Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism about death of loved ones

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,
it is my first post in here.
My grandmother is dying.I live abroad and cant be near, but my mother quit her job and already for 2 years is near her bed. Oh, thjis situation is so hard, I dont know where to start.
My grandmum is old and she was ill all her life, now one by one all internal organs stopping to work. She is in pain all the time, her mind is not clear, she sees things, she does not recognize my mum. Basically she is torturing my mum who devoted all her time and energy caring about grandma. My mum started to have problems with her heart from stress...I dont know how to react: from one side I truly love my grandma, but I feel in my undermind I am just waiting her to die and for us all to have normal stress free life..I feel so guilty about that. I know that buddhist have different perception of death, please hellp me to incorporate it into my life..

Comments

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Although there are many more learned people who I am sure will help you on this path, I thought I would offer what I could.

It seems you are feeling shame because of the guilt that is present in your accepting of the inevitable. You have come to understand your grandmother is going to die, but it is difficult for you to see death as the gift it really is. A gift not only for your grandmother in these circumstances, but for all of us, even the healthy.

One way I have been able to think about death and come to acceptance, is to look at it as a choice. If given the choice between having your grandmother in your life and experience this pain, or not knowing your grandmother ever, and not experiencing the pain and guilt of her loss, what would you choose?

If you can accept and welcome the suffering that both you and your grandmother is experiencing, and dedicate it in honor of your grandmother, it will give you a powerful way of finding solace at a very difficult time.

I offer this in that same spirit. I dedicate it to your grandmother knowing she is about to reach a threshold.

I am sure there will be much more capable support for you here.

Namaste
  • edited October 2009
    thank you for your compassion. It is true, I still did not reach that level when I can accept inevitable death as a gift or at least as normal part of life circle. It is so hard!
    edited October 2009
    Although not Buddhist, a couple on Youtube who demonstrate amazing acceptance is the family of Elliot, a little boy who lives for 99 days. The title is 99 balloons. Look in Google under Youtube Videos That made you cry. If you watch it, it does carry an important message. One I think you will find helpful.

Namaste
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I dont know how to react: from one side I truly love my grandma, but I feel in my undermind I am just waiting her to die and for us all to have normal stress free life..
    What you want is that this situation wasn't happening. It's not that you are wishing your grandmother dies, you just wanna get past this bad moment. There is no reason to feel guilt about that. MANY people feel the same way in that situation.
  • edited October 2009
    Just watched 99 balloons. OMG, these people are amazing. Pictures of mother all smiling and happy touched me so much. I wish I could be so strong like her
    edited October 2009
    amalis wrote: »
    Just watched 99 balloons. OMG, these people are amazing. Pictures of mother all smiling and happy touched me so much. I wish I could be so strong like her

You can be.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Amalis,

I don't think anyone intentionally intends to cause suffering to others when they are dying.

It is at this time in the future, more than any other, that we too will be at our most vunerable and afraid.

Generating positive thoughts of loving kindness to those less fortunate than us is always beneficial for self and others.

I hope your grandmother dies peacefully without too much pain and distress.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    dear Amalis

Your thoughts are natural and your concerns about your mother valid. Your mother herself is not coping and she is becoming sick. This is not good.

The truth is dying loved ones place great stress upon care givers and the dying people themselves are suffering so much pain. This is why the Buddha said death is dukkha.

Dukkha means 'difficult to bear'. When human beings are not well practised in Buddhism, death is difficult to bear. However, when human beings are well practised in Buddhism and have wisdom, death is easier to bear.

Regarding your feelings of guilt, these are not necessary because inevitable death is a relief and rest, for both the dying and the care givers.

Even the Buddha himself when he was dying experience great physical pain and sought relief from the debilitating pain. The Buddha's disciples asked him to live longer because the Buddha had special mental powers and could have maintained his life longer if he decided. Instead, as the Buddha had taught everything necessary, he decided to relinquish his life and let his body die a natural death. The Buddha said:
    "Now I am frail, Ananda, old, aged, far gone in years. This is my eightieth year and my life is spent. Even as an old cart, Ananda, is held together with much difficulty, so the body of the Tathagata is kept going only with supports. It is, Ananda, only when the Tathagata, disregarding external objects, with the cessation of certain feelings, attains to and abides in the signless concentration of mind, that his body is more comfortable.

Maha-parinibbana Sutta
    The Buddha said here, only when his mind was plunged into deep meditation, he had comfort. However, for him to live in deep meditation had no purpose because he was a teacher.

So Buddhism has different practices regarding death, dependent on what one decides to choose.

Some Buddhists believe in rebirth and practise here involved making wishes, offering and dedications so the dying can have a favourable rebirth. One prays and wishes and gives gifts wishing: "May grandmother have a pleasant & lovely rebirth".

Other Buddhists believe in impermanence, that it is the nature of all things to arise and pass; that it cannot be any other way. The scriptures say:
    "Enough, friends! Has not the Blessed One declared with all that is dear and beloved there must be change, separation and severance? Of that which is born, come into being, compounded and subject to decay, how can one say: 'May it not come to dissolution!'? Impermanent are all compounded things. How could this be otherwise?'"

Maha-parinibbana Sutta
    So to end, I can see you truely love your grandma. This I do not doubt. It is not necessary for you to be guilty because you wish for your grandma, your mother and your family to have some peace from the very difficult & anguishing suffering.

The first step is to acknowledge with wisdom the dying process is difficult to bear or dukkha. The second step is learning to make peace & acceptance with the dying process by either believing there is rebirth or by simply understanding death inevitably comes to all things.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • edited October 2009
    Thank you all for paying attention to my thread. I feel a bit calmer now because you helped me to understand these feeling of guilt. All I want is just normal life for my mother again. She is alone there, 24/7 with someone who is angry , in pain and not even recognizing her..
    I do believe in rebirth, but she does not. My grandma does not believe in any god ,hence not having any comfort now.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    She is alone there, 24/7 with someone who is angry , in pain and not even recognizing her..
    My mom died of Alzheimer's. She also had osteoporosis, and we think she was in pain from collapsed vertebrae. It was difficult to do anything about the pain because she couldn't tell us where it hurt or how much it hurt. My dad took care of her at home because he felt he could do a better job than a nursing home. That made it difficult for him to get physical exercise, and left him socially isolated. We kids did as much as we could, but we could only take a small part of the burden from him. When Mom got angry, she didn't know why she was angry, but she knew she was angry and she usually figured it was Dad's fault.
    My grandma does not believe in any god ,hence not having any comfort now.
    Mom was a Christian, but I don't think it gave her much comfort at the end. Her mind wasn't working well enough to turn to God for help.

I really just wanted to let you know that I've been in a situation similar to yours, and I know how you feel.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Dear Amalis

In Buddhism ageing, sickness, disabilities and loss
    are not seen as things to fear and despise, but as
    devadutas or ‘heavenly messengers’. This word
    devaduta is a Pàli word; duta means a messenger of
    some sort, deva is ‘angelic’ or ‘heavenly’; so they’re
    heavenly messengers sent to warn us. A Christian
    asked me once if we had angels in Buddhism. “We
    have angels in Christianity; all kinds of white and
    beautiful beings that play harps; they’re very radiant,
    light beings.” I replied, “Well, Buddhist angels are not
    that way. They’re old age, sickness and death!” The
    fourth devaduta is the samana (contemplative), the
    human being who is having the spiritual realisations.

But when I look at my own life, incredible challenges
    have come to me that have shaken me, have really
    upset me, disappointed me to the point where I have
    contemplated suicide — “I just want to get this over
    with. I don’t want to spend more and more years in
    this realm. I can’t take it.” But awakening to that, I
    realised that I’m quite willing to take what life presents
    and to learn from it.

Rather than fear sensitivity, really open to it: be fully
    sensitive rather than trying to protect yourself endlessly
    from possible pain or misfortune.

I encourage you to contemplate what birth into
    this world is, rather than to judge it according to any
    ideals or ideas that you might have. This is called the
    state of awakened awareness. To “wake up” means to
    know the world as it is; it’s not judging the world.
    If we
    have ideas about how the world should be, then the
    way it is often seen through our critical mind is “It
    shouldn’t be...”. (Ajahn Sumedho)

With Metta
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Although not Buddhist, a couple on Youtube who demonstrate amazing acceptance is the family of Elliot, a little boy who lives for 99 days. The title is 99 balloons. Look in Google under Youtube Videos That made you cry. If you watch it, it does carry an important message. One I think you will find helpful.

Namaste

They may not be "Buddhist", but they are more awakened to Reality(Dhamma) than many practising Buddhist.