Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to start a sangha? Any ideas?

edited November 2009 in General Banter
I'm trying to start a Dharma group/Sangha in my town. I started a group on meetup.com. We have had one meet up so far and have another one in two weeks. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know where this group will go, or what it is all about. A few of the other members gave the impression that I should be the leader of the group or something. I feel very uncomfortable with that because I consider myself I beginner as far as Buddhism goes. I have been studying Buddhism on my own for 7 years, have never had a teacher, and the only temples I've ever been in were while I was on vacation in Japan. Another problem is it seems like all the members are from different Buddhist traditions. I respect all Buddhist traditions, but I just think it may be difficult with different backgrounds, and ideas. Basically I want this group to work out, be a place for the Dharma to be introduced to my area.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    It reminds me of the poem....
    I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?

Roger McGough

Well, basically you need to formulate a plan, that is, what your objectives are, and why.

Make it clear that the 'Sangha' is non-denominational, but that it's a place for everyone to come and find refuge....

And sorry to say it, but if you're starting it up, then of course, you're going to have to do the administration and be in charge.
    It was your idea, so unless you appoint someone, or someone else volunteers, you have to give some kind of direction....
  • edited October 2009
    Hang up flyers in your local supermarket or post on Craigslist.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Sambhodi, are you trolling.....? :lol::lol:
  • edited October 2009
    How so?
    edited October 2009
    Because at first glance, your post looks a little facetious, superficial and abrupt, and doesn't address the full query posted in the original question.

And knowing your proclivity for being alert to flamers, trollers and troublemakers, I'm joking with you. :p
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the replies everybody.

Our next meeting is at a book store. I thought that would be a good neutral place. I've planed for us to discuss the 5 Precepts. Someone has suggested a local Unitarian church. I think it is a good idea but I do have some reservations because I don't want anything to religious. I think I will kind of put it up to a vote if the group wants to meet there the time after next. I think adding some meditation time to our meeting will be a great idea. The Unitarian church would be a good place for that.
  • edited October 2009
    If there are any Buddhist centres or monasteries around your area, you can invite the Buddhist monks/nuns to come over and give a talk. They're always happy to do that - as long as you can arrange transport for them.

Good luck with your new group - I hope it goes well and grows and prospers.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis
  • edited November 2009
    Hi A Medic, you sound like you are doing well. Is the book store quiet enough for meditation? Bravo anyhows!