Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Revelations

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
A person can experience pain and not suffer it.
" " " have his ego embarrassed and not suffer it.
" " " lose his possessions and not suffer it.
" " " lose his family and not suffer it.
" " " get sick and not suffer it.
" " " die and not suffer it..

Is this Nirvana? All these can be accomplished by having intellectually deep enough understandings of them.

The mind can conquer the suffering of Pain, Ego, Attachments, and Fear.

I think my understandings are nearer to completion.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Understanding is commendable, as is studying, learning, knowing and accepting.

The 'hard' part is 'Realising' it and practising.

Being that way, is completely different to knowing that it's the way to be.....
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    Is this Nirvana? All these can be accomplished by having intellectually deep enough understandings of them.

What do you mean by intellectually deep enough?
    If you relate to it as conquest, you'll never get anywhere. What practice leads to is more like a surrender than a struggle. (But it isn't a surrender, either.) A thought comes up, you note it, you go back to your breath. There's no conquest there, just acknowledgement, a return to what is already there, and rest.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Fivebells, would you maybe agree that 'acceptance' may even be better than 'surrender'....?

Surrendering might be the opposite to conquer.... it seems like losing the fight, or giving up the effort....

Good discussion....
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, acceptance is getting close. Thanks.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009

Yes, all those things can happen to a person and suffering is not inevitable.

But it's not about intellectual understanding, TF. Intellectual understanding is only the very beginning and will have little affect on a person's ability to survive hardship without suffering.

It's about experiential understanding, realization through experience, that develops a person's wisdom. That's when transformation can begin to take place.

Intellectual understanding is the finger pointing to the moon. Experiential understanding that leads to realization and wisdom IS the moon.

See?
  • edited September 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    See?

I think this question should be "Be?"
  • edited September 2009
    But it's not about intellectual understanding, TF. Intellectual understanding is only the very beginning and will have little affect on a person's ability to survive hardship without suffering.

It's about experiential understanding, realization through experience, that develops a person's wisdom. That's when transformation can begin to take place.

With the deepest intellectual understanding ,
    experiential understanding is useless..and limiting.

I imagine that the supreme understander, instantaneously develops wisdom by means of prediction, imagination. logic. heuristics..

With this godlike intelligence a person could live in a sensory deprivation tank his/her entire life and be unable to physically practice, but could simulate a thousand lifetimes of errors, learning , wisdom and practice....

So I guess I'm talking about some hypothetical super intelligence...that isn't really possible or relevant for OUR practices...

and 'conquering' is just another way of saying "overcoming gaps of understanding' , i don't mean it the normal way.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Sorry, TF, but you lost me in your last post. I don't understand what you're saying.
    edited October 2009
    (...)
    I imagine that the supreme understander, instantaneously develops wisdom by means of prediction, imagination. logic. heuristics..

With this godlike intelligence a person could live in a sensory deprivation tank his/her entire life and be unable to physically practice, but could simulate a thousand lifetimes of errors, learning , wisdom and practice....

So I guess I'm talking about some hypothetical super intelligence...that isn't really possible or relevant for OUR practices...

So why the heck waste your time - and ours - talking about something imponderable, unconjecturable, hypothetical, imagined and completely irrelevant?!

Why do you not spend your time focussing on examining what you have right in front of you, as opposed to the rambling wild imaginings of some garbled omnipresence?
    Why don't you concentrate on absorbing everything you can, about then very basics of buddhism, instead of launching into nonsense?

Sorry, but really.....! :hrm:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009

I say all of the above except have his ego embarrassed and not suffer it.

One can receive insults and not suffer it. But here, one will not be embarrassed.

The rest are spot on.

:)
    edited October 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    If you relate to it as conquest, you'll never get anywhere.
    One of the titles of the Buddha was 'The Victorious One'.

edited October 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    But it's not about intellectual understanding. Intellectual understanding is only the very beginning and will have little affect on a person's ability to survive hardship without suffering.

Intellectual understanding is the finger pointing to the moon. Experiential understanding that leads to realization and wisdom IS the moon.
    Right intellectual understanding is an excellent foundation.

One can have right intellectual understanding without realisation.

But to have true realisation without right intellectual understanding is impossible.

edited October 2009
    The intellectual foundations are relatively simple and easy to comprehend. No one is saying they're unnecessary, only that they're the easy part, relatively speaking.

If you think TheFound was speaking of conquest in the same sense as the Buddha was victorious, then fine. It didn't seem that way to me, though.