Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Islam on Capitol Hill

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Today
www.islamoncapitolhill.com

Regardless of Creed, in these troubled times unity is important. Please let us use September 25th to realize that peace is a goal that can be worked on from many directions.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I think people are afraid. They're afraid that their beliefs will be challenged and Islam will sweep through the US, multiply and be fruitful. They also fear what they do not understand, thinking Islam is the reason that there are terrorists. It's a very peaceful religion at this time in history. It's the conditions that are imposed upon that part of the world that is churning out terrorists.

If the US was as downtrodden, there would be Christian terrorists, lashing back in the name of God. Tell me that it is not so.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Aldrisang wrote: »
    I think people are afraid. They're afraid that their beliefs will be challenged and Islam will sweep through the US, multiply and be fruitful. They also fear what they do not understand, thinking Islam is the reason that there are terrorists. It's a very peaceful religion at this time in history. It's the conditions that are imposed upon that part of the world that is churning out terrorists.

If the US was as downtrodden, there would be Christian terrorists, lashing back in the name of God. Tell me that it is not so.

Whenever you have a belief and make a claim that it is the only correct belief you inherently are saying all other beliefs are incorrect. In my opinion, that is one of the major reasons why Judeo/Christian/Muslim religions have had so much violence in their history and will have in their future. Sure it is correct to claim Islam is a peaceful religion and Christians in a similar situation might do the same, but what religion isn't a peaceful one? Is Islam a religion that will evolve and allow tolerence for other beliefs?
  • edited January 2010
    Who can say? That doesn't matter to the people who are fearful, but ignorance as with all other human suffering, is the root. I for one have no stake in which religion is prevalent or in what people believe, as long as we are able to continue on and eventually become a brighter future.
    edited January 2010
    I agree that ignorance and attachment are the root of the cause. By having to make a claim that your belief is the only true one, you will invest alot of attachment to that idea and will protect the idea because of your attachment, if you feel your belief and claim are threatened.
  • edited January 2010
    Yes, and that's exactly what I was saying before. If you believe you are correct, you will feel threatened, feel fear, toward those who believe otherwise. When we choose to believe in something, and I mean truly believe, we heap a ton of reinforcement upon that belief and it becomes so deep-rooted that even if the truth were to up and slap you in the face you would sooner reject it than embrace it. We blind ourselves, and so bind ourselves.
    edited January 2010
    I agree, and as I have no attachment to my beliefs as they are perfectly reconciled with my knowledge and insight, I am willing to let them evolve and change as I am further enlightened. (In other words, I am willling to admit I am wrong when I am)

However, I do feel that we should be cautious with the advacenment of Islam into the west, not that the Muslims are dangerous but because of the fact that both Christians and Muslims are attached to their claims of exclusive religious truth.
  • edited January 2010
    It's at once funny, ironic and sad that if you look at it historically, Judaism denied Jesus and Christianity denied Muhammad. They are all part of one evolving religion that has undergone multiple schisms (firstly major ones and now many minor ones, leading to numerous sects).

That Christianity and Islam have so much hate for one another is a logical outcropping of the schism. If only the Abrahamic religions could reconcile and live together in this world, much strife would be abated.
    edited January 2010
    I guess on our part all we can do is work on our own enlightenment and be brave enough to stand up for what just and true.
  • edited January 2010
    I guess on our part all we can do is work on our own enlightenment and be brave enough to stand up for what just and true.
    Would "hallelujah!" be appropriate to express my wholehearted agreement with you? ;)