Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is my CAT? I am a robot?

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Okay so here I am late at night, my cat comes in the window and jumps up on my bed, we lounge around a bit and I'm trying to digest Buddhism and stuff in my head.

So I decided okay, ask a question to myself

"what's my cat? really ?" (not MY cat i realize, I might be his owner, but I don't really OWN HIM you know...)

so then..."what's THIS CAT?" (He's not really a CAT, you know a CAT is a 'word' we use for him, but CAT is not his reality, you know in different languages he's something else..)

so then..."what's THIS", (THIS in front of ME, which turned into THIS in front of THIS)

then... "what's what?! in front of what?" and i got stuck..

another question I had was;
Am I not, just a robot made of flesh with no soul?

imagine a computer A.I with a body. the computer can have senses sure.
he's/it's aware of his surroundings, sure (there are programs for that...).

once he's aware he's aware..(i'm not sure if this program exists yet i dunno how the feck we evolved it, unless i believe that guys theory about how we have mirror brain neurons or patterns that watch other brain patterns..)

like.. are we even aware or sentient? is that maybe just an illusion? anyway

when and if the sentient robot determines he wants to survive, he would probably create some kind of self program....and he would call what he takes around with him and what he feels with, "ME"

now if I murdered this robot and he lost his "LIFE?" should I go to jail?

anyway we are just machines with this so called sentience right?

I dunno where i'm going with this, plz comment i find this interesting...
could someone take rebirth into a computer a.i ?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    These kinds of ontological questions don't find any answers in Buddhist practice.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    These kinds of ontological questions don't find any answers in Buddhist practice.

....or just about anywhere else, IMHO :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    TheFound... remember my suggestion.

Ask yourself, when such mind-mangling obstacles arise -
    "Is knowing the answer any help to my practice?"

And here, I think we have a majority vote on the answer being a resounding 'No'....:rolleyes: :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    C'mon, Found, don't you know we're all just part of the Matrix? :rolleyes:

Palzang
  • edited October 2009
    Cats can be useful in sitting. Less distracted, they go into their waking sleep and there you are, not wanting to disturb the cat, keep you from doing other things. Except when they're hungry, in which case they want you to liberate their suffering from lack of food/water/catnip.
  • edited October 2009
    guys i feel like u underestimate the importance of these things in our practice.

these things may not help alleviate suffering. TRUE

there are more important things in my practice i should be focusing on. TRUE

But to have a more complete overall model of "what is what" coincides with like at least one or two of our 8foldpath

don't be donkeys okay? I think u guys are being donkeys.

Im serious when i ask these questions.. I want you to think about it and help me formulate a conclusion.

someone said, "don't take my word for it, examine it yourself" and thats what i'm doing, just cause that mofo buddha said these things aren't important to practice dont follow him blindly, he might have been busting one of his, "oh for simpleminded people its this way, but for intellectuals there is another teaching, because they can handle it"-style.

okay, i gotta go post a topic now i wanted to post,
  • edited October 2009
    My apologies for the donkey-ness on my part. Part of my own straying, I'm afraid.

It is good sometimes break down things to baser objects, even to the point of falling into the mirror, yourself as illusion. In some sense, that can help in defining the world as illusion..

Even the Matrix comment can be interpreted as part of this, where Neo was given the opportunity to move aside the veil and saw the world as it is. In the real world, we don't get that opportunity very often, although it is achievable. Others know this far better than myself, I will admit.

Instead of offering something useful, I made an aside about the cat.

Again, my apologies. Just an amateur at all this.