Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Post some niceness! There's too much negativity in the news!

edited August 2010 in General Banter
Find something nice? Post it

I'll start off with this.

86-year-old WW2 vet, lifelong Republican, Philip Spooner, on gay rights:
The woman at my polling place asked me do I believe in equality for gay and lesbian people. I was pretty surprised to be asked a question like that. It made no sense to me. Finally I asked her: what do you think I fought for in Omaha Beach for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEbJBFWIPk

Comments

• edited October 2009
    There is an excellent local paper that is distributed freely and available to bus passengers called metro. It's certainly one of the more upbeat papers in existence. Our general local paper is also full of interesting news and articles, from local history, community projects and yearly smiling baby competitions. They try really hard to find shocking sensationalist news stories but often it's usually something about a flat tyre or a schoolboy who got his pocketmoney stolen.

On a more national level there is the daily fail. Whoops! did I do a typo? This is probably one of the most whiny negative newspapers ever, not that I bother to read it of course.

So, when we're talking about 'the news' there's a whole spectrum out there. You just got to know where to look.

The last good story I read was about a guide dog... for another dog. This dog was so great because it would always wait for the poor blind dog and make sure it was safe. Nice smiley stuff.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    The fox that I thought was going to die seems to be recovering. I saw it a few days ago hunting something in the grass. It's coat had started to grow back and it's movements were normal.

Why don't they report this stuff on the Fox network? Foxes everywhere feel like their network is ignoring them.
  • edited October 2009
    Post something nice??
    SCREAM!! :D
    I LOVE it!!! At last!!!! Happiness!!!! Fun !!! Nice things !!!

*runs around the thread screaming loudly* :lol:

If its niceness, then i want to talk about hamsters.
    If your fed-up of hearing it, just skip this post, but if this doesn't make you smile, then shame on you! :sadc:

I, like to make speciality hamster meals
    For two lucky full round little fuzzy girls :D
    (Katie and Holly to you) ;)

They have had (all suitable for hamster tummies of course) hamster pizzas, hamster burgers, hamster hot-dogs, hamster tacos, hamster pasta,
    and tonight they are having hamster sushi.

*a piece of apple carved into a 'bowl' shape, then filled with some cooked rice ;)

It is currently being madly devoured as i type.
    The sight of rice round a happy hamsters whiskers just makes my world :o

I guess its whatever rocks your boat, but hey, its something nice to write, yea? ;)
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited October 2009
    TR,
    I really enjoy you hamster stories and pictures. Up to this point I'd not heard of hamster pizza's. I can really catch the love you have for them as well as the joy they bring to your life.

grackle
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Foxes everywhere feel like their network is ignoring them.
    LMAO!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Tokyo_Rose wrote: »
    Post something nice??
    SCREAM!! :D
    I LOVE it!!! At last!!!! Happiness!!!! Fun !!! Nice things !!!

*runs around the thread screaming loudly* :lol:

If its niceness, then i want to talk about hamsters.
    If your fed-up of hearing it, just skip this post, but if this doesn't make you smile, then shame on you! :sadc:

I, like to make speciality hamster meals
    For two lucky full round little fuzzy girls :D
    (Katie and Holly to you) ;)

They have had (all suitable for hamster tummies of course) hamster pizzas, hamster burgers, hamster hot-dogs, hamster tacos, hamster pasta,
    and tonight they are having hamster sushi.

*a piece of apple carved into a 'bowl' shape, then filled with some cooked rice ;)

It is currently being madly devoured as i type.
    The sight of rice round a happy hamsters whiskers just makes my world :o

I guess its whatever rocks your boat, but hey, its something nice to write, yea? ;)
    And still lmao!
    You're hilarious, Susie! And a warm, bright ray of sunshine.
    I'm glad you, Katie, and Holly decided to hang out here. :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    Find something nice? Post it

I'll start off with this.

86-year-old WW2 vet, lifelong Republican, Philip Spooner, on gay rights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEbJBFWIPk
    I'm not even hormonal at the moment and I still got choked up. What a wonderful father he must be.

Thanks, Kikujiro. (Is there a short version of that name I can call you? Or am I being too lazy?)
  • edited October 2009
    Having a bad day? This should turn things around for you!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OBlgSz8sSM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OBlgSz8sSM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • edited October 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Thanks, Kikujiro. (Is there a short version of that name I can call you? Or am I being too lazy?)

Welcome! And I'm Adam. :)
  • edited October 2009
    grackle wrote: »
    I really enjoy you hamster stories and pictures. Up to this point I'd not heard of hamster pizza's. I can really catch the love you have for them as well as the joy they bring to your life.

grackle
    Thank you :D

Hamster pizzas are ace ;) Basically you just use 'safe for hammies' vegetables & fruit and make the shapes (eg. pizzas, tacos etc)

For pizza-

Cut out of a tortilla wrap (using an egg-cup to cut round) a small circle.
    Put the circle onto an upside-down feeding bowl (so they can get to it)
    Put on two sweetcorn niblets,
    two tiny pieces of red bell-pepper
    a tiny piece of pineapple
    and on top, a very small sprinkly of finely grated hard cheese.

Its demolished in seconds. . . .

Anyone need any hamster meals recipes, you've come to the right hamster mummy ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    Welcome! And I'm Adam. :)
    Thanks, Adam!
  • edited October 2009
    I decided today, i would weigh Katie and Holly.

Katie weighs 138 grams

Holly weighs 135 grams

Thats equal to half a cup of sugar :)
    A hamster in a tea-cup :p
    Or both together they'd be a full cup of sugar :eek:

All that sweetness :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    That is adorable, Susie.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2009
    goto you tube and look up Paul Potts and Susan Boyle-both were on Britains Got Talent-there is some inspiration for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA&feature=fvw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deRF9oEbRso&feature=PlayList&p=f4sfIAyOgwc

hopefully this might work...
  • edited October 2009
    MythBusters' Adam Savage - Dodos, Maltese Falcons, and the Art of Obsession

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SopXQfc_s

If your feeling low on energy, this might pick you up :P
  • edited November 2009
    *posting niceness* :p

Holly has had an extension on her cage!
    My dear little (recently gone) Katie's cage was just going to go up in the loft, then i thought, hang on, this can extend onto Holly's cage!
    So now Holly has got four floors to herself.
    Two water bottles, two food dishes and two toilets.
    Its a luxery palace! A penthouse cage!
    LOL :D
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Niceness is a much more challenging context for meditation than adversity.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Susie (Tokyo Rose),
    you've inspired me to get another hamster! Although I might get a pair of dwarf hamsters (because alone animals make me sad and I havn't got room or money for two cages). I'll wait until my budgie dies first LOL. It sounds heartless but it's an evil miserable little creature that'll bite your hand off soon as look at you!

*Looks around nervously for Fudge the Budge attack*:lol:
  • edited November 2009
    ^ ^ ^ Poor Fudgie budgie! :(

Syrian hamsters are kept alone, so you only need one cage.
    NEVER kept two syrian hamsters together!

I think everyone should be inspired by me to keep hamsters :rolleyes:
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I was a bit harsh about Fudge...:o

I know that many species of hamster are solitary animals, I've read that two sibling dwarf hamsters will get on. Can they, Oh Guardian of the Hamster:D
  • edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »

Oh Guardian of the Hamster:D

*basks in my new title*

Well the apparant 'experts' say that russian and chineses dwarf hamsters can be kept in pairs.

I keep opnly Syrian hamsters (as you said, they have to be kept on thier own, without question) but i know other people who keep russian hamsters in pairs, and i have to say i have never known a successful pairing. One always kills the other.

Now, im sure it must be alright to keep them in pairs, and obviously other people have, but from what i have seen, hamsters just want to be alone.

Experts say its ok. Personally i wouldn't. Its up to you of course, though i wouldn't want you to get a pair then one kills the other.
    Maybe if you research it a bit? Im only going on what i have actually seen.
    edited November 2009
    LOL
    I'll look into it and i'll only get two if they'll be happy.
    I hope you enjoy your title;)
    Joe
  • edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    LOL

I hope you enjoy your title;)
    Oh yes, 'Guardian of the Hamster' is most fitting.
    Does a chocolate pension come with this position? :rolleyes:
    edited November 2009
    Yes it does! A pound in weight of chocolate for every pound of money!!!:D
    As a Hamster Guardian you hold much unknown power!;)
    Did you know your enemies will turn to hamster pizzas before your very eyes!?
  • edited November 2009
    Id rather they turned into chocolate :p

Have i actually got enemies? :rolleyes:
    edited November 2009
    I hope not! ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Nobody dare be my enemy. Not with my hamster bodyguards to protect me :rarr:
    edited November 2009
    *cries with fear*
  • edited November 2009
    You know i cover people first in crushed digestive biscuits, before setting hamsters on them. . . . .
    edited November 2009
    yum/scared? :s
  • edited November 2009
    This video will melt your heart....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Bmhjf0rKe8&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Bmhjf0rKe8&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    edited November 2009
    That's sooooo cute! :D
    Is the kitten your's?
  • edited November 2009
    Nope, I wish though!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Oh, man! Ohgod! How I love kittens. Oh how sweet that creature is. It kills me. That kitten reminds me of my sister's kitten Francesca who I haven't seen in over a month and who I miss, sometimes terribly. Kittens are the only creatures (and that includes humans) that I actually miss when I'm not with them. The only ones.

Thanks for that adorable, sweet video.
    edited December 2009
    Oh, man! Ohgod! How I love kittens.

Sooo... I take it you like kittens then? :lol::D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Lol!! Yup!
    edited December 2009
    Guessed so ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Hope this is a giggle and nice too- I have planned my wife's 'yuletide' (!) pressie. Its probably the first one where i get her what she wants not what i want her to want! She loves jigsaws, she loves our dog Blue and she loves cuddly toys...

...So i'm going to set all her cuddlies on the bed, get blue to hop up and lie in them and take a picture, then send it off to make into a jigsaw for 'yuletide' fun. ha ha!:lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    That's a great idea, blueface.

Very creative and I'm sure she'll love it.
  • edited December 2009
    This is perhaps the best cat video I have ever seen. It was filmed in an apartment in Japan.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdhLQCYQ-nQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdhLQCYQ-nQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    edited December 2009
    Excellent Idea Blueface! ;)
    It's fun making everything somebody likes into one great present. :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I love it! What a great video! A cat and a box. That's pretty much all it takes!

Those jumps out of the box kept making me laugh my ass off. Hilarious! And the ending...priceless!

The person who made and edited the video knew what they were doing too. I love a well made video.

Maru looks so healthy and his (her?) coat looks so spongy it makes me want to squeeze him! Just a little. I want to hug him.

Who was is it who said, "God made cats so man could hug a tiger." Maybe Nirvy will know, or Simon.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi All

Love the thread!

Found this from a quick Google -

http://www.positivenews.org.uk/cgi-bin/Positive_News/welcome.cgi

Peace~Love~Happiness
  • edited December 2009
    There's a great not-so-little site called Beliefnet. You can subscribe 2 receive emails from them every day. May not exactly be 'news' but they can lift the spirit -

http://www.beliefnet.com/Newsletter/Signup.aspx

The religious jokes are often quite funny :)

Peace~Love~Happiness
  • edited December 2009
    1243378805828-thumb.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Awww! Poor wee thing!

I love the orange ones. I have a big orange one sleeping right beside me at the moment. His name is Tom and he's very sentimental.
    edited December 2009
    Once my little Molly had a cast on her little leg. (She has a paw infection every year buy the operation went wrong and she had to have a cast for six weeks- and a funny funnel head thing as well). :)
  • edited May 2010
    Niceness with some reality.

Alice, the sister of one of our cats was run over a little while ago. I didnt find out till later that day. I had the job of burying her and when I did she was stiff as a board, Like a model of a cat, which was a shock since she looked just like she did curled up asleep. Her sister Gizmo was very unhappy, as were my parents. I had been upset and let it go by then so I suggested we take care of some more fluffy animals. So we got the honour of looking after these lovelys: Charlie and Oscar.

Charlie-and-Oscar-2.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    Hmm, niceness... oh! This goose was very nice to allow me to photograph him up close in the park three days ago :D

31031_121392624538789_100000041560944_288010_3029064_n.jpg