Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Names

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all! It's been a while since I posted, once again I return to gain some insight from this vast vessel of knowledge otherwise known as NewBuddhist.com

Anyway, I received Green Tara empowerment yesterday from my teacher Lama Migmar Tseten. I was thus given a dharma name. Anyway... I wrote about the experience on my blog and someone asked me what the signifigance and reasoning behind a dharma name is. I came up with nothing, my answer to him was probably incorrect. Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance. :om:

Comments

• edited September 2009
    managed to find some good answers to this question... thanks to all who looked! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I know it seems as though your thread was neglected....but maybe the ones who knew weren't here, and the ones who didn't, couldn't say! :lol:

I regret I fall into the latter category, so I'd be delighted if you'd share.....
    It would be an education.

Many thanks!!
  • edited September 2009
    didn't feel neglected on it all Fede... just happened to get the answers already! :)

I was told of this link http://www.khandro.net/buddhist_names.htm which says "Finally, you will be given a new name symbolic of your "entering the stream"...." I guess I already had a small grasp on what it meant, just needed a little more clarity! ;)
  • edited October 2009