Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

illusory samsara vs pleasure

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
if we are not to attach ourselves to the illusory things in samsara, then also should we not take pleasure in things, for risk of opening up the door for suffering...

if we rid our selves of suffering completely, does that mean we will no longer take pleasure in things?

because if we take pleasure in things, it creates the existence of anti-pleasure naturally?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    This is how i have always seen it, it is ok to have pleasure in something if at the same time you do not feel suffering if it is taken away from you, because of your attachment. Just my thoughts though, im not sure if i am accurate in them :)
  • edited October 2009
    The way I see it... I take pleasure in many things. I enjoy my home cooked meals, I laugh at comedy movies. But I don't become obsessed with these things. I enjoy them for what they are - external stimuli with only temporary and/or fleeting happiness.

I pray and meditate to maintain my internal happiness, which, through the wisdom of the Buddha, I have learned is the only everlasting happiness.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    if we are not to attach ourselves to the illusory things in samsara, then also should we not take pleasure in things, for risk of opening up the door for suffering...

Where are you getting this from? Pleasure will arise naturally. Just don't attach to it.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    if we rid our selves of suffering completely, does that mean we will no longer take pleasure in things?
    Hi

A strict Dhamma reply is we give up a lesser more transient unreliable dangerous and diminishing pleasure to obtain a more permanent reliable harmless and increasing pleasure.

In the Sukhavagga, the Buddha taught there were two kinds of pleasure, namely, sensual v non-sensual, conditioned v unconditioned and the latter is better.
    290. If by renouncing a lesser happiness one may realize a greater happiness, let the wise man renounce the lesser, having regard for the greater.

Dhammapada
    :)
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    No, attachment and pleasure are two entirely different things. Our problem is that we are attached to pleasant sensations and averse to unpleasant sensations. When you see the illusory nature of both the perceiver and the perceived, attachment and aversion naturally cease.