Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking to Learn

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
So, I'm a bit new to all this, please forgive me everyone. I suppose I should start with a bit about me...

I was born and raised in America, my family is Cathloic and raised me that way. Around 14 I began to question my religion and faith, and realized that I didn't have any in Catholisim, so I stopped attending church. Since then I've been an Athiest/Agnostic, I believe there is some higher power unifying us all to each other, the earth, and the universe. If you wish to call this "God" then perhaps I'm an Agnostic, but I don't think it's some bearded man judging people in the sky.

Currently, I am living in Japan. I've taken many trips, sight-seeing, traveling, and so on. I've come across many Buddhist temples and have sat for many hours thinking about, well, nothing. Like those times where you check the clock, then check it again in what feels like a few minutes but two hours have passed and you don't know what you were thinking about or doing. The temples just, felt good to me, it's hard to explain and I likely sound silly.

Since then I've been reading a lot on Buddhism, but the problem is I don't know where to start. I know there are plenty of Temples in Japan, and if Buddhist monks are like any other people of faith I know they are likely willing to teach me... But my Japanese isn't good enough to have a deep discussion on faith and religion and practice.

So I suppose what I'm looking for is a starting point. I'm a highly analitical and logical person, I don't rush into anything and often times over-think rather than under-think. I want to learn about Buddhism before making any decisions, but I want to learn from the right sources. Random internet websites have taught me some, but I don't know how credible they are and what not.

Also, far more unlikely, but would anyone know of a place in Japan where I could learn that'd be a little English friendly? I'm willing to try too with the Japanese I know, but I'm not dillusional about my ablities.

I hope I don't seem too strange, I'm a bit new (obviously) to all this and I don't really know what I'm doing yet, so thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009
    "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" by Thich Nhat Hanh is a pretty good introduction. Don't forget to take a look at the Pali Canon itself. There's one website called Acess to Insight that has many translations of its suttas. You could perhaps read what is in one charpter of Thich's book and compare to what the Buddha himself supposedly said.

I guess these two make for an introduction. Avoid very paradoxical writings (most of Zen stuff) right at the beggining.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Try Mindfulness In Plain English. My own teacher's Buddhism in a Nutshell is a good, briefer place to start. The book those excerpts are from, Wake Up To Your Life, is also excellent (I've been working essentially entirely from that book for the last 8.5 years) but unfortunately it's not available online.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2009
    It may be helpful to mention that the goal of the Buddhist path is not to get an answer to questions such as "Why are we here" , "Where did it all come from" and so forth. This because these questions are, by there very nature, relative and context bound. So we are moving beyond relative notions of life, into direct non-conceptual experiencing. This does not mean that we cease to think, but that our relationship with our thought changes. The measure of the path is the ending of suffering. So Identifying this suffering....this Dukkha is the starting point. The other essential thing to remember is that you are not trying to find a higher external power. The basic heart of reality is closer to you than your own bones. Nothing is lacking within you. The authority and authenticity ultimately rests in your own bones. It is a practice of uncovering.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Welcome Eden
    I believe there is some higher power unifying us all to each other, the earth and the universe. If you wish to call this "God" then perhaps I'm an Agnostic, but I don't think it's some bearded man judging people in the sky.
    Buddhism teaches about nature. That which creates order (and change) in the universe is the law of nature. That which unifies us experientially is consciousness and that which unifies us emotionally is our human nature, in that we all wish to be happy and all wish to be free from suffering.
    The temples just, felt good to me, it's hard to explain and I likely sound silly.
    Your experience did not sound silly at all. In fact, the way you felt in terms of time, space and inwardly reflects peacefulness & empathy with spirituality.
    So I suppose what I'm looking for is a starting point. I'm a highly analitical and logical person, I don't rush into anything and often times over-think rather than under-think. I want to learn about Buddhism before making any decisions, but I want to learn from the right sources. Random internet websites have taught me some, but I don't know how credible they are and what not.
    Buddhist internet websites are credible. I am credible. Others are credible. However, this is not the issue.

The issue of your learning is you will learn what you are seeking. Buddhism offers different perspectives for different people so your learning will occur dependent on your personal disposition and what you are looking for.
    I hope I don't seem too strange, I'm a bit new (obviously) to all this and I don't really know what I'm doing yet, so thank you everyone in advance for your help.
    Your politeness is praiseworthy however please be at ease and make yourself at home. You do not seem strange at all so please ask of this forum whatever you wish.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Well put, DD. I second that. Apart from the 'credible' bit.

Sometimes, I don't feel credible at all. :rolleyes:

But I'd like to think my heart's in the right place....:o :D

Welcome to our forum, edenofdreams..... ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Welcome, Eden. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Thank you everyone, you've all been so kind and I feel really welcome. I'll definately have to check out those books.

One of the things I've been reading about is that there's a lot of emphasis on suffering. And it seems like some of the things I've read people inflict different forms of "suffering" on themselves, like not eating or living outside with very little or nothing, to overcome suffering. This concept of suffering to fix suffering doesn't really make sense to me...
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    The emphasis on suffering is not masochism. It's just watching the suffering which is already happening, in order to understand it better, and so bring an end to it.
  • edited October 2009
    Welcome eden !

When we say there is suffering, it means that we acknowledge the presence of disturbing emotions, craving, confusion and dissatisfaction of one kind or another in our lives, as well as, of course, the suffering of old age sickness and death. This doesn't mean that we have to be negative about it because Lord Buddha gave us methods for understanding and overcoming suffering.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited October 2009
    Ah, I suppose that makes sense, thank you!

I'm thinking of traveling to Mount Koya (Koyasan) where the sect of Shingon Buddhism was founded. There you can stay in the temples with the monks, which I'll likely do. They serve you breakfast and dinner in shojin-ryori and invite you to participate in morning prayers with them. Before going I'm going to read more, but I have two questions that I doubt the books will cover and maybe you all can help with, since you've been so helpful already...

Firstly, is there any major etiquette around Monks that I need to be aware of? I of course know normal things of how to be polite. But I know a lot of cultures/religions have things like, showing the bottoms of the feet is rude. I know in Buddhism that's not the case, but is there anything like that? Something that's a little beyond normal common sense etiquette that I wouldn't think of?

Secondly, if I was to ask/learn about one thing from them what would you all recommend? I'm sure I'll learn a lot by being there, but I was more wondering that if there was something in particular I should look to learn from them, since I know it's a great oppertunity to learn.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Question one:
    Contact your intended monastery and ask them.
    It's the only way to know how never to put a foot (hand, knee, arm or hand) wrong.
    Question two:
    How to sit still, absorb and meditate, and detach from any distractions while you're there.
    Right Concentration.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Eden.
    But I know a lot of cultures/religions have things like, showing the bottoms of the feet is rude. I know in Buddhism that's not the case

Its considered to be disrespectful to stretch ones legs out with the soles of the feet facing directly towards the shrine in Tibetan Buddhist shrine-rooms. Definately find out what's expected from the monastery first.

Secondly, if I was to ask/learn about one thing from them what would you all recommend?

I would suggest meditation.:)