Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

addiction cure tactic? ,(cig,weed,booze...?)

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Okay i just thought of a cool method to help quit smoking, or drinking, eating...

okay if u smoke tobacco, start to cut back by throwing away ur smokes half-way. (same with weed)

then if you follow this step each time u smoke, you'll realize hey i'm throwing away most of these, and you will eventually brainwash yourself, or EASE yourself into quitting...

apply to booze , (pour some beer out for example)
it's a win win, you save a bit of health each time, but can still drink/smoke, each time i believe it will become more ingrained in your subconscious...

HMM!?!

and diminish.....= for the win

all you need is the will to cut some out..not the will to quit, hmmmm

(side note, maybe the will to quit or the will to do something major in life, is too powerful for people sometimes, so take just the steps leading to it, instead of it , itself.... but if you divide the "willing" into little steps, like,
<dont thing!="" but="" steps="" that="" will="" lead="" up="" to="" the="" thing="">= getting it not it one shot, but little bits at a time>...)</dont>

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Let us know how it works out, TF. Hope it's good.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I dunno. When I smoked I never left any half-smoked.
  • edited October 2009
    Give up alcohol and get drunk on good health and a clear mind.

Give up smoking and deeply inhale the air around you.

Easy peasy !

Good luck with your efforts, TF

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2009
    This is how I quit smoking:

Went for a 3-day drive with a friend and without cigarettes.
    Took a swig of water whenever I wanted a smoke.
    Firmly, gently, told myself, "I don't do that anymore." whenever I wanted a smoke.
    Allowed the craving to exist, without thinking I needed to get rid of it.
    Result? Very minor withdrawal symptoms in first 2 days only. Craving quickly diminished. Total smoking cessation.

Good luck to all of us trying to live with craving and live without a particular something!
  • edited October 2009
    These are pretty standard practices when dealing with drug addiction patients. There are very few long-term success stories from individuals who went cold turkey on an addicting substance. As a counselor, I applaud anyone who has the desire to make a positive change in their lives and free themselves from addiction. Go forth, TheFound.

~nomad
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Personally speaking, and I know I'm not a usual case here, but I really had no trouble quitting cigarettes. I simply decided that I wasn't going to smoke anymore and that was it. There was only the slightest temptation for the first couple of days, but nothing after that. Been smoke-free for 5 years now.