Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do I have a self?

2»

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The revelation is that there is no self. And the paradox is that that is perfectly ok, because , contrary to popular belief, experience does not require an experiencer. In fact, it's important to realize that this can not, actually, be true. ;)
    Just dropped in to undo the notifications....like this thread. But I have to say Thought on Thought, your talking with quite a few people for whom this is merely one interpretation of the Dharma. ....Yes I know go figure. have fun.
  • edited November 2009
    Just dropped in to undo the notifications....like this thread. But I have to say Thought on Thought, your talking with quite a few people for whom this is merely one interpretation of the Dharma. ....Yes I know go figure. have fun.

Yes, I am. It is enough to just know that I am doing so. But, if you have an "interpretation" of the dhamma, you're not really following the dhamma at all. ;)
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited November 2009
    In the Pali Nikayas it is pretty evident that self or attâ is not the issue but, instead, not identifying with them nasty ole khandhas (aggregates). Here is what I mean.

'But monks, an instructed disciple [ariya-savako] of the pure ones...regards material shape as: ‘This is not mine, this am I not, this is not my self;’ he regards feeling as: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self;’ he regards perception as: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self;’ he regards the habitual tendencies as: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self;’ he regards consciousness as: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’ And also he regards whatever is see, heard, sensed, cognised, reached, looked for, pondered by the mind as: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self’ (M.i.136).

I hasten to add there in not a single passage in the entire Pali Nikayas where the Buddha praises the five aggregates (khandhas). He equates them, in some places, with Mara the Killer (S.iii.189)

BL