Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Want to learn to be grateful

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
This is my biggest challenge and my biggest problem. I dont fee grateful for what I have, I feel I always want more, feel that I deserve more and I should have had more..
My life seems ok: i have good job (money is not great, but more than many people do), good husband, just bough a house..Of course we cant afford many things now because of house we bought, but I should be grateful for what I have, but I am not. I always feel miserable and as if I am not getting enought from life.
How can i change it?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    amalis wrote: »
    How can i change it?
    Metta meditation.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Hi amalis

Read this book

A Life of Inner Quality http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/book/272/
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Hello Amalis,

Reading books or going to websites like Gratefulness.org may help - a bit! What helped me a lotwas practising a grateful attitude.

Back when I was a child, my grandmother (a pious Methodist) would get us to "count our blessings" at our prayers at night, a habit that I gave up whenever she wasn't around. I took it up again a couple of decades ago. It grew out of a year spent, with a group of other poets who met each month, writing "praise poetry". Rilke set me alight.

And, as I practised a grateful mind, I found more and more to engage it. Now, even a torrential downpour like the one that caught me this afternoon contains elements I can praise. This is not "Pollyanna" gratitude, it is a genuine feeling of thankfulness that I can actually be here in this moment and experience this.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Gratefulness grows as your sense of self-importance shrinks.