Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chants for Baby

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
We have a recording of Buddhist chants that are so repetitive (my wife says "boring"), that our three-months-old daughter easily falls asleep when listening.
Obviously, this is what every new parent wants.
But we are concerned that too much Buddhist exposure at such an early age might cause spontaneous reincarnation, which we would like to avoid since she might not be reborn to the same parents (and we're so happy to have her!).
Is there a way to prevent this, or should we stop playing the chants to her?
Thanks for any input!

Confused Parent

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2009
    A truly amusing post, Beppi. Welcome.

I have never heard of any "spontaneous reincarnation" and, from my experience of multiple parenthood, anything that gets the little darlings off to sleep is to be welcomed and encouraged. The only problem that I can foresee is that she will grow up blasting Dharma chants through your house. Could be worse. Could be punk or metal.
  • edited October 2009
    Okay, enough trolling. A person with the same username posted the exact thing here: http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=94260
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    First, I get no page using that link.
    Secondly - (bear in mind I haven't seen the page) it doesn't necessarily mean it's trolling.
    I have the same name on three websites, and have cross-posted threads/questions, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    I also think perhaps you might have to re-consider your definition of 'trolling'....?:confused:
  • edited October 2009
    Hi, I have never heard of a thing called "spontaneous reincarnation" so I assumed it was a joke.

If you're not familiar with Internet trolls then take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet). It is not uncommon for trolls to repost their same message on several different message boards. They are "baiting", or "fishing" for responses. Much like the class clown in high school.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Have another look at the Wikipedia article you link to. Going by that article, cross posting a joke doesn't qualify as trolling.
  • edited October 2009
    Spontaneous reincarnation? Troll or not...it is an intriguing idea.

~nomad
  • edited October 2009
    According to Wikipedia "A troll is a member of a race of fearsome creatures from Norse mythology."
    I am neither Norse nor fearsome, thus don't qualify.

Anyway, the responses to my post here and in the other forum confirm my suspicion that Buddhists, like most people who take an idea too serious, lack a sense of humour.
    But to speak in Simonthepilgrim's words:
    Could be worse. Could be crusadors or jihadists.

Confusing Parent (and liking both)

P.S.: Sambodhi, are you really "Spiritually Retarded", as your profile says? What does that mean?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2009
    wahahahaha spontaneous reincarnation?

I'll tell ya, as a parent, I'd take spontaneous reincarnation ANY day over spontaneous combustion, that's for sure.

I'd have a hard time explaining that to the school though. "I swear Perry became a goat, Mrs. Maruca...."
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    beppi wrote: »
    confirm my suspicion that Buddhists, like most people who take an idea too serious, lack a sense of humour.
    Clearly you haven't met Brian and I. :crazy: We're having a good chuckle in real life at the moment. ;)

You have to work a lot harder for the title of "troll" from us. We don't bestow such lofty monikers lightly. Several of our friends are Master Trolls™.
  • edited October 2009
    beppi wrote: »
    P.S.: Sambodhi, are you really "Spiritually Retarded", as your profile says? What does that mean?
    I personally feel that due to my upbringing, I was developmentally delayed in terms of spirituality. It's something that I am working on. ;)

Oh and sorry for falsely accusing you... You did however mention that no Buddhists "have a sense of humor", therefore you did intend it as a joke thus constituting your posts as "trolling."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Sambodhi, really, don't worry about trolls....
    I think the definition is tenuous anyway.

We don't consider 'joking' as trolling.

We consider baiting and provoking and enflaming unnecessary arguments, with spite, malice and pointless objectives, as trolling. ;)
  • edited October 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Sambodhi, really, don't worry about trolls....
    I think the definition is tenuous anyway.

We don't consider 'joking' as trolling.

We consider baiting and provoking and enflaming unnecessary arguments, with spite, malice and pointless objectives, as trolling. ;)

I'm confused... does that mean by calling someone a troll when they aren't a troll (like sambodhi did) is in fact trolling?
    edited October 2009
    Not in this case, no.
    I can see no malice or spite intended.

Can you? :)