Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Buddhist Bible

edited October 2009 in Arts & Writings
Today I picked up a book called "A Buddhist Bible" and I was just curious if Buddhist actually have a bible? I know I may be holding one in my hands, but I'm not sure of its legitimacy. Any help?

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Nah. Buddhism is not a religion "of the book" like Judeo/Christian/Muslin faiths. There's plenty of writings to guide you, but there's no official assemblage of canonical "thou shalt" writings like you'd associate with those faiths.

Something called "A Buddhist Bible" is playing off your Western conceptions of what religion is.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    What version have you got....?

This one?

Or this one?

Or maybe even this one?
  • edited October 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Something called "A Buddhist Bible" is playing off your Western conceptions of what religion is.
    You hit the nail on the head there.

Although there is no "Bible", there is indeed the Tripiṭaka (aka the Pāli Canon) - the Buddhist canon of scriptures. More information in much more detail can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripiṭaka
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited October 2009
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    needless to say, I was very displeased :(
    Yup, because as soon as they say the word "bible" you know they're more interested in moving copies to Westerners than teaching about Buddhism.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Hello all,
    I have wondered the same thing, almost like does there exist a book that covers all essential scriptures beliefs etc. well in my travels no really.

there is a website that you can order free PAPER copies that will be delivered to your door for FREE. They take a while to ship to here in Australia, however I'm reading one csalled "The Buddha and his Dharma" which seems to be the most concise and detailed account of the buddha and his teachings that I have ever found-and I'm not easily impressed
    I'm pretty sure this is the site...
    I can't see it on my screen due to security but I think budaedu.org is the main site

try this:
    http://www.budaedu.org/en/book/II-02main.php3
  • edited October 2009

That is the one i have.