Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Receiving Food

edited October 2009 in Philosophy
I’ve recently begun reciting a modified version of a Theravada monk chant whenever I sit down to eat. I think that it helps me remain mindful of the opportunities I have to sit down to a nice, hot meal when not everyone in the world has that ability. I’m interested in knowing if anyone has a special practice or ritual (besides hand-washing :cool:) that they perform before a meal.

~nomad

Comments

• gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Nomad,
    Here is a short part of a food chant often practiced in Chinese temples. It is often referred to as the three recollections.

First spoon: I vow to cut off all evil
    Second spoon: I vow to cultivate all good
    Third spoon: I vow to save all living beings

grackle
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Paṭisaṅkhā yoniso piṇḍapātaṃ paṭisevāmi,
    Considering it thoughtfully, I use alms food,

Neva davāya na madāya na maṇḍanāya na vibhūsanāya,
    Not playfully, nor for intoxication, nor for putting on bulk, nor for beautification,

Yāvadeva imassa kāyassa ṭhitiyā yāpanāya vihiṃsuparatiyā brahma-cariyānuggahāya,
    But simply for the survival & continuance of this body, for ending its afflictions, for the support of the holy life,

Iti purāṇañca vedanaṃ paṭihaṅkhāmi navañca vedanaṃ na uppādessāmi,
    (Thinking,) Thus will I destroy old feelings (of hunger) and not create new feelings (from overeating).

Yātrā ca me bhavissati anavajjatā ca phāsu-vihāro cāti.
    I will maintain myself, be blameless, & live in comfort.
  • edited October 2009
    grackle wrote: »
    Nomad,
    Here is a short part of a food chant often practiced in Chinese temples. It is often referred to as the three recollections.

First spoon: I vow to cut off all evil
    Second spoon: I vow to cultivate all good
    Third spoon: I vow to save all living beings

grackle

I'll take a helping of that.

Chinese Buddhist liturgy is veritably asprinkle with mantras for empowering food and drink; these are the mantras in the Siddham script/dialect, which suggests they existed prior to that in Sanskrit.
    They are available on the net, unfortunately I have completely forgotten what site/s.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    lalavajra wrote: »
    They are available on the net, unfortunately I have completely forgotten what site/s.

That's useful....! :lol:
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited October 2009
    lalavajra,
    Just out of curiosity I am wondering if you have a connection to Chinese Buddhism? If so I would like you to say more.

grackle