Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Monasticism Dangerous?

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I thought it would be interesting to hear the perspectives of this group, who seem to be very open-minded. I have often wondered if monasticism is contrary to the goals of Buddhism of encouraging compassion towards others, since it seems that living a cloistered life away from people with different points of view leads to an "us vs. them" mentality. I wonder if hiding away from the world in a monastary is really the best way, or even a good way, to achieve enlightenment. What are you thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    since it seems that living a cloistered life away from people with different points of view leads to an "us vs. them" mentality

Hello Guy,

Why would monastics have an 'us vs.them' mentality ? The ones I've met have been very friendly and open with lay people.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Hi, Guy.

Welcome to the forum.

I think you may have the wrong impression of what it means to be a Buddhist monastic. Monks and nuns don't hide themselves away in monasteries. They "go forth" into the community. They become the teachers, social workers, therapists, and so on for the Buddhist community. Some monastics will go on retreat for long periods of time, sometimes years, but that is not the way all monastics live all the time.

So to answer your question, no, I definitely don't think monasticism is dangerous.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Guy... all I can say is that you 'n' me musta come across a whole diff'rent bunch of monastics..... none of the monastics I have encountered remotely resemble those you describe!

Can you elaborate on what you mean, precisely? What have your experiences been? :)
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the responses everybody. Let me say first of all that I certainly don't mean to offend anybody, and I appreciate you I know that monasticism is a valued tradition in Buddhism. But I can't shake the feeling that is creates a condition which is contrary to the goals of Buddhist practice, or perhaps makes those goals more difficult to achieve. After all, Buddha himself was not a monastic but a mendicant (Let me make myself more clear, when I say "monastic" I mean one who lives in a monastery).
    Why would monastics have an 'us vs.them' mentality ?

When you have a priestly class it inherently cultivates a clergy vs. lay distinction, and I think this can create feelings of false superiority, can it not? Or at least a false duality.
    federica wrote: »
    Guy... all I can say is that you 'n' me musta come across a whole diff'rent bunch of monastics..... none of the monastics I have encountered remotely resemble those you describe!

Can you elaborate on what you mean, precisely? What have your experiences been? :)

Sure thing. I too have met many monastics who are as kind as can be. But I think (and let me emphasis that this is just my initial thought, not a fact), that these monastics are the exception rather than the rule. I have asked this question of a few monastics and gotten an almost uniformly hostile reaction which seems to prove my point. It reminds me of one of my favorite koans, where Tanzan met a Tendai monk who refused to drink alcohol. Tazan said to him, "A man who doesn't drink isn't really a man." The monk got furious at this and asked angrily, "Well what is he then?" Tazan replied, "A Buddha!"
    They "go forth" into the community. They become the teachers, social workers, therapists, and so on for the Buddhist community.

How common is this sort of thing? I feel like this should be the primary goal of monaticism, but my impression is that these sort of "good works" are often relegated to the backburner, behind things like chanting and meditation, which seems backwards to me.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Whilst I understand where you are coming from, Guy, it should be pointed out that Buddhism, as far as we can tell from the accounts handed down to us, was, right from the start, based on a monastic ideal. If you ditch that, ditch the Sangha, have you still got Buddhism?
  • edited October 2009
    If you ditch that, ditch the Sangha, have you still got Buddhism?

Thanks for the reply Simon, and I see where you are coming from that monasticism seems to have been a part of Buddhism from very early on. However, I am not sure I agree that monasticism is tantamount to the Sangha itself. I think there is an aspect of modern monasticism that operates to shield monks from the outside world in a way that Buddha did not do. I think Theravada beggar-monks do seem to be close to this ideal. I think that you can ditch the cloistered, safe environs of a monastery without ditching the Sangha and without ditching Buddhism. But you do raise an interesting point!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    ...I think that you can ditch the cloistered, safe environs of a monastery without ditching the Sangha and without ditching Buddhism.

yes.... that's called being a 'Lay Buddhist'.....join the club......! :rolleyes: :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    They "go forth" into the community. They become the teachers, social workers, therapists, and so on for the Buddhist community.
    How common is this sort of thing?
    It's the norm in the tradition I follow which is the Thai Forest Tradition. It's also the norm in most other traditions as far as I know.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited October 2009
    ... I feel like this should be the primary goal of monaticism, but my impression is that these sort of "good works" are often relegated to the backburner, behind things like chanting and meditation, which seems backwards to me.

I had the strong impression that Buddhism was about gaining enlightenment, and release from suffering and rebirth. Not specifically about doing Good Works out in the world. But I guess in the Mahayana tradition, there's a lot about bodhisattvas doing good works. Are you mahayana? Sounds like you lean that way, from your comments I quoted above. The bodhisattva spirit is strong in you, I reckon you must have a lot of compassion. Me, not so much. I'm still working on that, a lifelong project.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2009
    My experience with the ordained Sangha has been through the Thai Forest Tradition, in the western stream of Ajahn Sumedho. The long time friend of our Lay Sangha here in Canada has been Ajahn Viradhammo. This man is a living inspiration to so many Lay people, and a beautiful example of open heartedness and engagement. There is nothing disconnected about these monastics.
  • edited October 2009
    James the Giant wrote: I had the strong impression that Buddhism was about gaining enlightenment, and release from suffering and rebirth. Not specifically about doing Good Works out in the world.
    I would have to humbly say gaining enlightenment is what it is all about. With further explanation. I think in my limited understanding that helping others to become awakened is also part of the monastic responsibility. We as lay people support the monastic community to become awake (i.e. they can spend time in retreats etc) in return it is a dual serving thing. They in return for this support teach us their insight, that they gain from living a life dedicated to becoming enlightened.

Now, let's look at the Buddha and in his day. He traveled and taught. His monastics while they took up in the monastic communities during the winter months, traveled I believe in two's through out the land teaching. These good works can't help but be a result in my humble thoughts to becoming awake. Monastics see the suffering in the world and have compassion.
    I am sure that their are monastics that are monks and nuns because they wanted to run away from the responsibility of this life. That have this "I am a monk I am special" mentality. Those monastics that spend their entire life as monastics from a small child. They are not going to a monastery because they want to spend a life serving the greater global community. It is a status of honor for a family to send them. I think that we have alot of monastics that are scholars of their traditions and it is more of a profession. I am sorry if it seems I am rambling.

The other thing I noticed is that everywhere I go it seems more and more about money for dharma teachings. I know in our western mind if you do not ask for money for dharma we usually don't give. I have a small unity type group of different beliefs and faiths that come together to share their beliefs with the group. We meet twice a month We have a donation jar that is placed in on the center and nothing is usually said and NOONE contributes unless it is brought up." we need donations it is coming time to pay for the use of this place" Etc. But that is part of human Western thinking that I hope to get away from in myself.

I don't know I may be talking out of the side of my mouth as my own journey seems many life times away from where it should be. Thanks for listening.
  • edited October 2009
    I wanted to add. that in my own personal Journey I want to one day take full ordination. It is something I have wanted as long as I can remember. But, I do not want a cloistered life. I want to travel and teach. I have this diluted vision of those buddhist in various communities offering me shelter and food from time to time. I willing to live in shelters when needed. I want to spend my time serving the community at large and teaching them dharma. I would take retreat from time to time as needed.

Will this ever happen who knows.

WRB
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I had the strong impression that Buddhism was about gaining enlightenment, and release from suffering and rebirth.
    Hi James

In Buddhism, enlightenment is about gaining release from suffering by ending 'ego birth'.

In Buddhism, rebirth is about making merit or doing good. This is how the Buddha taught. By believing in rebirth, one has a vehicle for making merit.

Your view is neither Mahayana or Theravada. An enlightened being is engaged rather than passive. The Buddha advised:
    53. As from a great heap of flowers many garlands can be made, even so should many good deeds be done by one born a human.

166. Let one not neglect one's own welfare for the sake of another, however great. Clearly understanding one's own welfare, let one be intent upon the good.

Dhammapada
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    My experience with the ordained Sangha has been through the Thai Forest Tradition, in the western stream of Ajahn Sumedho. The long time friend of our Lay Sangha here in Canada has been Ajahn Viradhammo. This man is a living inspiration to so many Lay people, and a beautiful example of open heartedness and engagement. There is nothing disconnected about these monastics.
    I'm so glad you're familiar with Ajahn Viradhammo, Richard! He's the abbot at Tisarana Monastery just outside Perth, Ontario, for those who are not familiar with him. I met him briefly last summer at the monastery and I listen to podcasts of his teachings all the time. The monastery is only about 2 hours away from where I live and one day I'll be moving to Perth to be closer to Tisarana and the Buddhist community there. It's a very active community with Days of Mindfulness every Saturday as well as group meditation, Dhamma teachings, visiting monks from all around the world, activities for children, and rooms for lay followers to stay overnight or longer if they wish. That's just to name a few activities. There are many more. A really great place.

By the way, Guy, if you're still around, I forgot to mention something you might find interesting about the monks in the Thai Forest Tradition. They follow the Vinaya, the Buddha's instructions for monastics, as closely as possible. They are forbidden to grow or prepare their own food or handle money. The reason for this is to keep the monastics dependent upon the lay community so they won't go off to practice in complete solitude. They do, of course, go on retreats and practice in solitude occasionally but that is not what they do for the majority of their time.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I'm so glad you're familiar with Ajahn Viradhammo, Richard! He's the abbot at Tisarana Monastery just outside Perth, Ontario, for those who are not familiar with him. I met him briefly last summer at the monastery and I listen to podcasts of his teachings all the time. The monastery is only about 2 hours away from where I live and one day I'll be moving to Perth to be closer to Tisarana and the Buddhist community there. It's a very active community with Days of Mindfulness every Saturday as well as group meditation, Dhamma teachings, visiting monks from all around the world, activities for children, and rooms for lay followers to stay overnight or longer if they wish. That's just to name a few activities. There are many more. A really great place.
    Oh wonderful!, We've known Ajahn for almost twenty years. He blessed my son as an infant, and a group of us went to retreat with him when he was Abbot in New Zealand. Before Tisarana we also used to have regular retreats up in Hockley Valley but not since. It is a blessing to have this lineage of ordained Sangha in our lives. We are also looking forward to Ajahn Sumedho coming next year. I think Tisarana will be getting alot of visitors! and some folks will also be organizing a public talk for him in Toronto. The Toronto Sangha is less organized of late, less corporate in structure and is more a circle of old freinds, although we do have public sittings on Sundayswhich us old dogs take turns facilitating...

Every time I have made a plan to get up to the monastary, something has come-up. But now I can look forward to saying Hi when I'm up there.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    The monastic community is dependent on lay practitioners for support, they are not self-supporting. So any monastic community that shunned the laity wouldn't last long. The reason for monasticism is to provide more time for study and practice. Raising small children is not compatible with long periods of silent meditation.
  • edited October 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    By the way, Guy, if you're still around, I forgot to mention something you might find interesting about the monks in the Thai Forest Tradition. They follow the Vinaya, the Buddha's instructions for monastics, as closely as possible. They are forbidden to grow or prepare their own food or handle money. The reason for this is to keep the monastics dependent upon the lay community so they won't go off to practice in complete solitude. They do, of course, go on retreats and practice in solitude occasionally but that is not what they do for the majority of their time.

Very interesting! I will definitely read more about this monks. I know that all monastic traditions developed in different ways, and I think that the criticisms I voiced above are direct at those that divorce the ordained from the lay community, some of which do away with the institution of almsround altogether. On the other hand, I think the Forest Monks as you described them are very close to the ideal.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Oh wonderful!, We've known Ajahn for almost twenty years. He blessed my son as an infant, and a group of us went to retreat with him when he was Abbot in New Zealand. Before Tisarana we also used to have regular retreats up in Hockley Valley but not since. It is a blessing to have this lineage of ordained Sangha in our lives. We are also looking forward to Ajahn Sumedho coming next year. I think Tisarana will be getting alot of visitors! and some folks will also be organizing a public talk for him in Toronto. The Toronto Sangha is less organized of late, less corporate in structure and is more a circle of old freinds, although we do have public sittings on Sundayswhich us old dogs take turns facilitating...

Every time I have made a plan to get up to the monastary, something has come-up. But now I can look forward to saying Hi when I'm up there.
    Having that sangha here definitely IS a great blessing. I think about it a lot and feel so grateful. How lucky are we?

How wonderful that you've known Ajahn for so long and that your son could be blessed by him. I'd really like the opportunity to have a conversation with him somehow someday but he's a busy man so I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to have more than a short, polite sort of exchange. It would be great though because I have questions I'd love to get some help with and he's the kind of teacher that gets through to me quickly. The way he speaks and how he phrases things makes the teachings so much clearer than they are when I read them. He's gifted that way, isn't he? And I haven't even seen him teach in person. Only by audio recording.

I just read the latest newsletter from Tisarana and Ajahn Sumedho's dates are confirmed for next summer. They're not taking any bookings yet and I imagine when they do the space will fill up quickly, to put it mildly. It would be great to be able to visit during that time (May 25th to June 14th) because there will be so many people around and I've never been to a gathering of Buddhists before.

Maybe I'll bump into you someday at the monastery. Wouldn't that be fun? :D If that ever happens I'll quietly hum a few bars of "It's a Small World". :crazy: :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Very interesting! I will definitely read more about this monks. I know that all monastic traditions developed in different ways, and I think that the criticisms I voiced above are direct at those that divorce the ordained from the lay community, some of which do away with the institution of almsround altogether. On the other hand, I think the Forest Monks as you described them are very close to the ideal.
    Yes, from what I understand the order was established in reaction to the corruption, superstition, and laziness (that sounds a bit harsh but there you have it) of some of the Thai monasteries at the time. The point was to return to the Buddha's original instructions for monastics and to live as closely to his suggestions as possible. That's what got me interested in the Thai Forest Tradition in the first place; its purity, not so much of lineage but of practice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I disagree - monks are VERY dangerous! We slay egos right and left! BEWARE!

And monks aren't priests, Mr. Guy.

Palzang