Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism a Religion or ...

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
... is Buddhism a personal experience of Profound Absolute Truth?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    It can be.

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Eventually, I would say, yes.

How long does it take?

Aaaaah.
    That is the question. ;)

It is not Buddhism which is unclear, you see.
    It is we who do not get it...
    That's what takes the time.

Hello Grace, and welcome.
  • edited October 2009
    I like Wikipedia's definition:

A religion is a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, deity or deities, or ultimate truth.

Using that as a definition, then yes, I believe that Buddhism is a religion. But not in the way that most people think of a religion.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Is Buddhism X?

Yes, for someone, somewhere.

The Buddha compared his teaching to a raft that one uses to cross a river. The raft is not the other shore, and you don't carry the raft around with you when you reach the other shore.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I personally don't find it to be a religion. I am quite godless and quite without dogma, quite without ceremony or worship.

I am also quite a buddhist.

That's just me, though. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Brian I'm with you on this one. Mind you the word religion has taken on negative connotations hasn't it. I think I associate religion with the often wildly contradictory followers and religious structures that trail behind an individual/prophet/other. Of course the individual usually sets out to avoid war and promote unity, the followers find a way to turn it round to justifying war and separateness. I see what i do as a 'way' which is a more neutral word. The word religion also has links with ideas of otherness, perhaps the belief in weakly evidenced narrative constructs and supernatural beins and forces. When i get into these areas of belief i get wary.:buck:
  • edited October 2009
    I asked the question because I was interested to know how many people actually 'experience' the message of Buddhism as opposed to 'read up/memorise/repeat/expound' the teachings in an intellectual rather than an experiential way.

When I stayed in Buddhist Centres in UK several years ago, I was amazed at the number of people who sat going through books and texts etc, yet had never experienced a past life recall for example. Whenever I asked for discussion about Buddhism what I got was the quotation of various texts but not the description of any direct experience of the knowingness or gnosis of the cycle of death and rebirth.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Grace53 wrote: »
    I asked the question because I was interested to know how many people actually 'experience' the message of Buddhism as opposed to 'read up/memorise/repeat/expound' the teachings in an intellectual rather than an experiential way.

When I stayed in Buddhist Centres in UK several years ago, I was amazed at the number of people who sat going through books and texts etc, yet had never experienced a past life recall for example. Whenever I asked for discussion about Buddhism what I got was the quotation of various texts but not the description of any direct experience of the knowingness or gnosis of the cycle of death and rebirth.

I'm not sure that 'memory' of 'past lives' is integral to the practice of Buddhism, either as a religion or as a philosophy or as a way of life.
  • edited October 2009
    So then ... what is Buddhism? Is it a collection of stories passed down through generations? Is it a set of practices and dietary rules to follow? Is it a Godless religion of sorts? Is it an intellectual argument against there being a 'God' as in the Christian religion? Or is it the direct experience of the truth of the nature of who and what we actually are?

I'm interested in learning how different people or 'buddhists' actually approach Buddhism and whether they find a different meaning beneath the surface layers of the teachings etc.

I see 'religion' as something GIVEN to people to study and follow. But I experienced Buddhism as something that wasn't put in front of me or handed down to me by anyone - but as something I MOVED towards as a direct result of personal experiences which caused me to question the actual metaphysics of my existence.
  • edited October 2009
    "Buddhism is not religion. Buddhism is science of mind." - Dalai Lama
  • edited October 2009
    ... it certainly is - and what then is 'the mind' made up of? Is it physical? Where is our mind located?
    edited October 2009
    and what then is 'the mind' made up of?
    According to the Buddha, it's made of the five skandas.
    Is it physical?
    Does it matter? :-)

It's important to remember that the fact that something is not part of my version of Buddhism doesn't make it non-Buddhist. At the same time, the goal of Buddhism is not to have experiences, but to attain liberation from duhkha. People can have a wide variety of metaphysical beliefs and still be Buddhists who share a common goal. Memory of past lives is less important than freedom from the cycle of birth and death. And that requires a practice or way of living that doesn't strengthen the resentments and attachments that bind us to samsara.

You mention experiences that led you to question your metaphysical assumptions. Do these experiences help free you from feelings of hostility? Do they help you to avoid becoming attached to whatever seems pleasant? Are you able to let go of the experiences, or do you need to hang on to them for self-validation?

BTW, I'm enjoying your posts.
  • edited October 2009
    Hmmm ... is there an aim to Buddhism at all? There was no aim about my experiences. They just occurred. No I don't need to hang on to them, I only did that for as long as it took me to understand them, then it was quite easy to let them go and forget all about them. Also, I remembered all through my time at Buddhist Centres when I was learning about 'letting go' and 'non-attachment', and of all things being transient - that there would come a time when I would also want to let go of the concept of Buddhism.

I think that's when the real message that Buddhism conveys really sank in.

Even Buddhism passes.
    edited October 2009
    is there an aim to Buddhism at all?
    I teach only duhkha and the end of duhkha.
    --Buddha
    The aim, or goal, is the end of duhkha. The path is knowledge of duhkha, recognizing it for what it is.
  • edited October 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    The aim, or goal, is the end of duhkha. The path is knowledge of duhkha, recognizing it for what it is.

... be easily and successfully translated into plain English? I presume many people who study Buddhism are from Western and European backgrounds.

So why has it taken so long for the eastern terminology which is associated with Buddhism to be translated into plain English, the language in which I and the rest of the members of this site are speaking and writing in? Why do I have this uncomfortable feeling that many Westerners who become involved in Buddhism, seem to end up with an amazing ability to quote from texts about what the Buddha thought, said and did, they are able to talk about Avelokitsvara, Vajrayana, Buddha, Dharma and Sangha but they are unable to actually experience or put the experience of Buddhism into words in their own language?

I suppose what I'm now asking here is does Budhhism belong to the East? What constitutes a Buddhist? Can Buddhism be REALISED, UNDERSTOOD AND PRACTISED - without having to study and learn a whole new Eastern vocabulary?
    edited October 2009
    ... ................. Can Buddhism be REALISED, UNDERSTOOD AND PRACTISED - without having to study and learn a whole new Eastern vocabulary?

A very pertinent question, Grace. The answer has, I fear, to be 'no', although similar effects can, I believe (if somewhat heretically), be achieved in other ways.

I recall a conversation that I had with a Geshe after a White Tara Initiation. We were discussing our different backgrounds: his in Tibet and Tibetan language, culture, etc, and mine in a Jewish/Catholic, humanist context. He said, and it has stuck with me, "If I wanted to become a Christian, I would have to learn a whole new language."

If you wanted to learn a new discipline, music or physics or medicine for example, you would need to learn a lot of new terms. Why should Buddhism be any different?
  • edited October 2009

"If you wanted to learn a new discipline, music or physics or medicine for example, you would need to learn a lot of new terms. Why should Buddhism be any different?"

Thank you ... I'm enjoying this banter too! Regarding the quote above - I think what I'm trying to say is - that the message of any religion/discipline/philosophy/way of life - including Buddhism - seems to get lost in a sea of vocabulary associated with that particular 'pathway'. If I wanted learn music for example, yes I would have to learn a lot of new terms, symbols etc. But my point is that I wouldn't want to 'learn music' itself in that sense - I would want to EXPERIENCE IT, hear it, make it, enjoy it, dance to it WITHOUT knowing how it all works because I already know that. And that's how I feel about Buddhism - WE already know it within us - so spending years going over texts etc is actually counter productive when what we really need to know is - that we know. That's all. But I think sometimes that appears too simple an answer to those who are seeking some kind of 'knowledge' through Buddhism or any other philosophy.
  • edited October 2009
    <meta charset="utf-8"><a title="View Is Buddhism Really Non Theistic? on Scribd" href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/20893559/Is-Buddhism-Really-Non-Theistic&quot; style="margin: 12px auto 6px auto; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,Sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 14px; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; -x-system-font: none; display: block; text-decoration: underline;">Is Buddhism Really Non Theistic?</a> <object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0&quot; id="doc_380628573440575" name="doc_380628573440575" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" align="middle" height="600" width="650" > <param name="movie" value="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=20893559&access_key=key-2j9c4ld3w1axofju4m9c&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list"&gt; <param name="quality" value="high"> <param name="play" value="true"> <param name="loop" value="true"> <param name="scale" value="showall"> <param name="wmode" value="opaque"> <param name="devicefont" value="false"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"> <param name="menu" value="true"> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"> <param name="salign" value=""> <param name="mode" value="list"> <embed src="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=20893559&access_key=key-2j9c4ld3w1axofju4m9c&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list&quot; quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="opaque" devicefont="false" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="doc_380628573440575_object" menu="true" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" salign="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" mode="list" height="600" width="650"></embed> </object>
    edited October 2009
    But I think sometimes that appears too simple an answer to those who are seeking some kind of 'knowledge' through Buddhism or any other philosophy.
    And I'm exhibit A. I got into Zen because I had a pretty high opinion of my own intelligence, and I figured I could solve any problem those Zen masters could come up with. Unfortunately, it turns out that being kind is more help in studying koans that being smart. So I'm totally screwed.

But I can always console myself with the thought that I'm not as smart as I think I am. :-)

Can you study Buddhism in English? No one living speaks the language that the Buddha spoke. We don't even know what it was. All of the suttas and sutras originating in India are written in languages that he didn't speak. And once Buddhism left India, it had to be translated into Chinese and Khorusan and Japanese and Tibetan and who knows what else. So I don't see any reason why you can't study it in English.
  • edited October 2009
    "Can you study Buddhism in English? No one living speaks the language that the Buddha spoke. We don't even know what it was. All of the suttas and sutras originating in India are written in languages that he didn't speak. And once Buddhism left India, it had to be translated into Chinese and Khorusan and Japanese and Tibetan and who knows what else. So I don't see any reason why you can't study it in English.[/QUOTE]

I agree ... I don't see why 'kindness' can't be recorded, taught, translated and practised in any language. In fact, isn't kindness, a language in itself?
  • edited October 2009
    With regard to Creation ... I tend to lean towards this as an explanation and interpretation of 'God' ...

The Sacred Circuit

"The Sacred Circuit maps
    our direct connection to the cosmos,
    based upon the ancient adage -
    'as above, so below',
    stating that whatever changes occur at the
    macrocosmic level (galactic core),
    affect EVERYTHING at the microcosmic level.
    Our DNA attunes to our cells,
    which attune to our brain,
    which attunes to our heart,
    which attunes to the Earth,
    which attunes to the Sun,
    which along with all
    the other stars
    of the galaxy
    attune to the Galactic Core.
    So whatever changes occur at
    the Galactic Core
    also affect everything in the Galaxy
    all the way down to our DNA!
    Everything is connected through
    this Sacred Circuit by staying in resonance
    with the cosmic rhythmic pulsations
    which cause the spinning of stars and planets
    and even the beating of our heart.
    The possible origin of these
    rhythmic pulsations are revealed
    within the Galactic Core."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    ... it certainly is - and what then is 'the mind' made up of? Is it physical? Where is our mind located?
    The Buddha advised the mind is a natural element. It is something arising from have a nervous system. Apart from that the questions are unrelated to Buddhism. The Buddha was concerned with something that happens to the mind known as suffering or dukkha. The goal of Buddhism is to realise and experience a mind that is free from suffering; a mind that is content, at peace, in harmony and wise, throughout life, through old age & sickness, until death. The mind that has this complete peace is Nibbana or Nirvana. The word 'nibbana' literally means 'not piercing' or simply 'cool'.

:smilec:
  • edited October 2009
    Yes, I can see how the 'mind' arises from us having a nervous system which basically acts as a means of receiving and sending messages for us to make sense of - much the same as the email system I suppose.

Having experienced my own nervous system becoming hypersensitive to vibration of all kinds - odours, textures, colours, noises - even thoughts, that led me to study the effects of subtle vibrations upon my own mind and body and how remaining in an environment where the vibrations may be subtle and invisible but are nevertheless affecting us physically and mentally can cause disease.

Also I understood more easily how we can 'sense' that which we cannot see with the physical eyes. Everything is a vibration because the universe is a vibration. So it makes sense that vibrations affect other vibrations sometimes positively and sometimes negatively. If it's the latter we experience suffering. When we remove ourselves from the particular vibration we experience cessation of suffering. So basically we are all 'noise' of some kind. We all vibrate and that causes movement in our surroundings which to some degree causes noise at levels which are audible and less audible depending on the sensitivity of one's nervous system. The subtle vibration of a negative but unspoken thought from a person we live with perhaps, can cause us more suffering and pain than the noisy washing machine on a fast spin cycle. We can always switch off the washing machine, but it isn't always possible to switch off another person's thoughts or the vibrations they are emitting towards us. I imagine that this is how focussed chanting/praying can work to divert the thoughtforms created by the less conscious person and also how healings, relief from suffering can seemingly arise spontaneously and miraculously.
    edited October 2009
    "If my mental processes are determined wholly by the motion of atoms in my brain, I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true.... and hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms."
    (Prof. J.B.S. Haldane Possible Worlds)
    edited October 2009
    "If my mental processes are determined wholly by the motion of atoms in my brain, I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true.... and hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms."
    (Prof. J.B.S. Haldane Possible Worlds)
    That would be true only if the motion of atoms in Haldane's brain were entirely isolated from the brain's environment. But the brain is connected to sensory organs and input from those sensory organs has been shown to affect the motion of atoms in brains. Given the function of brains, there is reason to suppose that the interaction of brain and environment tends to favor beliefs that are at least true enough that the organism won't die from them. After that, it's a question of whether scientific process is reliable or not.