Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nichiren

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,

I just discovered a local group of Nichiren Buddhists. They meet for an hour once a week to chant Nam-Myōhō-Renge-Kyō. I personally do not find that to be satisfying but the leader of the group is so adamant that I keep coming. She insists that I will have a good time. I am more interested in studying the sutras and learning the teachings of Buddha (which there seems to be little or no emphasis on).

Can you tell me about Nichiren Buddhism? Is there anything beneficial that can arise out of me attending these groups?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I've often heard of nichiren referred to as displaying a few cult-like aspects, such as the insistence on repeated attendance, the pressure to purchase things, and the discouragement of argument against stated principles.

Me personally, I couldn't go near a place like that, but if it works for you, power to ya.
  • edited October 2009
    Hmm yeah that kind of makes me uncomfortable. =\ The women was VERY ecstatic. I felt like I was at a Christian bible study the way she was acting. She said we're all going to "chant away" the problems in our lives, and my mom should convert to Buddhism so she can "chant for a new job" It was pretty creepy.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Go with your gut, sambhodi. You've got excellent instincts.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and whenever I want to find out if there's anything negative connected to a certain school or teacher of Buddhism the first thing I do is Google the name of the school or teacher followed by the word 'controversy'.
    edited October 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Hmm yeah that kind of makes me uncomfortable. =\ The women was VERY ecstatic. I felt like I was at a Christian bible study the way she was acting. She said we're all going to "chant away" the problems in our lives, and my mom should convert to Buddhism so she can "chant for a new job" It was pretty creepy.

As soon as I hear the word "creepy", I run.

If it feels even remotely creepy to you, it's not right for you. Sounds like your instincts will serve you well here, as Brigid said. :)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Hi sambodhi,

I think I can guess which Nichiren sect you found. If it's what I think it is, it's the biggest Buddhist organization in the US. It initially grew through aggressive proselytizing, and there are still members who do that. I had bad experiences with a couple of members of this group, and I was initially very biased against it. I've since discovered that most members are nice people. But there are still individual chapters where the leaders are...well, you saw.

This is only one of several Nichiren denominations. Most Nichiren Buddhists just want to get along with people, study the Lotus Sutra, chant, and maybe try to make the world a little more peaceful.

If you want to meditate, Nichiren Buddhism is not a good choice. If you don't want to meditate, either Nichiren or Pure Land might make a good alternative to Theravada or Zen.

Anyway, mostly good people, but you mileage may vary depending on who you encounter. Come to think of it, that's true for every form of Buddhism I know of.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Hi,

I just discovered a local group of Nichiren Buddhists. They meet for an hour once a week to chant Nam-Myōhō-Renge-Kyō. I personally do not find that to be satisfying but the leader of the group is so adamant that I keep coming. She insists that I will have a good time. I am more interested in studying the sutras and learning the teachings of Buddha (which there seems to be little or no emphasis on).

Can you tell me about Nichiren Buddhism? Is there anything beneficial that can arise out of me attending these groups?

If you're more interested in studying the sutras, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
    edited October 2009
    I think Nichiren is comfortable for Westerners who want to have that "churchy" feeling of belonging to a group and the comfort of rote group activity such as chanting, etc.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that; if it works for you, great. For me personally, it's a big turn off and "creepy", but hey; to each his own :)
  • edited October 2009
    Kinda funny, the daily meditation from amidabuddha.org today is

"In this life, you will achieve benefit from any Buddhist practices you choose. Jodo Shu practice can bring rebirth in the Pure Land and enlightenment, and is easy for anyone to follow."