Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I think I get it! Wait, no I don't. (Rinse & repeat)

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Something things make sense, then some other things make sense then don't.

I feel like I could sit down with a teacher and ask questions for hours. I get the feeling my understanding of definitions is a bit off or something.

I guess my biggest things are: The idea of watching your breath without controlling it. It seems almost impossible for me to work out how you're supposed to do that. If I watch my breath I feel like I am controlling it, the only time I get any sense of not choosing when and how much to breath in is when I'm not aware of it.

Secondly, The idea of things having no inherant or fundamental meaning, or point. If all things are mind created then surely that means that nothing has a point that you yourself don't make up yourself. With that view, what difference does it make if a person drinks themself dead instead of waiting for the same end, or point of no point. Surely, the only distinction (in terms of good or bad) you can make is one you make up yourself?

Don't get me wrong, I see why I'm thinking this. I obviously see being dead and nothing, as rather a bad thing. I'm also pretty sure I have some funny ideas about what the experience of being dead is like (Seriously, I think of that a lot).

I know its only a problem because I think it's a problem, that makes perfect sense to me. But knowing that doesn't seem to do much more than make me think about it.

I'm not sure if this is going to end up making sense but I hope it does.

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited September 2009
    That's great! Don't stop practicing!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    You're seeing that grasping at an intellectual understanding of this kind of thing sends you spinning like a dog chasing its tail. That's a good development. Keep practicing, and you'll see how it works.
    If all things are mind created then surely that means that nothing has a point that you yourself don't make up yourself. With that view, what difference does it make if a person drinks themself dead instead of waiting for the same end, or point of no point.
    There's a question my teacher asks in this context: suppose you're in a dream, and you know you're dreaming, and in your dream, you happen upon a woman who's bereft because her child has just passed away. How do you respond, and why?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It actually makes sense, because ultimately, nothing does.

Sense, Non-sense.

That's fine.

Abide in what you are experiencing at the time, yet observe it and let it go.

(When you manage to do this, let me know. I'd like a handle on it too..... ;):D )
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Ditto that. Sounds like you're doing well. :D
  • edited September 2009
    what....?! I dun think he is doing good at all. :confused:
    things don't have a point. hmmm?. we pretend...for obvious reasons..

anyway
    you will die, me too. I think it's kind of depressing too....(who?)

you know maybe....if you look at the background...

and anyway
    before you were born, where were u?
    being dead is not lost when you are alive I think.. ,
    after you die u will probably be like before?

I don't even think there is an ALIVE, or a born/die...
    I think in terms of one, when I'm not thinking of twos.. so maybe i'll say something different later...
    maybe it should be looked at in tri-nary....like zeros, ones and twos..
    is 'dual' and 'non-dual' a duality of duality? i wonder if buddha would say look at it in terms of ONE or TWO, maybe I can assume he'd say like look at it in "1.5" as the middle path
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Yes, that makes sense too....:rolleyes: :lol:
    edited September 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    what....?! I dun think he is doing good at all. ;confused:
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Ahahaha, awesome.
    edited October 2009
    (I think I'm getting one of my headaches.....)

Cue RenGalskap......:D
    edited October 2009
    Take care of yourself.
    edited October 2009
    *deflated sigh*.....
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for all the comments, I was feeling pretty hopeless when I posted so it came as a bit of a shock to hear the positivity.
    fivebells wrote: »
    There's a question my teacher asks in this context: suppose you're in a dream, and you know you're dreaming, and in your dream, you happen upon a woman who's bereft because her child has just passed away. How do you respond, and why?

This struck me and has stayed in my mind a lot. I keep on moving from the thought that I would say nothing, then to giving some sort of comfort and support. The whole question makes me uneasy.
  • edited October 2009
    WTF that's a pretty good question:

""suppose you're in a dream, and you know you're dreaming, and in your dream, you happen upon a woman who's bereft because her child has just passed away. How do you respond, and why?""
    I dunno what I'd answer, lemme think about it:

It's gotta be either two of these.

#1 Respond like, it was your own child that passed away.. And/Or respond like you are/were that child that passed away. etc etc every facet..
    (oneness/empathy/absorption)

#2 Respond like, it doesn't touch you, you realize the suffering of all is illusory and self induced. you have transcended birth and death, and don't even need to respond, or even hear the question. ((the question is theirs not yours, at that point))
  • edited October 2009
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by TheFound viewpost.gif
    what....?! I dun think he is doing good at all. ;confused:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>That's great! Don't stop practicing!

:D:buck:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    WTF that's a pretty good question:

""suppose you're in a dream, and you know you're dreaming, and in your dream, you happen upon a woman who's bereft because her child has just passed away. How do you respond, and why?""
    I dunno what I'd answer, lemme think about it:

It's gotta be either two of these.

#1 Respond like, it was your own child that passed away.. And/Or respond like you are/were that child that passed away. etc etc every facet..
    (oneness/empathy/absorption)

#2 Respond like, it doesn't touch you, you realize the suffering of all is illusory and self induced. you have transcended birth and death, and don't even need to respond, or even hear the question. ((the question is theirs not yours, at that point))

Why are you assuming there's a "correct" answer?

Palzang