Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Procrastination and makebelieve help

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited October 2009 in Arts & Writings

Makebelieve Help, Old Butchers, and Figuring Out Who You Are (For Now)

I just fell in love with Merlin Mann.

If it feels like you're missing what he's talking about at first, just stick with it and browse the links below the post to catch up. I am very reticent to spend a half hour of my life on a video some guy posted, but that was some time really well spent.

Comments

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited October 2009
    That guy has a great sense of humor and it is a really interesting video. I wonder though, if he is talking about commercial endeavors as opposed to people in a community trying to be of help.

People on this board seem to ask for help fairly often. I don't get the feeling anyone is taking advantage of them or trying to keep them in their suffering. Many of the people who talk on this board seem to have tried "expert" support and found it does not meet their needs. Some of the keep involved with an expert but solicit support here too. Depression is a prime example. A lot of the expert guidance a person gets in respect to mental health, can be purely the use of medication. Something they may not believe in and be unwilling to follow.

And there may be some spiritual guidance available locally but if you live in a place like Canada (as I do), the nearest Buddhist may be hundreds of miles away. 60 miles or so for me so it isn't always easy to access.

I know he makes a good point in regards to getting advice on the internet but by the same token, is it all bad?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    He's talking about people who make a living off of "self-help and productivity" blogs and such, not people discussing things as a community. I'm glad you enjoyed his sense of humor too :)