Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pure/Impure Bah!!!

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited November 2009 in Philosophy
Is a pure condition any "closer" to the unconditioned than an impure one? No. Is a quiescent condition any more like the the unconditioned than a turbulent one? No. What does this mean for practice? What does this mean for cutting to the heart of the matter?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Purity and quiet make it easier to see where the practice leads, though they are not ends in themselves.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Purity and quiet make it easier to see where the practice leads, though they are not ends in themselves.
    Where does it lead to that purity and quiet make it easier to see? Purity and quiet are no less things-among-things than impurity and noise. Where does it lead to when every movement is like trying to sidestep your own bones?

If not sudden then what?
    edited October 2009
    I like the progression described in <a href="http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/index.html">this essay</a>.
    edited October 2009
    I like the progression described in this essay.
    Yes I have the hard copy of that. You seem to have the same background as me, Both Thai style Theravada and "Sudden" school.

There is this issue that has always been there for me. The very notion that one can "approach" that which is inescapable. You also mentioned a Dzodgen teacher yes?
    edited October 2009
    There is also the issue of suitability in terms of lifestyle. We make choices but we also find ourselves with different degrees of worldy responsibility. There are some practices like those taught by Mahasi Sayadaw that are so tight , so bang on , yet would require a monastic focus. Then there are other mor "rough and tumble" approaches that are more adapted to busy life of many responsibilities and commitment. This is where I had occilated for year's always with that sense of the inescapable nature of suchness hanging like a question. Then after years of "mindfulness" sudden re-cognition like a cosmic joke. Hands belong to hands feet belong to feet.
    edited October 2009
    The way I see this is pretty simple: the goal is to end suffering. The method is watching and resting. Different forms of suffering arise, and each practitioner has different capacities for watching and resting in the experience of each kind of suffering. Sitting meditation develops this capacity. It's only "sudden" after the capacity is developed. And there is always some form of suffering for which this capacity is yet to be developed. I bet even the most highly trained practitioner would suffer in the midst of being waterboarded, for instance. Uchiyama Roshi tells a story, I think in <a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=CNR2AAAACAAJ&dq=how+to+cook+your+life&client=firefox-a"><i>How To Cook Your Life</i></a> about having an extremely painful foot infection, shortly after the end of WWII, when medical care was severely restricted in Japan. Roughly speaking, he talks about learning to breathe with the pain, and the sense of release which came from this. At the end of the story he says something like "But I would only be fooling myself, if I thought this in any way prepared me for some similar experience in the future."
    edited October 2009
    Those states around which space is lost. They have diminished over time , but......

Charlotte Joko beck says she does not think there is anyone who is 100% non-dual presence all the time....99% maybe. Practice goes on. It becomes more and more forgiving.
  • edited October 2009
    Is a pure condition any "closer" to the unconditioned than an impure one?

It's not absolutely "closer", but it is relatively "closer".
  • edited October 2009
    Is a pure condition any "closer" to the unconditioned than an impure one? No. Is a quiescent condition any more like the the unconditioned than a turbulent one? No. What does this mean for practice? What does this mean for cutting to the heart of the matter?
    define what you mean by pure and impure and we can give you a traditionally based answer.
    edited October 2009
    I do not want to be quoting or quoted sutras. I want to here from YOUR practice... first hand. In your own words.

Morally pure (not an absolute matter). Psychologically pure(ditto). Pure in the sense of peoples idea of what behavior "enlightened" practitioners should have (this varies in Buddhadharma too). Etc. ....

Lyssa: Relatively closer?! No. Thats a funny kind of "unconditioned" you have there.
    edited October 2009
    Lyssa has a point. From the absolute perspective of a heedful mind, "pure" and "impure" don't come up. But when mired in samsara, and knowing that you are, they matter a lot.
    edited October 2009
    Lyssa has a point. From the absolute perspective of a heedful mind, "pure" and "impure" don't come up. But when mired in samsara, and knowing that you are, they matter a lot.
    Relative impurity does matter in the relative mind. "I" would rather be a good guy than a crook. But we are talking about the unconditioned. Everything is precisely what it is... as such. One cannot approach it. Gradual approach serves to play-out gradual approach, to ware itself out. Then perhaps in exhaustion or up against the wall....recognition is sudden, like an arc across a gap.
    edited October 2009
    Yep, release is sudden, but purity and impurity matter for the capacity to release.
    edited October 2009
    Yep, release is sudden, but purity and impurity matter for the capacity to release.
    That seems to be the case. Can you expand on that? How has this process been for you?
    edited October 2009
    It might be more convincing to look at how it's been for you. Were you initially capable of remaining present in the face of your wife's life-threatening illness? If not, what kinds of things came up as you were learning to?
    edited October 2009
    That is good and raw. Yes, I could be the terms of her needs.. no drama. We were both present, and she is remarkable in that way. Five years ago it would have been another story.

There is (apologize for the word) paradox here. Samsara is endless disequilibrium, always approaching equilibrium but never reaching it. Practically it means tying loose ends forever. The gradual approach in my experience amounts to the hopeless task of self improvement. One purifies forever. It is only when the hopelessness of final purification was unavoidable that sudden recognition occured. Still gradual purification continues, endless as it is.
    edited October 2009
    Well, it's gradual until it's sudden. :)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2009

I am having a hard time understanding but I'll just drop in my two cents again :confused:

First of all you actually hit the heart of the matter here: what does this mean to practice? The defining aspect of Buddhist thought is its practical application. Even if one can grasp the meaning of non-duality in its full scope, if it is not put into practice its worthless. So let's examine how it applies in the threefold training.

The whole non-duality deal is mostly a Mahayana thing. As far as practice goes, though, even the Mahayana lineages have a definite course of practice. The "anything goes" as far as morality is concerned is for enlightened beings. Mind you, even Bodhisattvas have their conduct restricted by vows, characteristics and perfections.

As far as concentration goes (this is where it gets tricky), the garbage that appears while one tries to meditate is seen as part of the "absolute concept", so there is no mirror where the dust can settle (type of thing). What does this mean in practice? I don't know, its a mystery to me :-/ but I would guess you wouldn't have to worry much about whether what goes through your mind is wholesome or not, or it it results from this or that, you just focus your mind because, since emptiness is all encompassing, judging your mental states would be grasping duality and leading you away from nibanna.

In what concerns wisdom, in the non-dual system of Mahayana you have to dismiss the appearance of diversity, closely related to the idea of shunyata. In Theravada, wisdom means seeing things as they really are, respecting particularities, so there are wholesome and unwholesome actions and so on and so forth.
  • edited November 2009
    Negative actions require a stronger grasping to a self/true existence.
  • edited November 2009
    Does the unconditioned not cut through the heart of the matter irrespective of positive-negative, pure-impure, right-wrong, quiescent-turbulent? How mistaken can one be if mistakes are the means of learning? How unconditionally perfect must one be to not even be aware of such blindingly shining perfection? Mighty damn perfect. The unconditioned has got our back and won't let us down no matter how we dream up scenarios with which to analyze it, label it or dissect it. Sure, all the other crap gets in the way because we are just not ready yet to give up all this groovy, down-home, comfy, familiar, identifying samsara, known in one circle as shared reality, in another as practice. And the unconditioned is boundless, limitless and unknowable - yet familiar and connected.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Does the unconditioned not cut through the heart of the matter irrespective of positive-negative, pure-impure, right-wrong, quiescent-turbulent?

In my own simple view, being unconditioned is opposed to being conditioned, it means being rid of kleshas. Without kleshas there would be no volitional formations, breaking dependent arising. It has nothing to do with erasing differences from different things.

Equalling the opposites seems to be "it", but it doesn't hold any practical truth to it, so I think seeing the whole deal as breaking a link of dependent arising makes it much simpler to grasp. We actually do things everyday that take a step aside from the conditioned state, usually the simpler things, we just don't notice it because we are so enthralled with the search for nibanna that we don't hear it knocking on our door.

We think we should search for a way to make opposites come together, yearning for enlightenment, through years of meditation and study, but drinking a glass of water - who knows? - might hold exactly what we are looking for. :om:
    edited November 2009
    The conditioned is layered over the unconditioned. Sky covered by clouds and all that. The point is, knowing that on a practical level means knowing that the unconditioned is accessible even in the most turbulent, disturbing experiences.
    edited November 2009
    being unconditioned is opposed to being conditioned
    oh dear
    edited November 2009
    The conditioned is layered over the unconditioned. Sky covered by clouds and all that. .

That is a funny kind of "unconditioned" as well.

The unconditioned is not accessable. No escape, nothing but. Sudden.
    edited November 2009
    Neither timeless nor timebound. Neither peaceful nor turbulent. Not Nirvana, not Samsara.
    edited November 2009
    What do you mean by the unconditioned?
    edited November 2009
    What do you mean by the unconditioned?

MU!!!!!!!.......only kidding:lol: The un-conditioned. and no I'm not being a smart*ss. I'll dance around and come back from another angle.
    edited November 2009
    OK, I thought you meant awareness of each aspect of the present moment's experience. If you meant something more esoteric and harder to point to, it could be that we've been talking at cross purposes.
    edited November 2009
    awareness of each aspect of the present moment's experience
    Not other than that. This is touchy, I dont want to be sloppy. It is a good discussion. I'll dance around and come back from another angle, we are not at cross purposes. In fact we are probably on the same page, if not paragraph.
  • edited November 2009
    Labeling the unconditioned when we have admitted it's ineffable nature should be touchy. But for the sake of discussion and dancing a tight tango around it - would "original self", "authentic self", "shunyata", et. al not be synonymous with this unconditioned concept?
    edited November 2009
    As bullocks says when we talk about the “unconditioned” it is touchy. The challenge is to comprehend how radical the negation of the subject is. It is so radical that even the negation is negated. There are no traces. Perhaps we could say poetically of direct seeing, that the realization of the true subject is the realization of the object ALONE. True subject is object-alone. There is a tendency to hypostatize “awareness”, “Space”, “ground”, even “groundlessness”. These are convenient fictions. Emptiness is not a negative essence, it is forms non-obstruction. No emptiness, only form alone, unobstructed. These are poetic terms.
    Body-mind and world are self-luminous, unobstructed, and absolutely alone, without a witness. There is no effort in this.
    edited November 2009
    Yes, the subjectlessness is important.
    edited November 2009
    I want to make clear something Five Bells. The tone of my assersion is "this is how it is" but what I am asserting is that this is the absolute truth of my experience. Yet I am forced to say that I cannot say it is so for you. Talk about tricky. This is the reason I like to hear people speak in their own words. When these kind of threads consist of people quoting sutras at each other the implicit claim is that you are speaking for Buddhism intead of your own honest practice.
    edited November 2009
    In that respect, I even have a problem with the term "unconditioned." It's not your term, or a common usage of the term. It makes the referent sound mysterious and remote, when actually it is simple and right here. Of course, that's a problem with any term. I know someone who thought they had to struggle to get in touch with "direct experience." :) But at least in that case, one can point out what the words mean in common usage, and show that the referent is nothing special, that it's right here.

Also, "unconditioned" refers to only one aspect of the referent. Of course, so does "direct experience." But from a practical perspective, I think it's more important to emphasize attending to direct experience, rather than an ontological assertion about (lack of) causes and conditions.
    edited November 2009
    Any positive assertion means projecting a referent, even if is a positive image of a negative:rolleyes:. It is like letting go of a sweater while hanging onto a thread, then letting go of a thread and while hanging onto a fiber...etc.

The best (and most painful) teaching I ever got was when a Zen teacher yelled at me..... "You!!...Shut up!" in front of the whole Sangha. I thought he hated me. But when I saw him in the hallway later, he gave me the most beautiful smile.
    edited November 2009
    Yep, it all comes down to a killing of some kind.
    69.a. The master and all the monks were out hoeing. When the
    master saw Obaku approach, he stopped working and propped himself up on his hoe. Obaku said: "Would this fellow be tired?" The master replied: "I have as yet not even lifted my hoe. Why should I be tired?" Obaku hit him. The master grabbed the stick, gave Obaku a good blow and knocked him over. Obaku called the superintendent to help him up. The superintendent, doing so, remonstrated: "Venerable, how can you permit the impudence of this madman?" Obaku was hardly on his feet when he hit the superintendent. The master, having started to hoe, remarked: "Cremation is the custom everywhere, but here, I bury alive with a single stroke!"
    b. Later, Issan asked Gyosan: "What is the meaning of Obaku's
    beating the superintendent?" Gyosan said: "The real robber ran off; the pursuer got the stick."
  • edited November 2009
    The challenge is to comprehend how radical the negation of the subject is. It is so radical that even the negation is negated.

Within this context there seems to arise the possibility for non-renunciation. How does one practically negate renunciation? Mind isn't made to comprehend this notion easily. Actually, mind is constructed more to misperceive this abstraction and strive for a convenient solution, pedaling madly with the chain off the sprocket (going nowhere fast). Positivism and smiley face sociology have been intricately dissected by Barbara Ehrenreich in "Bright Sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking has Undermined America". Direct experience demands seeing from different perspectives, obtuse angles, unfamiliar territory......
    edited November 2009
    The challenge is to comprehend how radical the negation of the subject is. It is so radical that even the negation is negated
    I think that's an overly complex way of looking at it. It's simply abandoning the struggle associated with self-cherishing by abandoning the notion of a disconnected self. You can say "Don't negate the subject. Don't not negate the subject." Or you can just say "Rest."
    edited November 2009
    We'll have to disagree on that one. The residue of assumption that there is an experiencer is real. It is tenacious. It is a silent operating system. The notion of pure awareness hidden behind the clouds is an expression of that.

......Also...... not rest either. This is why it is sudden. Absolutely nothing changes in the body-mind. Initially It carries on exactly the same on every level including the most subtle.
    edited November 2009
    This thread, because of the subtle subject, is really pivoting around language. So just to clarify....When talking about the "unconditioned" or "emptiness" we are talking about a negative. Now......there is no such thing as an "absence", only an absence of something that affirms the presence of something else. In the case of the "unconditioned/emptiness" this refers to a unique negation, it is the absence of "I" that affirms everything . It is the end result of "neti neti" pushed past all eternalism. So just be clear.... that is the use of the term in the opening post of this thread.
    edited November 2009
    Sounds good to me. Not sure what you mean when you say nothing changes, though. The practice is concerned with the end of suffering. Isn't that an evolution?
    edited November 2009
    Sounds good to me. Not sure what you mean when you say nothing changes, though. The practice is concerned with the end of suffering. Isn't that an evolution?
    In recognition, things as they are, are already unbound. That is sudden. Yet relative purification , endless as at is, goes on.
    edited November 2009
    Sounds good.
  • edited November 2009
    Richard,

I would like to hear more about what you mean by "Eternalism," please. Perhaps this shouldn’t be dismissed with one word, and a swipe of the hand.

I agree with you that one finally realizes that there is “no escape,” and that this is the place where despair gives way to freedom. But, perhaps we came to the same conclusion for different reasons? I see any approaching as going away, because nirvana is always dead center or omnipresent.

Perhaps this is why Buddha said, “When I gained 100% enlightenment, I gained absolutely nothing.”

Did he mean by this, that he was wasting his time up until that day, looking for something that never was or never could be? I think not.

It is my understanding that, what Buddha found on that day, was previous to the mind’s multitude of concepts, and explanations. It was fundamental reality.

S9
    edited November 2009
    Not fundamental reality in some external sense, but an experiential apprehension of the fundamental reality of personal experience.
    edited November 2009
    “Eternalism” isn't something just cooked up by me. It is the result of a lot of practice by a lot of people.
    The Dharma is frequently misrepresented in Eternalistic terms in the spiritual market place these days. Anatta is commonly taken to mean the negation of an unreal separate self, that affirms a real Eternal Self . In other words No-self is seen as a sly, purist way of saying Self, but that is not what was taught by the Tathagata.

Here are two simple ways of pointing at this....

There isn't an unchanging "no-thing" at the subjective pole of awareness. The non-obstruction or pure receptivity found at the subjective pole, is not other than the objective poles extension. They are just two sides of one action... not separate entities. Like pushing and pulling.

Another way of putting it is that the subject and object co-arise . One cannot exist without the other, and there is no unchanging witness to this arising. Only a stream of selfless arising.
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells,
    Yes, exactly, “experiential apprehension.” We are not so much approaching a new way of “Being,” but rather rediscovering what has been here all along, yet gone unnoticed; our own 'Fundamental Being'. This is certainly NOT a mind object.

S9
    edited November 2009
    If it's not a "mind object," in the sense of being an aspect of personal experience, then it's irrelevant to Buddhist practice.
  • edited November 2009
    Richard,

I agree with you that ‘Anatta’ is so very subtle that it is, all too often, misunderstood.

The mind is a very capable instrument, but unfortunately, it is under the impression that there is nothing outside of its self, or that if there were something, it would certainly just be a void.

For this reason, in order to accommodate all of the imaginary possibilities, mind splits itself up into many conceptual selves like, the objective self, the subjective self, and my all time favorite ‘The Watcher (self);” the one that observes these other two selves from afar. All of these are of course manufactured by the mind.

What I believe you are saying is that, this Watcher (who is often seen as our eternal and non-dying self) is also merely an imaginary subdivision.

When a more advanced student of Buddhism speaks of the "Unchanging", he is speaking of something that he himself has witnessed as being something outside of the mind. Likewise with eternal, it has nothing to do with time,(another invention of mind). We are speaking here of something (obviously, not an object) previous to the mind, or “Who you were, before you were born.” We are speaking here of something not captured within the dualistic mind, at/all, and likewise not conveniently smashing duality together in order to create a unity either.

You cannot get around this 'fundamental what-ever-it-is' by simply calling it "a stream of selfless arising." What you are trying to depict as a process (very Taoist) will not stop our crafty minds from instantly changing, even this, into a mind object, or 'a doing' as a Hindu might say in the Gita.

So what is at the root of ‘all this’ going on? What either supports it, or merely allows it?

S9
    edited November 2009
    When a more advanced student of Buddhism speaks of the "Unchanging", he is speaking of something that he himself has witnessed as being something outside of the mind.

No. Buddhist practice is not concerned with anything beyond direct experience. If there is something "outside the mind" (I'm not saying there is or isn't), how is it apprehended? It is imputed from experience. This imputation is a fabrication. One result of Buddhist practice is development of the capacity to fully experience the process of fabrication. This is not to say the fabrication is a lie about some external reality. Ontological positions have no place in Buddhist practice at all. They are just another aspect of experience to open to and develop awareness of.