Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Karma/Devachan

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, this is my first post and it may be kind of heavy, but here goes. I have read about the Buddhist/Eastern concept of both Karma and Devachan(correct me if I am wrong but by this I mean "heaven". Although I know I have become a better person and am making a concious effort to be less selfish, I am utterly ashamed of past selfishness. This includes attempted suicide. From what I understand, the consequences of suicide are very tragic. I am very anxious that even though I did not succeed and have truly learned from this past mistake, I may have already "screwed up". But if I am tormented enough to join a message board to just to get feedback, have I alrready suffered? Have I "payed" my debt to karma? Or should I be terrified?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Izitso87 wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first post and it may be kind of heavy, but here goes. I have read about the Buddhist/Eastern concept of both Karma and Devachan(correct me if I am wrong but by this I mean "heaven". Although I know I have become a better person and am making a concious effort to be less selfish, I am utterly ashamed of past selfishness. This includes attempted suicide. From what I understand, the consequences of suicide are very tragic. I am very anxious that even though I did not succeed and have truly learned from this past mistake, I may have already "screwed up". But if I am tormented enough to join a message board to just to get feedback, have I alrready suffered? Have I "payed" my debt to karma? Or should I be terrified?
    the aspiration for rebirth in Dewachen alone is enough for you to be liberated from the suffering that you have experienced in this life.
    cultivate it as much as possible.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I agree with Shenpen, Izit. If attempted suicide (I assume it wasn't successful :rolleyes:) brought you to the Dharma, then that's a good thing. And there are methods to purify negative karma. But simply the thought of being of benefit to others, as Shenpen says, is enough in itself to purify a lot of negative stuff (which we all have, of course).

BTW, Dewachen is often referred to as a kind of heaven, but in reality it's more of a state of mind in which the impetus to enlightenment can proceed without obstacles. Dewachen, then, can be right here.

Palzang
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Izitso87 wrote: »
    I am very anxious that even though I did not succeed and have truly learned from this past mistake, I may have already "screwed up". But if I am tormented enough to join a message board to just to get feedback, have I alrready suffered? Have I "payed" my debt to karma? Or should I be terrified?

There was a long discussion of karmic debt on this forum recently, starting here. Basically, it's a bankrupt notion. Every moment is a fresh start.

There will be reactivity and feelings of shame associated with these past actions, which will come up in practice. But in a committed practitioner, these phenomena only deepen and accelerate the practice.
  • edited October 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    There was a long discussion of karmic debt on this forum recently, starting here. Basically, it's a bankrupt notion. Every moment is a fresh start.

The notion isn't bankrupt, but there's a problem with the semantics (specifically with the word "debt").

The moment after I punch you is indeed a fresh start, but that realization doesn't keep your fist from hitting my face.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the responses, everybody. They help a lot. I should mention that until 2 days ago, I knew none of these concepts, but became very interested suddenly. I actually consider myself a Jew, but I believe all religions have a message and the key is to piece together the puzzle. Anyway, thanks again for the terrific answers:).