Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhism with agonistic afterlife beliefs?

yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I think that's what I am. I accept the Buddhist moral ideals (at least more or less accept them to the best of my abilities), I'm a vegetarian, I practice yoga and meditation (a bit). However. I used to be a believer in an afterlife of a kind and the Buddhist one made the most sense to me, however now I more and more begin to realize that this desire to live on is just a "group trance" where people simply delude themselves. Till reincarnation becomes scientifically proven and generally accepted by the scientific community I'll treat it as 50/50. If I die and get reborn or freed then splendid, if I die and nothing happens I won't care.

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Well since you shared your view I will share mine.

I honestly don't ponder much about rebirth or even the whole cosmology. I firmly believe that the Buddha meant those concepts as a reality tough, but I just can't get myself to put too much faith in it.

I guess in my case I am just a bit jaded. I used to be very catholic, but after a few people close to me and also very religious had a terrible end my faith in things beyond this world/life just died with them.

Maybe, if I might digress, in my case I am just too hurt to put my faith in anything. Your post actually make me see that and gave me something to reflect upon, because I don't think I can follow the Dharma very far if I am just justifying my skepticism and denying what I feel.
  • edited October 2009
    I share similar feelings, yuriythebest. I don't dwell on it too much, but academically speaking, I have enjoyed studying karma and samara and the phenomenon of rebirth. But to be honest, when I am dead, I will simply be dead. That's all there is to it... :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    In this life, we will inevitably come to what is called 'death'. If we can find peace with that, all will be well.

:)