Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

yo, something that bothered me..

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Yo i was at my friends place ok?
and something came up like " oh you'll kill him"

and I said " no I cant i'm a buddhist"
and my friend said to me, like "are you serious about this buddhism shit?"
and I was like yeah , and he said to me, " you aren't a buddist" cause I had a beer in my hand and he was like "look at you" like with DISGUST at me...like i was a loser, joining a fad, you know......then he proceeded to say like "oh you think you are going to reincarnated as a fly or a dog in the next life" and I tried to explain to him it's not exactly like that, its rebirth not reincarnation.. he's like the guy that believes buddha is a indian GOD and stuff, and we are all into triple headed elephants, and gold indian shit, whatever...

anyway it really bothered me... because he was right, I had to tell him " you know man, since im drinking ur right, i'm not being a good buddhist..."
but i didnt have the oppurtunity to correct him about his misconceptions, he really made me feel like a loser...

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    anyway it really bothered me... because he was right, I had to tell him " you know man, since im drinking ur right, i'm not being a good buddhist..."
    but i didnt have the oppurtunity to correct him about his misconceptions, he really made me feel like a loser...
    Does that make him your accomplice?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Yo i was at my friends place ok?
    and something came up like " oh you'll kill him"

and I said " no I cant i'm a buddhist"
    (. . .)

I know plenty of Buddhists who drink, smoke, have sex regularly, swat flies and occasionally, have even been known to tell the odd occasional lie.

There re no obligations in Buddhism, other than those you put upon yourself.
    if you want a drink, have a drink.
    Just don't be stupid about it, and let yourself get brain-addled as you do.

people will always mock what they fail to understand, or even fear a little.
    Your buddy sees you shifting gear, and is hostile towards your chosen path.
    That's resistance to change.
    we mock what we do not comprehend.
    He was mocking because he didn't get it. And no amount of reasoning, there and then, would have dissuaded him, either, so don't worry.

It's a stronger thing to go against the current.
    Don't be led by others.
    Let what you know for sure, and find of comfort in, lead you.
    With a clear head.
    But the odd occasional beer is ok. ;)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Far less Buddhist than having a beer is thinking badly of yourself because of it.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Dear TheFound

Have faith in the path you have chosen, take your time, respect yourself.

Then things will fall into place of themself.

There is no need to share your religious views or inclinations with others as well if there is no real need.

Best wishes,

Bo
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    you know man, since im drinking ur right, i'm not being a good buddhist...
    Buddhist practice leads to the end of such being, anyway. Don't sweat it.
  • edited October 2009
    Are your friends helping you or hindering you on your path?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Strictly speaking, they should neither be helping nor hindering...They 'should' be 'teaching'.
    Or to be more specific, our good friends are a support and comfort.

Our 'bad' friends can be our greatest teachers, keeping us Mindful in moments with them, which could be viewed as a challenge and lesson in Skilful living.....

maybe..... :)
  • edited October 2009
    since im drinking ur right, i'm not being a good buddhist..."
    Please don't get upset, ive had the same problems. The feeling will pass.
    We can't live exactly how were 'supposed to'. Its impossible, ive tried.
    A beer won't make you a bad person. Drinking ten beers and beating up your wife will. eg. Its about balance, common sense.
    Friends sometimes just dont understand us.
    Be strong, your friend will get used to it ;)