Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things to remember, 4nobleTruths, precepts, etc.

edited September 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Okay off the top of my head, in my own words, I want to memorize these important points in Buddhism.;

so help me out here to refine them and edit them, after this I will probably never forget;

Noble Truths

#1. Life (in Samsara) is unsatisfactory, we all suffer. Or will end up suffering, suffering is inevitable..

#2. This state of suffering is caused by Self-centered cravings, attachments and delusions....and Ignorance...

#3. There can be liberation from this state.

#4. Liberation can be attained through the understanding and practice of these 4 truths, the five precepts and the 8 fold path..

The 8 Fold Path
(I don't remember 2 or 3 of them so I will look them up)

#1. Right View: I guess means our total understanding how we view it all..

#2. Right Intention: Self explanatory?

#3. Right Speech: Don't lie, be mindful of your words etc?

#4. Right Action: Your actions should be based on #1-8?

#5. Right Livelihood: I always thought of this as your job, what you do to live, make it based on #1-8

#6. Right Effort: Make an effort? don't be lazy about it?

#7. Right Mindfulness: Be ever mindful

#8. Right Concentration: Don't be distracted from the path? meditate? etc?

The 5 Precepts

#1. No killing : don't kill or take life, you wouldn't want it to happen to you.

#2. No stealing: same

#3. No lying: same

#4. No sexual misconduct: Don't mess around with what could get you in trouble, sexual desire is strong be careful about it and proceed under direction of the #1-8 fold path

#5. No Intoxicants: lol trust me, intoxicants can make you stray from the path, mess up your mind and your chance at being human, can lead to breaking all other precepts too,

Now I don't know how to explain Rebirth and Karma but so far am I correct in my understanding?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Noble Truths

#1. Suffering is attachment. For example, "my" birth, "my" sickness, "my" aging, "my" death, "my" sorrow, "my" pain, "my" loss is suffering.

#2. This state of attachment is caused by ignorance & cravings.

#3. There can be liberation from this state.

#4. Liberation can be attained through the understanding and practice of the 8 fold path.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2009
    The Truths and Path in more humanistic language :)
  • edited September 2009
    Thank You Lincoln-tron :D I really like how the author makes it feel less complicated ...I remember the first time I heard of each 8, in a classroom studying religion like 7 years ago..I thought oh my god this is complicated, how are we supposed to remember all these friggin things .....

(note: "Lincoln-tron, isn't a typo somehow , hahahah no red line under it in post HAHAHHA wtf :p)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    The Truths and Path in more humanistic language
    It is very important to avoid any explanation of the First Noble Truth that includes the word 'life'. The Buddha did not teach this and this will be a major obstactle to understanding & realisation.

Life is not suffering. Suffering is suffering.

:)