Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gave up smoking! 30 hours in! w00t!

edited October 2009 in General Banter
Feeling a lot better for it too! My sleep pattern is really messed up though. I keep waking up at 3am-ish confused and panicing... :(

Gonna switch to Metta practice for a while (as suggested by RenGalskap :))

See if that helps!

Any advice to share? :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    yes.
    Breathe.
    Deeply.
    Then exhale, forcefully.

feel how good that is......!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    I keep waking up at 3am-ish confused and panicing... :(
    That used to happen to me a lot. It's a super time to meditate.
    Gonna switch to Metta practice for a while (as suggested by RenGalskap :))
    Excellent idea. That is the classic recommendation for panic.
    Any advice to share? :)
    69.a. The master and all the monks were out hoeing. When the
    master saw Obaku approach, he stopped working and propped himself up on his hoe. Obaku said: "Would this fellow be tired?" The master replied: "I have as yet not even lifted my hoe. Why should I be tired?" Obaku hit him. The master grabbed the stick, gave Obaku a good blow and knocked him over. Obaku called the superintendent to help him up. The superintendent, doing so, remonstrated: "Venerable, how can you permit the impudence of this madman?" Obaku was hardly on his feet when he hit the superintendent. The master, having started to hoe, remarked: "Cremation is the custom everywhere, but here, I bury alive with a single stroke!"
    b. Later, Issan asked Gyosan: "What is the meaning of Obaku's
    beating the superintendent?" Gyosan said: "The real robber ran off; the pursuer got the stick."
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Cremation is the custom everywhere, but here, I bury alive with a single stroke.
    Took me a while. :-)

Keep an eye on Renzai. When that trouble maker isn't hoeing weeds, he's planting weeds.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Aren't we all...
  • edited October 2009
    Whenever someone makes a thread like this, I like posting this info:

What happens if you quit smoking right now

• In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
    • In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
    • In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
    • In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
    • In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
    • In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
    • In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
    • In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    • In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
    • In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.