Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eckhart Tolle: Dhamma Talk?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Thanks for the link, I really enjoy Eckhart Tolle.

Embedded video:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UPg9DnMP2D4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UPg9DnMP2D4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
  • edited October 2009
    nope.
  • edited October 2009
    yep
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Sorry its off topic but how do you embed videos?
  • edited October 2009
    Kikujiro, do you really think this person is teaching dharma?
  • edited October 2009
    Nope, I just think solid views are always worth questioning.

Do you think they are totally not teaching dharma? The dharma has to be taught in it's pure complete form for it to have benefit? Otherwise its worthless?
  • edited October 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    Nope, I just think solid views are always worth questioning.

Do you think they are totally not teaching dharma? The dharma has to be taught in it's pure complete form for it to have benefit? Otherwise its worthless?
    What he is teaching may be worthwhile if it helps people, but its certainly not Buddhist dharma.
  • edited October 2009
    What he is teaching may be worthwhile if it helps people, but its certainly not Buddhist dharma.

If you think Buddhist dharma is the only way to the end of suffering then it is. If it matters if its buddhist dharma then it matters, if the end of suffering matters then thats what matters. I see this as a different bow aiming in the same direction. Just like when buddha was alive, the path didn't need a name.
  • edited October 2009
    Well, isnt this the "Buddhism for Advanced Practitioners" sub-forum?
    And yes, i do think that authentic Buddhist dharma is he only way to completely end suffering.
    The only thing I think Mr. Tolle is bowing toward is $$$.
  • edited October 2009
    And yes, i do think that authentic Buddhist dharma is he only way to completely end suffering.

Do you spend much time questioning your own judgement?
  • edited October 2009
    Yes.
    its not judgment, its an opinion from a Buddhist who actually accepts what his tradition teaches.
  • edited October 2009
    Is it important for you to know?
  • edited October 2009
    Is it important for you to know?
    is what important?
  • edited October 2009
    The question wasn't esoteric or cryptic. Is it important for you to know?
  • edited October 2009
    The question wasn't esoteric or cryptic. Is it important for you to know?
    since the question doesnt specify an object its quite cryptic.
  • edited October 2009
    Judgement is only necessary when you want to decide that you know this or that to be true.

Glad to see you edit your posts with my questions. It means your reconsidering. I've never listened to nor known anything about eckhart tolle before this, so i could give a toss either way. But sticking to an idea with solidity and pure self confidence that you can't be wrong is not a the greatest place to be.
  • edited October 2009
    Yes.
    its not judgment, its an opinion

To refer to your edit. All opinion is judgement.
  • edited October 2009
    it's a relief to know someone else thinks Eckhart Tolle spouts meaningless drivel. I've listened to this video before and thought it wasted my time. I listened again just to make sure. Yep. Waste of time.It definitely has a sort of Buddhist flavor, though
  • edited October 2009
    MrsCogan wrote: »
    it's a relief to know someone else thinks Eckhart Tolle spouts meaningless drivel. I've listened to this video before and thought it wasted my time. I listened again just to make sure. Yep. Waste of time.

If this triggers an interest in finding or following the path to the cessation of suffering then its worth is immeasurable. IMO.
  • edited October 2009
    Judgement is only necessary when you want to decide that you know this or that to be true.

Glad to see you edit your posts with my questions. It means your reconsidering. I've never listened to nor known anything about eckhart tolle before this, so i could give a toss either way. But sticking to an idea with solidity and pure self confidence that you can't be wrong is not a the greatest place to be.
    i havent reconsidered anything.
    and no, its not judgment in this context. we are afterall in a Buddhist forum and all Buddhist schools clearly assert the superiority of the Buddha Dharma. In no way is my stated agreement with this standpoint extreme or inappropriate.
  • edited October 2009
    Shenpen, relax, I don't care anymore.

Much metta to you.
  • edited October 2009
    I believe the Buddha himself once said:

"Whatever is well-spoken is the word of the Buddha"

Therefore, Eckhart Tolle is spreading the dharma.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Tolle teaches, among other things, how self-cherishing leads to suffering. I'm not all that familiar with his teachings but my sister certainly is and if it weren't for Tolle we would never be able to engage in discussions about not-self. She would either be resistant to the subject or she simply wouldn't understand its importance.

I think Tolle provides a much needed stepping stone toward a different spiritual understanding for those Westerners questioning the creator god religions they were born into.

If Tolle is pointing to reality, than he is indeed teaching dhamma, isn't he?
  • edited October 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    I believe the Buddha himself once said:

"Whatever is well-spoken is the word of the Buddha"

Therefore, Eckhart Tolle is spreading the dharma.

I guess what is "well-spoken" is a matter of opinion.
    Also, If this is actually a quote that is attributed to the Buddha I would be curious to know where it comes from and what the context is.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2009
    In his book "A new Earth", he talks about relating to thoughts and feelings (ie bodymind) as objects of simple awareness, but he is Non-Buddhist in that he reifies a transcendent witness. Once again, in his book, here is someone interpreting Anatta as a negation of an individual self that affirms a Cosmic Self. That isn't just a technicality.

I was invited to an Eckart Tolle "Meet-up" and found people generally new contemplative practice. There was some confusion, that can't really be blamed on Tolle. They were all trying very hard to surpress their thoughts , and some were successful in forcing a blank-faced state that they called "emptiness". It was unfortunate. They also seemed to think his teachings were novel, and regarded him as a kind of Messiah.

Still, I dont think he is a fraud, and it is good to have someone talking about awareness of body and mind to an audience that would never entertain such a possibility.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Eckhart Tolle may not be teaching the Buddha Dharma but at least his is pointing in the general direction.

:)
  • edited October 2009
    I guess what is "well-spoken" is a matter of opinion.
    Also, If this is actually a quote that is attributed to the Buddha I would be curious to know where it comes from and what the context is.
    "According to Buddhist tradition, questions regarding doctrinal authenticity first arose during the lifetime of the historical Buddha (c. fifth century <small>B.C.E.</small>). When asked how his followers should distinguish the true "word of the Buddha" (buddha-vacana) from false teachings, he is reported to have said, "whatever is well spoken is the word of the Buddha." Later commentators understood this to mean that if a doctrine or practice accords with the Buddhist goals of liberation from cyclic existence (samsara) and the alleviation of suffering (dukkha), and if it is concordant with the core doctrines of Buddhism, then it can be adopted and practiced by Buddhists, regardless of who originally taught it.
  • edited October 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    "According to Buddhist tradition, questions regarding doctrinal authenticity first arose during the lifetime of the historical Buddha (c. fifth century <small>B.C.E.</small>). When asked how his followers should distinguish the true "word of the Buddha" (buddha-vacana) from false teachings, he is reported to have said, "whatever is well spoken is the word of the Buddha." Later commentators understood this to mean that if a doctrine or practice accords with the Buddhist goals of liberation from cyclic existence (samsara) and the alleviation of suffering (dukkha), and if it is concordant with the core doctrines of Buddhism, then it can be adopted and practiced by Buddhists, regardless of who originally taught it.
    i dont think Tolle does this.
    i am not saying that what he is talking about is bad or that it doesnt help people but i dont think that he is providing methods for liberation from samsara.
  • edited October 2009
    Emptiness and no-self is only the beginning, not the end, of dharma.
  • edited October 2009
    Very well said.

In sum, I really feel that Eckhart Tolle can help our world, not hinder it.
    edited October 2009
    True. But would you agree that it is a key distinguishing sign of the Buddha's Dharma? Recognizing the extremes of Eternalism and Nihilism are a skillful means unique to Buddhism.

Tashi..... have we crossed paths before?
  • edited October 2009
    i dont think Tolle does this.
    i am not saying that what he is talking about is bad or that it doesnt help people but i dont think that he is providing methods for liberation from samsara.

It's a stepping stone. As are most things.

"Because not everyone has the same inclinations and interests, Buddha taught various methods to different people. Citing this example, His Holiness the DalaiLamahas said that it is wonderful that so many different religions exist in the world. Just as one food will not appeal to everybody, one religion or one set of beliefs will not satisfy everyone's needs. Therefore, it is extremely beneficial that a variety of different religions is available from which to choose. He welcomes and rejoices at this."
  • edited October 2009
    Somnilocus wrote: »
    It's a stepping stone. As are most things.

and thats fine. but you still cant call Tolle a dharma teacher because he most certainly is not.
  • edited October 2009
    and thats fine. but you still cant call Tolle a dharma teacher because he most certainly is not.

"This term has no sectarian connotations but simply means "Path of Awakening" and thus conforms to a universal understanding of dharma. "Dharma" is sometimes taken to denote the sayings of the Buddha and his early disciples (e.g. the Vinaya and Sutta Pitaka of the Pali Canon), or more broadly to include the later traditions of interpretation and addition that the various schools of Buddhism have developed to help explain and expand upon the Buddha's teachings. In later tradition, this was seen as the 84,000 different teachings (the Kangyur/bka.'gyur) that the Buddha gave to various types of people based on their needs."

There are many paths to Awakening. What is "teachings of Dharma" for me may not be for you and vice versa. No one said he is a teacher of the Dharma as in, he is teaching "authentic Buddhist scripture" or anything of the like. But teachings of the Dharma are also found outside Buddhism in infinite forms. You may glimpse Enlightenment, observe the Dharma, when sitting on the toilet, quite frankly. The Dharma is the Truth because it is Universal Law and yet the Buddha understood that this Truth could be seen in an infinite number of ways even within Buddhism itself.
  • edited October 2009
    "This term has no sectarian connotations but simply means "Path of Awakening" and thus conforms to a universal understanding of dharma. "Dharma" is sometimes taken to denote the sayings of the Buddha and his early disciples (e.g. the Vinaya and Sutta Pitaka of the Pali Canon), or more broadly to include the later traditions of interpretation and addition that the various schools of Buddhism have developed to help explain and expand upon the Buddha's teachings. In later tradition, this was seen as the 84,000 different teachings (the Kangyur/bka.'gyur) that the Buddha gave to various types of people based on their needs."

There are many paths to Awakening. What is "teachings of Dharma" for me may not be for you and vice versa. No one said he is a teacher of the Dharma as in, he is teaching "authentic Buddhist scripture" or anything of the like. But teachings of the Dharma are also found outside Buddhism in infinite forms. You may glimpse Enlightenment, observe the Dharma, when sitting on the toilet, quite frankly. The Dharma is the Truth because it is Universal Law and yet the Buddha understood that this Truth could be seen in an infinite number of ways even within Buddhism itself.
    in order for him to be teaching Buddhist dharma he must accept the 4 seals completely and take refuge in the 3 jewels.
    he does neither of these and is therefore not a Buddhist and not a teacher of Buddhist dharma.
    not to mention that the things he speaks on that are similar to Buddhist teachings are deluded and incomplete.
    This person is not a Buddhist.
  • edited October 2009
    in order for him to be teaching Buddhist dharma he must accept the 4 seals completely and take refuge in the 3 jewels.
    he does neither of these and is therefore not a Buddhist and not a teacher of Buddhist dharma.
    not to mention that the things he speaks on that are similar to Buddhist teachings are deluded and incomplete.
    This person is not a Buddhist.

I agree. It's like someone took a dharma talk, broke it into pieces and then glued it back together with superstitious nonsense and vague, fuzzy blather. It MIGHT lead someone to the truth, but it would be like trying to get somewhere following a map on which only half of the road markings are correct.
  • edited October 2009
    I think you're missing the point.

The point is that no, he is not a Buddhist. That's kind of the beauty of it. Is it perfect? No. Would Buddhist scriptures and practices necessarily be the perfect way to introduce someone to the Dharma either? No.

In an indirect way, without any Buddhist references, and quite possibly entirely unintentionally, he has INTRODUCED people to the Dharma without them having a clue. Take that for what it is. The Dharma also refers to the Universal Truth, not just via Buddhism. There is more than one use of the word. Take the bits of wisdom wherever you find them and ignore the parts that don't make sense to you.

Again, no one has said that he is a Buddhist teacher teaching Buddhist doctrine.
    I agree. It's like someone took a dharma talk, broke it into pieces and then glued it back together with superstitious nonsense and vague, fuzzy blather. It MIGHT lead someone to the truth, but it would be like trying to get somewhere following a map on which only half of the road markings are correct.

No one thing will lead a person to the Truth. It is us to each individual to question all teachings and take the gems of wisdoms while leaving the nonsense alone. This is true even within a formal Sangha. Everything is the Dharma through the right perception.
  • edited October 2009
    MrsCogan wrote: »
    this is exactly it.
    Mr. Tolle seems like he read a book on Dzogchen or Mahamudra, didnt have a teacher so he grossly misinterpreted what he read and thought he had realized something.
    Now he is presenting what he misunderstood as though it were his own discovery.
  • edited October 2009
    I think you're missing the point.

The point is that no, he is not a Buddhist. That's kind of the beauty of it. Is it perfect? No. Would Buddhist scriptures and practices necessarily be the perfect way to introduce someone to the Dharma either? No.

In an indirect way, without any Buddhist references, and quite possibly entirely unintentionally, he has INTRODUCED people to the Dharma without them having a clue. Take that for what it is. The Dharma also refers to the Universal Truth, not just via Buddhism. There is more than one use of the word. Take the bits of wisdom wherever you find them and ignore the parts that don't make sense to you.

Again, no one has said that he is a Buddhist teacher teaching Buddhist doctrine.

No one thing will lead a person to the Truth. It is us to each individual to question all teachings and take the gems of wisdoms while leaving the nonsense alone. This is true even within a formal Sangha. Everything is the Dharma through the right perception.
    the title of this thread questions directly whether or not the posted video is dharma, and since this is the Buddhist forum for experienced practitioners it would make sense that the debate would be about how Tolle does not teach Buddhist dharma.
  • edited October 2009
    If you think the question Pegembara was asking was if Tolle was an authentic Buddhist teacher who had taken Refuge in the Three Jewels and was teaching authentic Buddhist doctrine according to the scriptures and formal teachings then I think you misunderstood.

Pegembara even said: "Eckhart Tolle may not be teaching the Buddha Dharma but at least his is pointing in the general direction."
  • edited October 2009
    It's amazing to me how often Buddhists whine and complain about those nasty, fundamentalist Christians - while clinging to their own literalist, exclusivist dogmas.
  • edited October 2009
    It's amazing to me how often Buddhists whine and complain about those nasty, fundamentalist Christians - while clinging to their own literalist, exclusivist dogmas.
    discussing what is and is not authentic transmission of Buddhist Dharma and citing reasons to support viewpoints doesnt seem to be clinging to literalist or exclisivist dogma's.
  • edited October 2009
    "Authentic" - well at least we have that.

:poke:
  • edited October 2009
    "Authentic" - well at least we have that.

:poke:
    thats debatable.
    edited October 2009
    In his books he specifically says he is not Buddhist, and does not claim to represent any lineage, so the question of whether he is a Buddhist teacher or not is moot. His teachings are of a general new-age kind, but at the healthier end of that spectrum.
  • edited October 2009
    Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now is what led me to the dharma. I didn't care for A New Earth much, and I moved on to authors like Thich Nhat Hanh and DT Suzuki, but I still consider Eckhart Tolle my introduction to Zen. One needn't be a card-carrying Buddhist to be awake.

I would like to ask those of you who take issue with his teachings to please be so kind as to point us to the specific things that you find troubling. In other words, please point out the contradictions. I think it would make for an interesting discussion. I'm especially curious about whether his teachings clash more with some traditions than with others.
    edited October 2009
    Lyssa wrote: »
    Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now is what led me to the dharma. I didn't care for A New Earth much, and I moved on to authors like Thich Nhat Hanh and DT Suzuki, but I still consider Eckhart Tolle my introduction to Zen. One needn't be a card-carrying Buddhist to be awake.

I would like to ask those of you who take issue with his teachings to please be so kind as to point us to the specific things that you find troubling. In other words, please point out the contradictions. I think it would make for an interesting discussion. I'm especially curious about whether his teachings clash more with some traditions than with others.
    I for one dont have a problem with Tolle. But making the real distinction between his teaching which (especially in "the power of now") is classic Theosophy in the tradition of Blavatsky, Besant, and Bailey. and The Eightfold Path, is reasonable.
  • edited October 2009
    I for one dont have a problem with Tolle. But making the real distinction between his teaching which (especially in "the power of now") is classic Theosophy in the tradition of Blavatsky, Besant, and Bailey. and The Eightfold Path, is reasonable.

I couldn't disagree more with the characterization of TPON as "classic" Theosophy, as it doesn't contain any metaphysics. It's simply treatise on mindfulness practice.

Of course it's reasonable to make a distinction, but as yet no one here has actually done so. How does Tolle contradict Buddhist teachings?
    edited October 2009
    First of all I dont have a problem with Theosophy. It was Theosophist who, it is said, saved Buddhisms bacon in Ceylon (another interesting debate).
    We'll just have to disagree on the characterization of Tolle as Theosophy or its modern offspring New Age. What makes him Technically not Buddhist is ..that fact that he says he is not a Buddhist. Does he contradict Buddhist teachings? In mant ways no, but in a couple of crucial ways yes. And if you are seriously entering Zen discipline you will figure it out eventually.

He seems like a great guy. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Does he contradict Buddhist teachings? In mant ways no, but in a couple of crucial ways yes.

Would you mind terribly articulating the "crucial ways"? Thanks in advance.