Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ekajati and me

NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
edited October 2009 in General Banter
[This is just a story I wanted to share]

Ever since I can remember I have had a fascination with witches and a little despise for princesses and prices in fairy tales.

I remember when it was Christmas the TV stations normally aired things like The Wizard of Oz and I would just glow with excitement when the lady on a bike turned into the wicked witch, and every scene she appeared marked me to this day. As far as Dorothy goes I didn't like her much, and I absolutely loathed Glenda.

You wanna know what other character I ABSOLUTELY hated? That stupid prince that killed my favorite witch ever: Maleficent from sleeping beauty (I actually used to cry a little when she died: is that weird or what?). There was something about her devil horns and dragon transformation that I just loved :D Wicked Witch of the West and Maleficent meant Christmas to me.

When I was about six years old my mother started buying me some plastic figures that a big brand released with their products. They were all monsters, very small - 2 to 4 cm as I recall -, and they even had a castle made of very feeble plastic. It took me almost one year to complete the full set, and there was one that I specially loved, and no, it wasn't the witch (although there was one).

My favorite figure consisted of a six or four armed woman (can't remember), with sharp teeth, a necklace made of skulls, and another skull in her hand. The feeble plastic castle crumbled, the other monsters were mostly lost, but that special one, Kali - at the time I had no idea who she was, and probably neither did the company that sold her alongside of werewolves, krakens and medusas - remained in a box full of childhood memories for almost twenty years.

It wasn't until recently that I remembered all that.

While going through some websites looking for Buddhist images I came across Ekajati. Seeing that image with one teeth, the forked tongue, the corpse at her feet suddenly brought me back the feeling that I used to have, as I child, while playing with my kali and imagining her laying waste to an army of bigfoots, gargoyles and ghouls.

She supposedly is the Blue Tara, if I understand correctly. She doens't look like the traditional Tara to me. Take for instance her face filled with anger, or her breasts. Shockingly, she only has one: her breasts, symbol of motherhood and feminility, were turned into a silent war cry, that seemed to echo and vibrate from every part of her wretched body.

I was taken by a feeling of intransitive anger, not as in hatred for something specific. I was simply angry, just because I could, just because I had the power to be that way and wanted to. Maybe rage is a better word. The rage turned into energy, filled my steps with determination. I wasn't walking like a mindful person: I was walking like a vigorous bull, filled with strenght.

I never really understood what those Taras stand for or what is really an Yidam. I know they are supposed to be part of a secret knowledge, and that they represent mostly a state of mind. Or at least that is my best guess. But for that moment in time, I might have grasped that concept. That image, that blue, fearsome warrior, evoked in me strenght, determination and purpose, all which were buried deep inside of me: for a moment I WAS Ekajati.