Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Western versus Buddhist Thought

edited October 2009 in Arts & Writings
This is a something I wrote in order to deal with the frustration I feel having to operate in a western mode of thought while simultaneously believing in a more eastern mode of being.

A Lie Wrote This
<O:p</O:p
You said that I was separate from the world.
You said that I came into it and that I will one day leave it.
You made me believe that I did not create the sun and the stars and the sky,
And that the sun and the stars and the sky, did not create me.
Why did you lie?
<O:p</O:p
Now you say that you are not me, because I wrote this and you did not.
But maybe I didn’t, either.
Maybe the lie wrote this.
And I’ve never said anything at all.

-Zenone

Thank you for reading! :)

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Thanks for the poetry!
    Just a couple of questions, is this poem refering to interaction between Western view and Buddhist view or other Eastern approaches?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    zenone wrote: »
    This is a something I wrote in order to deal with the frustration I feel having to operate in a western mode of thought while simultaneously believing in a more eastern mode of being.

(. . .)

Thank you for reading! :)

If you believe there is an "us" versus "them" in Buddhism, you are not understanding correctly.
    Buddhism transcends nations, frontiers, barriers, East and West.

Buddhism is a practice that is founded on Right Living. (The Eightfold Path)
    There is nothing in Buddhism - or the Eightfold Path - which would suggest a different culture having to follow the Path in a different way. There is no separation, division or distinction.

Any such anomaly is in your mind, and thefore an illusion.
    It is self-generated, and Buddhism bears no responsibility for this, no matter whence it comes....

Consider that.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Zenone and Federica!

Zenone i felt the same way only today about the same frustration. Although as we get deeper into our practice the frustration should cease to be a problem as I think Ferderica says. I think it can be suprising once you have started trying to take on 'buddha eyes' how you see the way alot of Western society appears to work against these principles. For example i feel Western culture is in a process of fast forward - speeding up. Desires increase, patience dwindles, understanding of others dwindles, the need for efficiencies increases. A big time squeeze. You are left with people getting stressed cos they can't have what they want here right now and annoyed it doesn't satify when it comes - a vicious cycle. When i meditate my world slows down to a healthy pace...Nice poem Zenone, hit my buttons.:rolleyes:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    *Off-topic*

I feel I should admit that when I see the name 'Zenone' in my mind, I pronounce it 'Zay-no-nay'...that's what comes of being Italian.....

...apologies....:o :p

*back to topic*
  • edited October 2009
    I made minor changes based on the comments :)

They said that we were separate from the world.
    That we came into it and that we would one day leave.
    They made us believe that we did not create the sun and the stars and the sky,
    and that the sun and the stars and the sky, did not create us.
    Why did they lie?
    <O:p
    Now we say that you are not me, because I wrote this and you did not.
    Maybe the lie wrote this,
    And we’ve never said anything at all.

I guess its less about my frustration of having to deal with western ways of thinking, and more about my personal frustration of not being able to transcend dichotomous thoughts. I don't think that was clear. Cheers.
    edited October 2009
    Got you now.
    Sorry if I seemed picky and pedantic.

It's still all in our head though, right?

Lama Surya Das, in one of his 'Awakening Trilogy' books, quoted one of his many Gurus/Masters, as saying:

"It all begins in our heads, with what we tell ourselves."

Repeatedly - unfailingly, constantly and unerringly - I have found this to be absolutely accurate, spot-on and true.
    No matter what the situation, our perception makes a thought arise, and then we add a story.

It matters not what 'they said'.
    It matters much more, what we do with the 'they said'.
  • edited October 2009
    zenone wrote: »
    I made minor changes based on the comments :)

They said that we were separate from the world.
    That we came into it and that we would one day leave.
    They made us believe that we did not create the sun and the stars and the sky,
    and that the sun and the stars and the sky, did not create us.
    Why did they lie?
    <O:p
    Now we say that you are not me, because I wrote this and you did not.
    Maybe the lie wrote this,
    And we’ve never said anything at all.

I guess its less about my frustration of having to deal with western ways of thinking, and more about my personal frustration of not being able to transcend dichotomous thoughts. I don't think that was clear. Cheers.

It is a nice poem. Your explanation note at the end helps to put it into context.
  • edited October 2009
    oh i see...so it's an internal frustration. Federica - nice reply! I think giving yourself a hard time seems common when you can't shake of dualistic thinking/ rumination etc. Jon Kabat-Zinn makes it very clear in his work that being patient with ourselves is important. For example if one is sitting with the breath and the mind wanders to what someone said etc we can either wrench our thinking back with irritation or gentle let the thought go and return to the breath. I think letting something go is more effective than angrily resisting it...think i may be gettting off topic here! Just caught myself ranting away...:rant: