Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help me please?

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I am in a tough situation for me, i am attracted to this girl and she is attracted to me. We are not in a relationship but i often go to the park or she often comes to my house, i find it very hard not to be flirtatious with her and we often hug or cuddle up together. I really want to get passed this and become just good friends but i find it really hard as she is very beautiful.

Can anyone suggest any techniques or ways to get over this stage.

Thank you.

Hope your all happy and well.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I don't understand where the conflict is here... sounds pretty sweet to me.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Jackus, what do you want to achieve by getting over this attraction?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Actually.... what do you want to achieve, period....? :wtf:

I mean, why don't you want a relationship?
    And if you really, really REALLY - didn't want one - why keep giving in to the temptation of letting her come to your house?
    Why not be more honest and open with her, about what you want, and don't want (whatever they are)?

Think you're going to have to give us a bit more on this one....

Wellcome to our forum, by the way! :D
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Not that there's anything wrong with not wanting a relationship, or with feeling conflicted about it. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the welcome guys :D

I realise i phrased the question very badly and took some time to meditate on the matter and realised that i was seeing a problem where there was none, i am very lucky to have such a good friend, and in the past a kind of bodhisattva :p, thanks for the help anyway.

I hope i can help some of you in future ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Why 'in the past'?
    How would you know that?
    And why not now?

Why do you not wish to be in a relationship with her?
    Are you thinking of ordaining?
    Is celibacy an important factor in your life?
    Does she know this?

Just helping you possibly sort the thoughts out.
    Nice to have you with us......:)
  • edited October 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Why 'in the past'?
    How would you know that?
    And why not now?

Why do you not wish to be in a relationship with her?
    Are you thinking of ordaining?
    Is celibacy an important factor in your life?
    Does she know this?

Just helping you possibly sort the thoughts out.
    Nice to have you with us......:)

I meant that i have been in situations in the past where she has helped me out and given me a kind of awakening on how i am living life and what i need to change. I did not mean she was no longer helping me.

I do not wish to be in a relationship with her because at this moment in time we are best friends, we are very close and i am happy with that, i feel that if we were to be in a relationship that the only thing to change would be the physical side to it and i do not wish to change the whole basis of our friendship.

It is not that i wish to be celibate or become ordained it is the fact that i do not want to destroy our friendship.

It is appreciated :)
  • edited October 2009
    Reading this thread is like looking into a parallel universe.

~nomad
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited October 2009
    nomad wrote: »
    Reading this thread is like looking into a parallel universe.

~nomad

Yep. Most threads I see of this nature are about wanting to get past that friends state.
  • edited October 2009
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Yep. Most threads I see of this nature are about wanting to get past that friends state.

I’m going to go now and see if my couch is stuck to my ceiling. ;)

~nomad
  • edited October 2009
    LOL bro, just show her this thread...or tell her straight up.

you could probably manage to let her know how u feel, AND keep the option open for the future, should u decide to go for her.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    nomad wrote: »
    I’m going to go now and see if my couch is stuck to my ceiling. ;)

~nomad
    LMAO! Good one!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Jackus wrote: »
    I do not wish to be in a relationship with her because at this moment in time we are best friends, we are very close and i am happy with that, i feel that if we were to be in a relationship that the only thing to change would be the physical side to it and i do not wish to change the whole basis of our friendship.

It is not that i wish to be celibate or become ordained it is the fact that i do not want to destroy our friendship.
    Jackus

In my opinion, your attitude here is very wise.

Friendship is the most important thing.

If later both of you developed compatable mutual goals for your futures, then the friendship you have nurtured would provide the foundation of a relationship that many couples lack.

However, apart from that, in my opinion, it is unskilful to harm a friendship due to some physical attraction.

Friendship, appreciation, gratitude and the other mature emotions you have expressed are mature expressions of real love.

Also, try to look beyond the surface and look deeper at the beauty you see. How much of the beauty is physical and how much is of the heart or spirit.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • edited October 2009
    Thank you D.D that was the conclusion i had come to :)

Your words have helped clarify this in my mind and helped strengthen my resolve to build upon and further strengthen our relationship and put this before any sensual motivation.

It is appreciated, Jackus.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited October 2009
    If you are such good friends, perhaps it would be wise to ask her what she wants?