Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism, denial and common sense

NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I haven't been around buddhism much but I have seen a few things that appalled me a little.

In general, I feel that Buddhism is very different than other religions, but Buddhists aren't. You end up coming by posts that absolutely defy common sense, such as if you are hurt by other people's words its your fault, or the Buddhist way to deny basic medical care to children, or stories about monks with BMWs and married women or whatever.

That is just how that type of intolerant religious sense of self-importance happens. You justify your own inner desires by coating it in religion and claiming it as truth, but in fact you are just using a religious discourse to justify a behavior that is otherwise absurd. Your words become the words of Buddha. The funny thing is that sometimes people don't notice that. (Guess its just the ego playing tricks)

People get all sorts of facts about Buddhism, and the way they are passed on SOMETIMES is quite, with all the respect, misleading.

"Is this black or white? Both"
"Is this good or bad? Neither"
"Are you telling me the truth? Oh the truth is just a relative way of thinking, in absolute terms there is nothing to be called the truth or yadda yadda yadda"

That sort of discourse might have its place, but it doesn't apply to EVERYTHING. It leaves room for one to say that all interpretations of a given statement are true, or none, or some...

Sometimes facts are just facts. Embellishing them too much just ends up obscuring the practical side of things and generating more illusion.

How do you people feel about that?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I gave up being concerned with what other Buddhists do or don't do.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »

Word.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Why are you being so aggressive? That was uncalled for.
  • edited October 2009
    Why are you always so aggressive? That was uncalled for.

I don't think they are being aggressive so much as pointing out that you should become less concerned with what others are doing and focus on yourself. :)

Namaste
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I don't think they are being aggressive so much as pointing out that you should become less concerned with what others are doing and focus on yourself. :)

I didn't mean to be pointing out the flaws in other people. I perhaps didn't explain well what I meant. I was just trying to point out that there should be a balance between Buddhism and common sense, and that the Buddhist discourse is not aways used in a productive way, but rather as justification for certain actions.

It was something I was pondering considering my own experience, because I was giving too much credit to something I shouldn't, and if it came out wrong I apologize.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    You and I must have read different tones into his statement; I found his comment insightful, not incite-ful ;)
  • edited October 2009
    I didn't mean to be pointing out the flaws in other people. I perhaps didn't explain well what I meant. I was just trying to point out that there should be a balance between Buddhism and common sense, and that the Buddhist discourse is not aways used in a productive way, but rather as justification for certain actions.

It was something I was pondering considering my own experience, because I was giving too much credit to something I shouldn't, and if it came out wrong I apologize.
    It's cool; no farm no foul, just trying to maintain the harmony. :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    You end up coming by posts that absolutely defy common sense, such as if you are hurt by other people's words its your fault, or the Buddhist way to deny basic medical care to children, or stories about monks with BMWs and married women or whatever.
    Hi Nameless

Being hurt by other people's words, it generally is one's fault. Buddhism teaches not to attribute blame to others but rather to examine one's own ignorance or mental reactivity. This is the way to be free from suffering.

Monks should not drive BMWs. Even if they need a car for their pastoral duties, monks must be an example of austerity and being easy to support. In brief, monks must demonstrate we can find the deepest & best happiness free from material things and sensuality.
    That is just how that type of intolerant religious sense of self-importance happens. You justify your own inner desires by coating it in religion and claiming it as truth, but in fact you are just using a religious discourse to justify a behavior that is otherwise absurd. Your words become the words of Buddha. The funny thing is that sometimes people don't notice that. (Guess its just the ego playing tricks)
    Views and the ego are not one and the same. For example, if a sick person asks me: "Do you know where a good hospital is?", my answer to the sick person is not an ego playing trick. Being dumb & mute is not enlightenment.
    Sometimes facts are just facts. Embellishing them too much just ends up obscuring the practical side of things and generating more illusion.
    The "nameless" is also illusion and delusion. Enlightened beings understand both names and the nameless are empty and illusory but also useful practical conventions. The 'nameless' is not reality.
    I feel little about it. My mind feels dispassionately equanimous. However, my opinion or thought is posted above. Thought is a mental function, just like chewing is a physical function. Thought & views per se are unrelated to ego.

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009

Now above is what is called 'ego playing tricks'.

Relax friend. Be at ease.

Your original post has its merits and is worthy of a discussion topic.

Just go with the flow.

:cool:
  • edited October 2009
    I
    In general, I feel that Buddhism is very different than other religions, but Buddhists aren't. You end up coming by posts that absolutely defy common sense, such as if you are hurt by other people's words its your fault, or the Buddhist way to deny basic medical care to children, or stories about monks with BMWs and married women or whatever.

Buddhism is very fashionable and sexy. Lots of people call themselves Buddhist who really aren't.

The truth is, people are people whatever they call themselves. The biggest criticism of religion is that it's supposed to make people better and it doesn't. The argument goes that without religion people would just kill each other and run wild in the streets or something. But that is clearly not true. Religious people are still people. They light incense, prostrate themselves, meditate and recite the sutras (or the Bible or the Koran) and they are still ignorant, deluded and petty. The only thing you can do about it is write it down, file it away and move on.

The Buddha said that what other people do and don't do simply isn't important. It's what I do and don't do that that should be my focus.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2009

"In the practice of Buddhism, you must find your own path. It is up to you to search for and discover the way to transcend suffering. The correct way is to look inside yourself. The path lies within the hearts and minds of each of us."

"People suffer because they grasp and don't let go. They harbor ill will and won't let go. Suffering follows them everywhere. So you must examine yourself and learn how to let go"
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    That is just how that type of intolerant religious sense of self-importance happens. You justify your own inner desires by coating it in religion and claiming it as truth, but in fact you are just using a religious discourse to justify a behavior that is otherwise absurd.

If there is a procedure for determining the truth, you should use it. But don't be too surprised when different people come to different conclusions. After all, Buddhism soon split into eighteen different schools after Buddha's death.

I feel you should practice meditation more and spend less times thinking about other people's opinions. Good advice for everyone, I believe.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I haven't been around buddhism much but I have seen a few things that appalled me a little.

People get all sorts of facts about Buddhism, and the way they are passed on SOMETIMES is quite, with all the respect, misleading.

"Is this black or white? Both"
    "Is this good or bad? Neither"
    "Are you telling me the truth? Oh the truth is just a relative way of thinking, in absolute terms there is nothing to be called the truth or yadda yadda yadda"

That sort of discourse might have its place, but it doesn't apply to EVERYTHING. It leaves room for one to say that all interpretations of a given statement are true, or none, or some...

I wouldn't disagree but if you look around at the world, it's all a microcosm of what the Buddha already taught and pointed at -- Truth/Liberation/Freedom

If the world operates as it does, what now? What then for you?

What matters is how you live your life, how you actualise what may or may not be true.

We are all more than capable of identifying issues in this world, or with other people, but how many of us will clarify the root of existence and suffering itself.

"It's not what others do or do not do that is my concern, it's what I do or do not do that is my concern"

As Jinzang said, meditation is a very fine practice, if one is so inclined to truth.

Best wishes, and good tidings.

Abu
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    In general, I feel that Buddhism is very different than other religions, but Buddhists aren't.
    Generally speaking, Buddhists are pretty ordinary.
  • edited October 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Generally speaking, Buddhists are pretty ordinary.

Yep. I'm pretty boring. Just ask me. :)

~nomad