Both together will be much more helpful than one or the other by itself.)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I've decided I need to totally transform myself and quickly.....

My will is like a small muscle that I've just discovered but I need it to have amazing strength to achieve my goals...gotta work out
    Sounds awesome TheFound.

Go for it!

:)
    edited September 2009
    No way Palzang!!
    That's the spirit.

(Be neither the hare nor the tortoise.)

edited September 2009
    Buddhist practice is gradual. All of the Buddha's discourses are such.

Our spiritual life starts with our body, moves to our livelihood, then to our general actions, then to our relationships, then to our mind and then to the end of becoming. Alot of becoming is required before the end of becoming.

There was once a famous teacher named Bhikkhu Buddhadasa, who was in palliative care for the last 18 months of his life. On the few occassions he spoke before his death, he gave the same speech about Dhamma practise.

Bhikkhu Buddhadasa's parting words were Dhamma is four kinds of correctness (samma):

1. Bodily correctness.

2. Social correctness.

3. Mental correctness.

4. Correctness according to Emptiness.

So to conquer drugs or alcohol is part of getting our body right, healthy and something that satisfies us.

• edited September 2009
    :eekblue:
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Not so fast dude. Sharpening your body and mind is good, but you've got to pace yourself. If you push yourself to the point of sickness then that does nothing but hurt you. Punishment of the body can be just as harmful as over-gratification of it. The Buddha tried this. It did not work for him ether.
  • edited September 2009
    If all goes well sickness will not touch me, I am pacing myself too.
    I remember Buddha trained in these things to the point of near death..
    I will learn from his example but follow in his footsteps
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    "Everything in Moderation.

Including 'Moderation'' ". ;)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Why the need for asceticism, Found? The Buddha went to much longer extremes to attain enlightenment and found that the Middle Way was best! I've partied until I couldn't see straight and done most things in my life to extremes. They always leave me feeling run down and learned that it wasn't the brightest thing to do.

Running til you become ill means you are running until you are dehydrated. Are your muscles sore also? Make sure to replace what your losing. I tried walking in the middle of July 8 miles with no water or hydration. Luckily, a friend picked me up 2 miles before the end as he could see I was dragging. Using common sense is also allowed in whatever you do. Again, check what your reasoning is. I wanted to be the best man possible at 20. At 44, I still haven't acheived it, but I allow myself to try every day. Works best in the long run.

By the way, staring at a clock for one hour!?!? Think about trying some other form of mindfulness next time.
  • edited October 2009
    lol jerbear, I'm a lazy , afraid, fool!!
    I need to go overboard so regular stuff won't scare me anymore,

the 1 hour thing, is training so I can work long hours at a job or concentrate on things unwaveringly..and endure whatever i'm going to have to in the shit-storm that's coming my way...
    the physical training is so I can get healthier, and more confident.
    I'm going to do some more mental training too.

The bottom line is I'm too soft and useless right now. This is the medicine I need to take :o
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2009
    You are not useless. I've been unemployed for 18 months right now and I still have value no matter what anyone says. So if I have value, so do you.

Hey, why don't you try out for that show "Mantracker"? I would love to see you on there. That guy will put you through your paces in 36 hours! Let me know what you think about going through the bushes for a day and a half with a buddy. I can't do it because I'm old, fat, and a broken back to boot. But I'm sure you can find someone to go with you. It's only done in pairs. I will even root for you. Just PM me to let me know when you will do it.
    edited October 2009
    The bottom line is I'm too soft and useless right now. This is the medicine I need to take :o

These kinds of feelings come up a lot for me, too. The irony is, it's the sense that I'm too soft and useless which holds me back from doing anything useful. Self-hostility is paralyzing.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Have you talked to a therapist about your feelings towards yourself?
  • edited October 2009
    I have spent alot of time trying to force change in my life, and it works only in fits and starts for me. Recently I've had more success letting go of the things that bother me- I've found the harder i concentrate on solving the problem the more dominant it becomes in my mind. Its like when i couldn't sleep- I would try all night to sleep with little luck. It was only when I let go of driving myself to the goal of sleep that sleep came to me. In some things (eg quicksand or a spiders web) furious action sometimes compounds the original predicament. Maybe this is all irrelevant to your situation though. I agree that immediate and decisive action can be right sometimes. I also think that people need to trust their own gut on what is the right path to take, with advice from friends.:buck:
  • edited October 2009
    You are having a great time on your road, I wish you well.
    xangira
    :rolleyes:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I've decided I need to totally transform myself and quickly. In order to become the man I want to be. So it will call for desperate measures..

I've decided to do ridiculous challenges of endurance of the body and the mind.

Yesterday I did some, Physical training, (since I just recently quit smoking and drinking (lethal amounts) )
    So I ran until I couldn't run anymore, until i was almost sick , and then I re-ran the entire length of what just made me sick. the 2nd time was easier for some reason...

Then the Mental training: from 5am to 6am today I sat still on my hard wood chair, and just looked at my digital clock. for one complete hour. it was pretty ridiculous, try it, you will see what i call "the animal in the cage" effect . It made me think I had spiders on my face, itches all over my body just to get me to move, , It's interesting to battle against your own will like that. If you try it, note how you feel at the 30 minutes point.

I figure after conquering that, Training my RESOLVE... I will easily be able to conquer drugs or alcohol. which only takes a split second of will to decline an offer.

Anyway I'm going to devise more challenges, and post them here, because they all have sort of an underlying meditation theme. My will is like a small muscle that I've just discovered but I need it to have amazing strength to achieve my goals...gotta work out
    This is great!
    1 hour meditation?
    Is that the longest you have ever done?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I find your intention a worthwhile intention, but I wonder if maybe there isn't a better way to go about it.

I like to compare starting meditation to dipping chips in dip. If you get too much dip you lessen the overall experience, same if you don't get enough. In meditation I feel it is better to keep it at a comfortable lesser amount first because unlike chips, you're welcome to double dip.
    If you habitually sit and meditate for 15 minutes to the point that your day wouldn't be complete with out it, you can aim for 30.

There are many ways, and I am not saying yours is any less of a way than the others out there. So please keep us informed on how you're progressing.
    Has it worked out for you?
    You meditate once a day for 15 min?
    Or 15 min twice a day?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This was in 2009.
    2 years ago.
    I would imagine TheFound has probably forgotten all about it and moved on to diff'rent strokes.

I can assure you, I'm almost completely certain this methodology got nowhere.
  • I know it's hard, but you need to accept yourself as you are, and love yourself even though you may feel you've failed up until now. I would recommend a practice that entails inner healing and compassion towards yourself. I've just got back from a Medicine Buddha retreat/study weekend and I would recommend that practice for you, if you're interested. It is a very safe practice, very calming and very positive.